• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SCONES

R

red stripe

This is the recipe I use all the time.
they are easy to make, and taste great.

1 lb self-rising flour (3 ½ cups)
4 oz margarine
4 oz sugar (scant 2/3 rd cup) 4-tsp baking powder
1 egg beaten\
¼ to ½ pint of milk (1/2 to 1 ¼ cup)
pinch of salt

note: an English pint is 2 1/2 American cups.
And I usually add in about ½ cup of currants. Raisins are too big, so if you want to use them, I would toss them in a bit of flour and then chop them up a bit. In fact, you should toss the currants in flour and shake them off before adding, as it stops them from clumping.

Preheat oven to 450*
sift flour and salt. Cut or rub in margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Add sugar and baking powder.
Stir.
(Add currants if you wish)
Add egg, reserving a little for glazing.
Mix in enough milk to make soft dough. Roll out in plenty of flour to about 1 inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter (about 1 ½ inch across) or make into one large round..
Brush with the leftover egg mixed with a little milk and bake for 10 to 15 mins.
I find that I do not need the rolling pin, as the dough is so easy to handle, you can pat it out by hand.

I serve them with Strawberry, raspberry or Blackberry jam. and also Devon Cream. sadly about all I can get these days is the one they sell in jars. it is called Double Cream, or Devon cream.
Or I use one of the recipes for making your own or a mock cream. I will add them in a separate post.