Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Seawall - When is the Celebration?

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Debbie, May 3, 2001.

1. Debbie

Debbie Guest

I was just curious when you are sailing or if you had what you thought verses Commodore? Has anyone heard if they are going to start sailing the Commodore ships again soon? We were parked opposite the Enchanted Isle in Montego Bay last year in November and got some great video of it... Debbie

2. Seawall

Seawall Guest

Hi Debbie; we were on the Celebration last week. We had a great time, however, looking back, comparing the two lines, I actually prefer the Enchanted Isle to the Celebration. I suppose it is because I was spoiled to the old liner type ships in sailing Commodore. Also, the Commodore cruises were more up-beat, and the crews much friendlier. NOT saying the the Celebration crew was bad - they were certainly very polite and eager to please. I think it all boils down to the fact that I was used to cruising on small ships - under 700 pax. I just have to adjust my expectations, the cruises I will be taking from now on out will be on larger ships, with many more pax. The Celebration was full, so I suppose it had slightly over 1400 pax on it.
    I love being at sea, and nothing will ever change that!!
    As far as Commodore goes, I don't think they will be coming back. I heard they had sold the Crown, and the other two ships are laid up somewhere. The Enchanted Capri was built in the seventies, and the Enchanted Isle in the fifties. When we were on board the Isle last August, one of the officers commented that parts were getting hard to find for the ship, and it that it would be hard to update the ship's safety specs. I hate to see that Grand lady go, she has quite a history as one of the Moore-McCormack lines ships.

3. Debbie

Debbie Guest

Seawall,

I always said I would try the Enchanted Isle. I heard great things from everyone that went on her about the staff and the food.. I guess I always thought "next time" not realising there would be no next time... I'm sorry I missed her! I agree - the Celebration actually seemed nice and small compared to the 2000 + mega liners we had been on and it was nice not having so many passengers to deal with - 700 would be awesome... I seems you get more personal attention and you get to know your fellow passengers a lot more the less there is of them... Have you ever though of trying Renessance - they are small and we were thinking about it for a different experience.. Thanks, :) Debbie

4. jeffstern

jeffstern Guest

We sailed on Commodore's Caribe I, many years ago, when she sailed from Miami. It was one of our more memorable cruises. Gotta go along with Seawall, the older, smaller ships were a lot more fun and a lot friendlier. The cruise lines try to tell us that they build the new, mega-ships (70,000+) so the passengers have more choices. That's B-S!!! They build bigger ships because they can put 2,000-3,000 passengers on a ship that costs only a little more to operate than one with 800-900 passengers. "Bottom Line" is more profit for the line!