Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Sewage smell on Star

Discussion in 'Princess Cruises' started by IndyCruiser, Nov 29, 2006.

1. IndyCruiser

IndyCruiser Guest

There is a thread on another board with over a hundred posts from past passengers regarding a strong smell of sewer gas on the Star. The problem seems to permeate the ship even on upper decks and balconies. I will be on this ship in January and am getting nervous about these reports. It is odd however that I see no mention of this issue on this site. Has anyone on this board been on the Star recently to chime in?

2. kjc

kjc Guest

Indycruiser,

My husband and I were on the Star for a 5 day cruise on 11/6 - 11/11 - just got back a couple weeks ago. Now, I have almost no sense of smell, so I woudln't typically answer, but my husband is freakish about smells. We have 5 cats and if he can smell the litterbox, he's not happy. He never said one thing about smells on the ship at all. I will ask him today and let you know if he didn't say anything, but I would think he would have mentioned it. We were in room Aloha 243, and our room was fine, our stewardess wonderful. The staff was excellent as well. I'm working on my review. The only thing I will do differently is not book airfare through Princess. I will fly in the day before and take away the stress of making flights and getting on the ship!
    Let me know if you have other questions! Kim

3. IndyCruiser

IndyCruiser Guest

Kim,

Thanks for your reply. We are in Aloha 231 so it is almost next to where you were. We should have the same cabin attendant you had so I'm glad to hear she was good. It's good to hear you had no odor problems because like I said, on another board, past passengers (several on the same week as you) are really upset about the pervasive smell they encountered on the Star. I can put up with anything on a cruise but a sewage smell is one thing I can't tolerate!

We always fly in the day before our cruise as this eliminates any chance of missing ship because of snow related delays. Also you don't have to start the cruise worn out from traveling all day.

Don

4. CruiseAholic

CruiseAholic Guest

I've been on the Star Princess 3 times, most recently 10/28 Canada / New England and I have never noticed a sewer smell.

5. brovol

brovol Guest

i started the thread on the other board, when we were on the ship. as you can tell from most of the replies, my comments were confirmed by other passengers. unfortunately for you, we were also on the aloha deck, and the sewage smell was worst out on our balconies. as i suggested on that board, if i had the option to change, i would choose another ship; or at least a cabin on the port side of the ship. the starboad side is the strongest stench.

6. IndyCruiser

IndyCruiser Guest

Brovol,
    I noticed from your other posts your cabin was more midship and we are towards the front. If the smell was that pervasive I can't imagine the other passengers putting up with it. I have experienced sewage odor (but only in isolated parts of the ship) on other, mostly older ships and as you know there is nothing more disgusting than sewer gas. I can tolerate bad food, poor service, slow elevators, chair hogs etc., but you can't get away or tolerate what you are describing. What did other passengers say and how can Princess just ignore it? I have read posts from other passengers on the same cruise who said they either didn't notice it at all (like Cruiseaholic) or it was only brief and intermittent, to others, from not only your sailing but previous sailings on the Star saying it was definitely bad. On the other board your OP has generated 145 replies in only a few days confirming your experience. I guess I have to believe this problem will be remedied by our cruise in January because it too late to change cabins and final payment has already been made.

7. captainfred

captainfred Guest

Good morning. I just signed up because I felt a need to reply. We were on the Star 11-18 to 11-25, Caribe 619, We could only use the balcony a couple of times because of this putrid smell! We had an extra day at sea because of high seas and couldn't spend it on our balcony. We complained a number of times, they finally sent a maintenance man up THURSDAY and all he did was say yes, it smells. They had the cabin stewardess scrub the balcony which did no good. I am writing a letter to Princess, they owe us big time! I would contact them to ensure this problem is being addressed because it is serious! You could even get an occasional whiff inside the ship near doorways that were being used. When we were tendering back from Cozumel, we began to smell it as we approached the ship. I'm also curious what this other site is that has the other complaints. Good luck.

8. IndyCruiser

IndyCruiser Guest

Captainfred,I sent you a PM with info re: the other board.

At least from your response, Princess somewhat acknowledged a problem but from what they did (cleaning your deck) they tried to pretend it was just a problem with your cabin. I still can't believe passengers didn't band together and go to pursers' desk en masse. Let us know if you get any response from Princess, but it looks like they are ignoring the issue.

9. brovol

brovol Guest

i dont know what to tell you, other than princess gave us no impression that anything will be immediately done about the problem. i suspect that something will eventually be done, because those who follow the boards will either not book this ship, or will stay away from the starboard side. we have, like you, experienced isolated smells in certain areas on other ships, and have never complained, because it was in an area that we visited only rarely. this, however, was right out our balcony door, and in other areas of the ship. i agree with you that others had to have complained; but obviously i have no info on that. i do plan on sending princess a letter this week. i doubt that i will receive a meaningfull reply.

10. captainfred

captainfred Guest

Princess has been very responsive in the past to complaints so do not hesitate to send them a letter. They need to know of these problems in order to correct them. We have never really had problems before so we never particpated in these forums but after this I will be checking very carefully before I book anything! Thanks to those who have replied so far.

11. kjc

kjc Guest

Indycruiser,

I asked my husband this weekend about the smell, and he said, yes, he could smell something. He assumed it was a ventilation problem. He said he could smell it when we were down on the lower decks, like the dining rooms, shops, bars. He didn't smell it on the balcony - and you're on the same deck that we were on (Aloha), even same side! So I think you should be ok there (fingers crossed). I asked if it took away from the cruise and made it less enjoyable, and he said no. I guess I should be happy my sniffer doesn't work that good! Enjoy your cruise!!
    Kim

12. tango55

tango55 Guest

We're sailing next October on the Star, in the Mediterranean. We have an aft Balcony and I'm sure hoping it is noticeable there! We booked so early to be sure to get that cabin! I will be very upset if we can't enjoy our balcony, it will be our first one!

Terry

13. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

My friends are on the Star right now and said they have not smelled the smell you're talking about for the first 3 days. Then, when they went to the Sun Deck above the Lido Deck, they smelled something like that chemical they put on your hair when you're getting a perm and something else mixed in with that smell. It was only on the starboard side of that particular deck from what they say.

14. IndyCruiser

IndyCruiser Guest

What your friends are telling you seems to be consistent with what others are reporting. The smell is worse on starboard side towards the front of the ship. The odor ranges everywhere from moderate to the point of not being able to use your balcony. On our upcoming cruise we had a starboard balcony on Aloha deck towards the front booked, so to be safe we changed to a port side balcony midship. Even though we had to move to a deck lower I didn't want to chance it.

15. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Guest

We sail 3/10/07 on L304 and L306 - Has anyone heard anything else about this smell?

16. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Donna, there's a very, very long thread all about it at Cruise Critic's Princess board. :)

17. p.g.

p.g. Guest

Has anyone noticed this smell on other Princess ships, especially the CP?
    We never noticed it on the Golden or the GRand , but I have seen many posts about this problem on the Star, and I am tending to believe and side with those who report it as so many have complained about it, and not just on these boards.

18. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Nope, not on the Grand or Coral Princess. =dunno