Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Skagway - How much can you do there?

Discussion in 'Alaska & Pacific Northwest Ports' started by alyce, Jun 27, 2004.

1. alyce

alyce Guest

Can you do the Yukon horseback tour and take the scenic railway if you're in port from 7 AM to 9 PM.

2. Yukon

Yukon Guest

It seems very unlikely since the horse trip fills the middle of the day (10:30 - 4:30), with not enough room on either end for the train.

3. z236936

z236936 Guest

When we went to Skagway, we were able to complete the early AM train ride on the White Pass Train & then did a Yukon Trail Hike, it was a 5 mile hike to end point, then rafted back down.

It was great =coolsign

http://www.skagwaynews.com This is great site for local info.

If your into movie stars, they are filming a movie with Robin Williams there. :jester

I enjoyed Skagway so much that I read the local paper every chance I get on line. The town has little more than 800 people. It was a great port of call.

I hope you have a great trip, bring good binocluars....

We were there last Sept. 2003 on the Star Princess.

=lolgang =lolgang =lolgang =lolgang =lolgang

Paul E. Ethier

4. alyce

alyce Guest

Thanks, Paul, but maybe we'll just do the train and check out Skagway the rest of the time. Any favorites in Skagway that you love???

5. l7thtee

l7thtee Guest

Thanks, Paul. What are your recommendations for "good binoculars"?

6. Cheap ones that can see far..... And, I nmean just that....

Paul

Kindness is Free

I wish I was going it was such a wonderful trip...... Hey, I have bag's, Tux is cleaned, Now I have gloves, jacket etc. Bring me along in your luggage!!!

Do you know how hard it is to find winter clothes for Alaska in August if you live in Tampa, Florida?

If I can be of any help I will be glad to assist.

:cuckoo about Alaska

7. cruisegary

cruisegary Guest

re: winter clothes in Tampa

You really do not need winter clothes. Just layers of normal clothes. Jeans or slacks, maybe a few long sleeve shirts. Some type of rain jacket might be good though

8. Now you tell me... =shrug

After last years cruise, I have all of this left over so I plan to go back, don't want to waste ya know...

Paul

=cuckoo :FL

9. mlaihome

mlaihome Guest

Last cruise we were in with the Star Princess, we took the 8 hours bus ride into Yukon, and the driver dropped us off the downtown (just one main street) and we did our major shopping there. I found it to be cheaper to make purchases in Skagway than other ports. Also, we had taken a lot of pictures in the downtown area. There is no need to a cab or bus ride, as it is very close to the terminal.

10. 51810ss

51810ss Guest

Do you recommend the 8 hour Yukon bus ride? Did you enjoy it? What did you see?

Cause we are going there this Sept., 2004. Thank you

11. lisalovlee33

lisalovlee33 Guest

sorry wrong post.

12. Mbandy

Mbandy Guest

If you're a beer drinker try the Alaskan Amber. Brewed in Juneu. Mighty tasty! Have some at the Red Onion Saloon, an old saloon (and former brothel) from the gold rush days right on the main drag in Skagway.

Happy Cruising,

Michael

13. Night rider

Night rider Guest

Hi;

We took the Yukon horseback that left at 8am and had plenty of time to visit around Skagway when we returned. I know Southeast has done up to 3 tours a day if there is a demand.

The tour was great as we stopped and glassed for wildlife and spotted wild sheep on the mountain. The guides were helpful and shared some fun time in the cookhouse at the end of the tour.
    Emeald lake is out of this world and shouldn't be missed.

Our friends rented a car and drove to the camp and spent some time in Carcross on their return to Skagway.

Good luck.