Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Sneakers in dining room?

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by littlebobdog, May 4, 2004.

1. littlebobdog

littlebobdog Guest

We are booked on 7/12/04 Ecstasy. First cruise for me and my two boys, 10 and 12. Needless to say, we are all very excited .

I plan to have dinners in the dining room with my boys every night of the cruise. I already have their clothes figured out, I think a nice long sleeve shirt with a pair of khakis will do. But what about shoes? Will a pair of clean nice sneakers be OK? Or do I have to go out and buy them something more formal and nicer?

Carnival Ecstasy - 7/12/2004

2. ozzy

ozzy Guest

Sneakers will be fine for the boys.

3. mardaho

mardaho Guest

they are fine to wear

4. randy

randy Guest

For formal night you might want to add a tie and dressier shoes, but you can even put 'em in polo shirts for the rest of the nights and they'll look great. Our Carnival cruises have been more "relaxed" in the attire department than many others. I have seen gents in the dining room on formal night without coat and tie, but they are in the minority (as are those in tuxedos!).

5. ozzy

ozzy Guest

For formal nights you can add a tie but don't worry about the sneakers, they'll be just fine for "formal" nights as well.

6. Deac15

Deac15 Guest

In regards to formal night. I don't have a coat I can wear alone, should I bring a suit, or is a shirt and tie acceptable?

7. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

nah.. these folks got it all wrong. Sneakers? Nope. They require a tuxedo with satin lapels, black botton covers with a satin tie. But there's no pressure here.

Now for shoes. Black patent leather only to be worn with both laces perfectly measured. Still no pressure. Dry-cleaned, and pressed only upon entering the dining area.

Now after all that, enoy your trip. :lol

8. trina312

trina312 Guest

That is not true. You do not need a tuxedo. I have seen people with kids with polo shirts and long sleeve shirts with out ties. They look really nice. Now for the tennis shoes, I have not seen any kids with them on. All that I have seen they had on regular brown or black shoes, that really looked nice. But please do not go out and get a tuxedo for an adult or child, because it is not necessary. Hope this helps.

Carnival Legend 4/03
    Carnival Miracle 4/04

9. ljeanbrown

ljeanbrown Guest

trina312,
    Ken was just kidding..... :lol Reread his post and you really should see that it is a joke.

10. KkarenL

KkarenL Guest

Ken? Are you causing trouble? :nono

LOL

11. Sharkin

Sharkin Guest

Go Ken!

12. lainie

lainie Guest

Sneakers are cute!!! :grin

13. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Man I'm turnin' red I'm laughin' so damn hard here! :lol!~!! Whew! Just stirin' things up round here! :lol!! Hey John... I"ll be sittin right across from Suer with her sneakers on formal night! =rofl

Post Edited (05-05-04 14:07)

14. megamind

megamind Guest

After 9 cruises, I'll be darn if I can remember ever looking to see what shoes people are wearing. The servers are too busy to look. The only other people that may see are fellow passengers that you will never see again in your lifetime. It's a vacation. Do what feels good for YOU.

Megamind

15. Ken, I would love to have you as a tablemate on a cruise !!!!!! As far as wearing sneakers in the dinning room for dinner, casual night or formal night, my siggy says it all :grin

16. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Well dog gone Suer!! what'n the hell we waitin' for! Sure as heck rather be on the pond than being at this desk listening to people troubles.. :thumb

17. Swifty

Swifty Guest

I think every child needs to have a pair of dress shoes. It would only show no signs of class on the parents part if they came into the dining room with sneakers on. This isn't Disney World. Show some pride and look nice. You don't cruise take a cruise every day.

18. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

Buy dress shoes for occasional use, yes, but not just for a cruise. I don't have any kids, but I sure do teach a lot of poor kids and see the money problems many have. Besides, kids grow quickly and may be out of the shoes within a few months--and good shoes are expensive for some people. Yes, I do agree that it is good to have kids wear good shoes on good occasions, but like they tell me - things are very, very, very different than when I was a kid or younger adult. Most of the kids I teach live from day to day and so do their parents (if they are lucky enough to have one home to teach them).

ps I am not claiming that the original poster is poor or any bad thing. I think she? is like the typical caring parent, who wants her kids comfortable (its their vacation too) and yet wants to be appropriately dressed at the same time. I have seen adults not dressed properly on formal nights, and no one really cares. They are either too busy serving or being served. LITTLEBOBDOG, just relax and have fun, fun and then more fun. Just be nice to the poor vacationing teacher!

GREAT CRUISING

19. randy

randy Guest

I guess I am an anachronistic minority, and should retract my earlier post. A cruise is only a cruise, and it should be whatever you want it to be. If you/your kids are more comfortable in jeans or sneakers, go for it. It is your money, your cruise, your life, and you should be true to yourself. Don't let social pressure, tradition, or "suggested dress for the evening" influence you in the least. You will see a wide variety of apparel in the dining room, and will certainly spot others who dress up or down just as much as you. Have fun, and save the money you would have spent on dressier shoes on a family portrait on formal night. It will be a nice memento, and last a lot longer than any shoes you buy your kids.

20. littlebobdog

littlebobdog Guest

Swifty,

What's that talk about class and pride? My kids are well mannered, loving, kind, fun and considerate. They have more class and pride than some spoiled, rotten kids with expensive shoes. We are from California and we don't dress up as much and as often as people from the rest of the country. I am just trying to find out what's appropriate and what's not. So just BACK OFF.