Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Special Rates for retired teachers etc ?

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by KatieSue, Mar 5, 2004.

1. KatieSue

KatieSue Guest

On the "Veendam Update" thread there is a discussion of special rates for teachers, police, firefighters and active military.

My question is:

Does anyone know if these rates also apply to retired teachers, police, and firefighters?

Thanks

2. I am sorry to be the bad person here, but WHY should anyone get a better rate because of there CHOSEN profession. Most of you make more in your retirement money, then what the average person makes working.

Barry

3. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Katie Sue - edited to say...

I just checked with HAL. Yes, this covers retired teachers, etc.

Post Edited (03-05-04 12:06)

4. cjb

cjb Guest

Barry, I'm sorry, but I think you are a bit out of line with your comment about folks getting special fares because of their chosen profession. In fact, it rather stung! Teachers' salaries may vary across the nation, but it is still the most underpaid profession to be occupied by folks with many, many years of advanced schooling and a list of degrees and certifications a mile long. I'll not dive in with the other information, such as continual requirements for certification, etc., etc., but our salaries are quite miniscule when compared to those in the private sector. And why don't we leave? Many do. That is why there is such a shortage of qualified, dedicated educators. I have teachers in my building who absolutely love their students and are making a hugely positive impact in their lives, but those same teachers work a second job to pay the bills.

Would I be taking my cruise next weekend on MY salary? Absolutely not. We are a dual income family with 2 kids in college, and we have saved a while for this.

As for the military, firefighters, and folks in law enforcement, I won't even dignify that with a response, except to suggest that you walk a mile in ANY of our shoes.

As you say, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it." We school librarians uphold your right to share your opinion, even if we find it to be rather elitist.

HAL is the other class act here. By offering something to thank those who take care of educating, protecting, and defending folks, they show they care.

5. DEJ

DEJ Guest

Is there a special promotion code for the special rate?
    I am retired law enforcement.

6. Santa Fe Jim

Santa Fe Jim Guest

Sorry also, but I have to agree with Barry. Where does the list of "underpaid" deserving occupations end? Nursing? Social work? What about my ten years of active duty military service? I have never even considered asking for any sort of preference for that. I don't think that my most recent occupations that have required degrees and recertifications provide me with any call for special consideration. I get annual vacations, but not the plethora of holidays that governmental workers receive. No defined benefit retirement after a relatively short number of years of work -- companies in the tech fields virtually always have 401k plans, which means that most of my retirement fund comes from my pay, not my employer's contributions.

If I had chosen an occupation based on financial rewards, time off, retirement plans, benefits that I can get from hotels and cruiselines, I wouldn't be in my current job, which is the most satisfying one that I've had in my 47 years of paying into social security.

SFJ

7. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

ShipMaven, thank you -- as always -- for researching our questions. :thumb

8. cjb, I am so sorry that you missed a key word CHOSEN.
    In my part of the USA our teachers avg, $33.22 a hour, that's K-12, and get over 75% of that plus SS when retired, for a 30 year plus teacher.
    I do support ACTIVE DUTY during a war getting a break, but not retired military, which by the why I am.

Barry

9. cjb

cjb Guest

I am speaking as a teacher here. I am very appreciative of HAL offering special rates on selected sailings to teachers; however, I have also seen special rates offered on some internet sites to others whom you mentioned, such as healthcare professionals.

No, I did not enter the profession to become wealthy. I think it is a class act of HAL to make it more affordable for teachers---and then we can come back and share with students those wonderful educational and culturally broadening experiences one encounters with far-flung travel.

I still think HAL is saying 'thanks' to a a valuable group of folks, and they are not doing so because of what we are or are not paid in our profession; they are doing so because they recognize the sacrifices we make to educate our country's children. As for retiring 'well'.......in my state at least, the facts simply do not support that at all.

So, dear curmudgeons, just enjoy your cruises! You never know when another interesting person might join you-----maybe even a teacher!!

10. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Should retired judges get discounts? Afterall, if they remained in private practice of law they would have made alot more money but have sacrificed by giving it up for the bench. They've gotten the criminals out of our communities.

How about Doctors? Gee....they sure contribute alot for all of our "well-being".

How about TSA Workers?

How about .....well, you get the point. The list goes on and on......

11. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

The difference between doctors and teachers is that teachers do not make a living wage, at least not in our part of the country. And judges may put away the criminals, but it's the police officers who put their lives on the line every day to get these criminals into court in the first place.

I have never heard of a judge or doctor working during his or her vacation in order to make ends meet. Many teachers are forced to do this. Even my dad, a retired teacher and principal, took on a job after retirement as educators' pensions are based on educators' salaries.

Carol said it well: "HAL is the other class act here. By offering something to thank those who take care of educating, protecting, and defending folks, they show they care."

Off my soapbox now.

Thank you again, ShipMaven, for answering the original question.

12. cjb

cjb Guest

And, thank you Lisa, for your input, also. Hugs to your Dad for enduring. Absolutely, in my part of the country, teachers must work during their vacations to make ends meet.

And, Barry, sir, of course I read the word CHOSEN. I also spell properly.

Sheesh, folks, this is not an indefinite offer by HAL forever and ever. It doesn't cover every cruise, every cabin class, or every ship.

I sort of compare it to a group of little children, one of whom finds a special gift on his doorstep one day. Other children complain loudly, because they didn't get a special gift on their doorstep, too!! The wise teacher counseled all the children to rejoice in the little boy's good fortune rather than complain about their lack thereof; and, that they all will have their special gifts sometime, also, whether it be from AARP, Mariner Society, AAA, frequent flier miles or other corporate discounts.

And, yes, my soapbox is going back in the closet, too.

Oh, one more thing......anyone retired from anything and wanting to really make a difference, offer to volunteer in one of your local schools. See where your tax dollars go, and share your expertise with a class. We need reading tutors, ESL tutors, math tutors, library clerical help, bulletin board help. Your neighborhood school chock full of PTA Moms already? Drive across town to a Title One school and offer your assistance there.

Time to pack!!

13. gizmo

gizmo Guest

I support ACTIVE DUTY also. As for the rest, I don't think they should get a special rate.

14. Let me tell you about all the towns and states that I have lived in that do not have a problem with funding for there schools, (NONE) remember I was in the military.

Here where I live, our K-12 teachers work 190 days a year, at least that is what they get paid for, because that also includes holidays (many more then most get) spring break and Christmas break, and lets not forget the in-service days that are somehow on a Friday before a Monday holiday that the kids get off, and the teachers are in the school doing there grading, paperwork, etc. They all get someone to give them a ride to work because there is only one or two cars in the parking lot all day.

So think about this (cjb) that $20,000 a year is about $10.00 a hour, so if you or your buddies are getting this much or more in retirement plus you are getting SS on top of this, and some of you get this tax free. You are getting more then most people do working, and you want a break because you are a teacher.

As I said before I am retired Military, and it was my choice, and do not expect to get breaks because I made that choice.

Oh by the way have a good cruise, because no matter what you end up paying for the trip, it is always better to cruise then not.

Barry

Post Edited (03-08-04 13:52)

15. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Barry, first of all, none of us asked for a break. HAL already offered it -- and it's on select sailings only.

Second, $20K a year buys zilch where I live. So does $30K, for that matter, which is what a first-year teacher makes here. To put that into perspective, house prices start in the $300K range.

Finally, teacher development days are definitely work days for the teachers. It is not a time for grading papers, creating lesson plans, or doing miscellaneous paperwork. Those functions are done routinely at home every night.

16. Lisa63, I will ask my good friend Patsy (a 30 year plus teacher) as she is flying down to Disney for the 4 day weekend on next in-service day they have.

As for house prices, 30k a year, etc. so you are saying that they START out making about $20 a hour, a lot more then most people start at. (I get the $20 per hour because they only work about 3/4 of a year)what does that do with there choice of jobs.

We all make a choice of what we want to do with our life's, and you made yours, do not think everyone has to pat you on the back because of it. I don't.

Have a good cruise in 166 days, and try and get another before then.

Barry

17. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Actually, Barry, I am not a teacher. However, I am the daughter, sister, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, or spouse of current, future, or retired teachers. I have seen first hand how hard they work and how many hours they put into their day.

Sorry you don't feel teachers deserve a pat on the back. That's a real shame.

Thanks for the good wishes for the cruise; however, I doubt I'll be able to get in another before then due to my husband's teaching schedule. He can't choose his vacation days like I can. :) In our district, attending professional days (or in-service days) is mandatory.

I think it's time to say that we agree to disagree on this topic.

Post Edited (03-08-04 17:04)

18. cjb

cjb Guest

You know, Barry, I said I was putting my soapbox back in the closet, but for the life of me I cannot understand why you are so upset about this. Have you had some real upsets with teachers in the past? Mercy! As Lisa mentioned, we didn't ask for any consideration, HAL graciously offered it. What do you have against teachers?

Lisa is absolutely correct about staff-development and inservice days. These are required in our area and administrators and Superintendents have very strict guidelines and agendas which they follow. Attendance is required or pay is docked. As for the dearth of cars in the parking lots, it is highly possible that teachers from the building you so carefully observe are all in departmental meetings at other campuses.

As for working only 3/4 of each year, approximately 99% of teachers in my area use at least part of their summer 'break' to take more certification classes, work on a master's degree (or a 2nd master's), or to attend additional staff development workshops and technology workshops. They also come into a non-air conditioned school building to move their classroom from one room to another when staffing dictates a change. They set up their classrooms for the new year.....on their own time, without compensation. .A teacher's work year is not from late August until early June, by any stretch of the imagination, just like our work day is not from 8 a.m. until 3:30. Yessir there are most certainly teachers who do make those hours, however, they are a term you should be well familiar with---R.O.A.D. (for those never in the military, 'retired on active duty')

If you think that the starting salary (and living wage), for a teacher with minimum of 5 years of college and more likely with 7 if they already have a master's degree, should be $20 per hour, time to wake up and smell the coffee. (You don't get certified to teach in 4 years anymore.)

As I said before, if you have time on your hands and feel so strongly about how schools should be run, please consider volunteering. I think your eyes will be opened.
    Please note the correct spelling of the word 'their', used as a possessive. The word 'there' is used as in, "put that book there, please".

Now, go plan a cruise, and relax a bit!

19. I have no problem with teachers as you should have seen by my other posts, I have a problem with people who THINK because they use to do one job or the other that they are something special and deserve to be treated better then someone else, when it is there CHOICE to do this type of work.

As for the extra training, just like any other job you have to keep up on all the new things going on, to get a better job, or position within your company/ school.

Did you decide to become a teacher, because you would get better deal on the cruise, no you did because you found a job you liked to do.

So tell me just WHY do you think you should get a better deal on a Cruise, then anyone else.

I am done here on this thread, I have had enough fun on this one, maybe some of you will understand, I know that the few of you who have cruised with me will.

This is a cruise board and I am sorry to any of you who did not have enough common sense to skip this thread.

I have to start packing for our next cruise, so all of you leaving this weekend just keep a lookout for Wendy and Barry.

Barry

20. gizmo

gizmo Guest

"As for working only 3/4 of each year, approximately 99% of teachers in my area use at least part of their summer 'break' to take more certification classes, work on a master's degree (or a 2nd master's), or to attend additional staff development workshops and technology workshops."

I have a very good friend who is a teacher that does this. Why? To get more money!!!
    Many people can take classes but will they get an increase in salary where they work? NO. If you are a teacher down here just take a class and, YES, you wil get an increase in salary.

Gimme a break! These sob stories about teachers are nonsense. People choose to be teachers.

I have family memebers that are teachers up North, I have friends that are teachers here in the South. Yes, they have summers off and many chose to be teachers because of this.

Giving teachers a break in price is discrimination!!!!

Post Edited (03-08-04 21:10)