• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Stained glass pics smuggled out of the Winchester Mystery House...

GloBug

Senior Flea Coller Tester
Friends from DC were visiting, and they wanted to see the Winchester Mystery House. Sarah Winchester - The world famous Winchester Mystery House? in San Jose, California, is an extravagant maze of Victorian craftsmanship ? marvelous, baffling, eerily eccentric, and undeniably, haunted. You can't take pics inside the house, but somehow my cell phone managed to sneak out of my pocket at the most oppertune times, like when we were last to leave a room with the most amazing stained glass. :whistle: Sorry some of the pics aren't as clear as others. They were kind of on the run...

This info is from the website:

Art Glass

Though Mrs. Winchester could be very frugal in her approach to building, at times she was extravagant as a person could be. The mansion’s dazzling art glass windows are a good example of her exquisite taste. Many were made to order in Austria and imported by Tiffany’s of New York. They are spectacularly designed, utilizing both concave and convex glass “frames†inset with glittering “jewels.†Mrs. Winchester herself designed the special daisy and spiderweb patterns that are embedded in many of the window. The daisy was her favorite flower, and some believe the spiderweb pattern had a special occult meaning for her.

This is the front door. Only 3 people have ever walked through it... Sara Winchester, and the two craftsman who installed the windows. It was never used again. Teddy Roosevelt wanted to visit Sara Winchester, and when he arrived, he was told to use the servants door. He refused, so Sara Winchester told him he wasn't welcome.

The daisy windows are beautiful. If I remember correctly, they are the windows in the room that Sara Winchester was in when the 1906 quake hit. She was trapped in that room for several hours.

This is a lovely window in a staircase. Love that original wallpaper!

This is the very first room you walk into, and my favorite each time I've gone there. This is the storeroom of a lot of the stuff that was sitting around waiting to be installed when she died. I would spend a hour in this room if I could. The Tiffany windows are magnificent!

More from the storeroom.

This is really a stunning place to spend a few hours. If you ever get the opportunity you should check it out.

GloBug

Forgot this one! They said the lead was starting to wear away, so the stained glass windows had to be releaded in Austria one by one. It would take many many painstaking months to relead each one.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Beautiful, Glo. How fortunate that your phone just happened to emerge!:whistle:

You and Corky, with your talent, should reproduce your versions of the stained glass.

GloBug

I would love to learn stained glass, but the classes are sooo expensive around here. If I see a class at a local school I think I'll enroll!

sage

I just love the Winchester house. Thank you so much for bringing back such wonderful memories. If I remember correctly, she even had a daisy pattern in the sink drains. I also loved the stairs and steps, as I'm not very tall either, and they were so easy for me to navigate. The house is truly a wonder, and I would love to go back.

GloBug

I just love the Winchester house. Thank you so much for bringing back such wonderful memories. If I remember correctly, she even had a daisy pattern in the sink drains. I also loved the stairs and steps, as I'm not very tall either, and they were so easy for me to navigate. The house is truly a wonder, and I would love to go back.
The 2" easy riser steps were fun to go up and down, and I could see how helpful there would be for her arthritis.

maw

Wordsmith
Thank heavens for that sneaky phone. All so lovely Glo thanks for sharing-have watched so many shows abt this house-I love the stained glass I really think it is something Paw would have like to do. I have appreciated, reds, Corky's and Kat's stained glass having severtal pieces around house to remind me.

Corky

Wow!! I can only dream of stained glass such as that. So, so beautiful. Thank you, Glo for sharing the pictures with us. :smile:

And thanks to all for the kind words in regards to the stained glass that I've done. I truly love doing it and hope to be able to continue
for many years to come.

JacquieP

Leon and I have been there a couple times and I love it, especially the 2 inch steps and the stained glass. You could spend many hours there and never see everything! I'm thrilled your telephone was naughty, as I loved the stained glass and have always wanted pictures. We've never made it to Cliff House for lunch, but that will be on the list.