Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Summit Questions...

Discussion in 'Celebrity Cruises' started by Noni, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Noni

Noni Guest

We will be boarding the Celebrity Summit on Nov. 29. We have never cruised with Celebrity before.

Are there any special "areas" not to miss on this ship?

What about the specialty restaurants? Price? Service? Food?

Is there live music pool side each day?

Theme nights?

Thanks a bunch for any tips you can give me.

2. paulfredo

paulfredo Guest

The Summit is a great ship... you'll have a fantastic time. We found the Normandie specialty restaurant to be wonderful, and highly recommend it. You gotta try the Goat Cheese Souflee, it's oh too good. The cover charge is $25 and well worth it...! We thought the service was great... and it's almost like a show. They also cook certain items at your table. It was very elegant, but not "stuffy" IMHO.

This is a beautiful ship, so there's no place you should not try. The only area we weren't impressed with was the cinema... that is because not every row is staggered and it is difficult to see the screen from some seats. We had a good laugh watching people play musical chairs trying to find a good seat, and then someone else would move because someone just sat down in front of them. LOL

There was music by the pool all day, but not always a live band. I only remember one themed deck party... but that may be wrong... and who knows what's planned...?

Bon Voyage on a great ship... and welcome to the elegance of a Celebrity cruise... hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

paulfredo

3. jhagen

jhagen Guest

Paulfredo, Thanks for your tips. Will be aboard 10/18/02 with several others. By the way how and when did you reserve the Normandie? Thanks in advance, jhagen

4. Lisa

Lisa Guest

The Normandie is not to be missed! We dined there one night and it was spectacular - we had so much fun with the wait staff - one of our table was a woman in her 70's who was on her third cruise and had never been to an upscale alternative restraunt on board before and she was in heaven and the wait staff just adored her - and the food was to die for! Try the chocolate souffle, the chauteaubriand and the Caesar Salad (that was prepared tableside).

Some of the places not to be missed are the Martini Bar on deck 5 - we had so much fun sitting there before dinner every night and got great service from the staff there. The Conservatory is a great place to go and browse through - the floral creations there are beautiful. I loved the disco area (and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it) on deck 11 all the way forward, during the day it was a nice quiet place to have a great view of the ocean, etc. and at night it was a great place to go for some music and action. The Aqua Spa area and the Thalassotherapy pool and hot tubs is a really nice area too.

I always made sure to walk through the Cova Cafe at least once a day - while you have to pay for the coffee, etc., the munchies (cookies, bars, pastries, etc) are FREE and excellent to boot!

Another quiet area to go to if you crave some peace and quiet are Notes Words - the music and reading libraries.

There is also an area just aft of the Waterfall grill and cafe that is an outdoor seating area at the back of the ship - I loved sitting out there day or night!

At the Waterfall cafe - make sure you go aft - at breakfast there is a made to order omelette station and another area with pastries, etc. At lunch the omelette station becomes a pasta bar and the area with pastries, etc becomes a themed buffet (ie; German, Italian, America, French, Mexican etc.) At night that area serves pizza from 10:00pm to 1:00am - from 3:00pm to 7:00pm the pizza is served out on deck at the hamburger grill.

I hope this helps a little - if you have any questions, email me - but remove the "no spam" part of the address!

5. Noni

Noni Guest

Thanks so much for all the input. I too wonder, as jhagen does, when and how do you reserve the Normandie?

6. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Once you get on board, go straight down to the Normandie restraunt and make a reservation for the night you wish. If you are a Captain's Club member I think you can make the request on line before the start of the cruise.

7. paulfredo

paulfredo Guest

We made our first reservation right after boarding... but we went back two more times... which yes, is excessive... but it was sooo good.

paulfredo

8. Noni

Noni Guest

Must be worth the $$$$ if you went back 3 times. Thanks for the info...we will book it as soon as we get on board.

9. Noni,

I agree with EVERYTHING Lisa said. She certainly hit all the high spots that we loved. We sailed the Summit in March and this was our 6th cruise. The Summit is now my favorite ship. It was the best cruise we have ever taken.

Please do try the Normandie. I had never tried the specialty restaurants until the Summit, and only then because I had been reading so many good things about the Normandie. It was the most wonderful dining experience I ever had. The waiters are truly poetry in motion as they simultaneously serve and take away your plates. And the food was heavenly. The $25 charge was worth it. We booked as soon as we got on the ship and stowed away our carry ons in the room.

There were two Theme nights by the pool, the tex-mex and the fruit buffet with the watermelon parade. There was also a 50's night in the one lounge and there were a couple theme buffets in the Waterfall cafe at midnight. Some were Italian, Fisherman's, Chinese or Japanese (I can't remember which) and of course the Grand Buffet the night before the last day of the cruise.

You are truly in for a wonderful experience aboard this ship. Have a fantastic time. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, or you can email me too.

Jan

10. Barb

Barb Guest

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments in response to Noni's post. We'll be on the Summit on 1/20. This will be our fifth Celebrity cruise, but it will have been 4 years since our last one (Zenith-Pan. Canal). We've been trying out Princess & HAL in the intervening years and look forward to returning to Celebrity which we liked very much. This time we'll have a balcony so we're really looking forward to that!

Barb

Golden Princess - 11/23/02
    Summit - 1/20/03

11. Stargazerm31

Stargazerm31 Guest

You should be able to see all the ship. There is only one pay restaurant, The Normandie. I vowed never to pay extra. When I went on the Summit on an 11-night cruise, I ended up eating there 3 times. At $25 a pop it is high, but this is true 5-star dinning with service to match. JMHO.