Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Sunday Open House

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by ShipMaven, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mbandy

Mbandy Guest

Not quite Charles. This one will :thumb

2. JacquieP

JacquieP Guest

Well darn, I was going to ask to share the sausage and peppers also. I suppose that means we need to ask for the recipe, if there is one. What kind of sausage, what kind of peppers, and what else is involved????? Inquiring minds want to know.

3. Karry

Karry Guest

Here is a recipe I use.
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
    1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
    2 green bell peppers, sliced (or red if you prefer)
    2 yellow onions, sliced
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (or you can use the dried equivilent)
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 cup Marsala wine (the real stuff, not the cooking wine)
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
    4 to 6 fresh Italian sandwich rolls, optional
    Directions
    Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.

Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Drain any fat left in pan.

Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the Marsala wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes, if using. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer.

Cut the sausages into 4 to 6 pieces each, about 1-inch cubes. Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.

Serve in bowls. Or, if serving as a sandwich, split the rolls in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread from the bottom side of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with sausage mixture. Top and serve sandwiches immediately.
    Enjoy! :cheers

4. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

YUM !!! ...except for the garlic that I can't eat.

5. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Pucci and I are really delighted to see so many friends today, despite the fact that some of our usual participants are on the high seas.

For those who observe, Tuesday is Mardi Gras (and Wednesday is Ash Wednesday). Where better to celebrate Mardi Gras in the United States than New Orleans? And that is where we spent the day today.

The bar remains open for latecomers, and there are plenty of snacks for those who may be hungry.

Please join us for Open House next Saturday... Since I'll be putting the finishing touches on packing (read: last-minute panic) because my luggage is being picked up March 2nd, Open House will then be on temporary hiatus until the beginning of April. As you've seen from my cruise ticker below, I'll be aboard Crystal Symphony most of March.

6. J.E. M.

J.E. M. Guest

Was unable to stop by last night, site close, thanks for keeping the light on tonight.

7. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Hope you enjoyed your beer, Jim.

8. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Guest

Great spot - I might have to check it out next February as I just got a call from my sister saying she is planning a family cruise fom there next year!