Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

The First Lady

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by nieciez, Jan 21, 2009.

1. nieciez

nieciez Guest

OK girls, (guys too if you want to chime in). What did you think of our new First Lady's wardrobe choices yesterday? I LOVED the day outfit, those green gloves looked so soft and went nice with the gold dress and duster. I HATED the white ball gown choice with cotton balls all over it. I didn't think it was very flattering. So, what do you think.

I did think the first dance to Beyoncé singing the Etta James song "At Last" was very moving.

2. Corky

Corky Guest

I also loved her day dress, and the matching gloves and shoes....very elegant.

Her evening dress I also loved, but it was too heavy and she spent all night grabbing it and swinging it around to the back. I hated that for her as it must have been horribly frustrating.

Dr. Bidens evening dress was stunning and I want to be her when I grow up. :D

One of my girlfriends think that Michelle's day dress made her look too big, I didn't think so...nor do I think her evening dress did, but, Michelle is a big girl, very tall, and as big or bigger as her husband is. Plus, I am sure the Campaign trail makes it hard to stick to healthy eating. Maybe she'll be able to walk it off and get back into her normal exercise routine once she is settled into the White House.

3. JANPEP

JANPEP Guest

I liked both I thought she looked just beautiful. I also thought that 1st dance was very moving. I was glued to the TV all day.

4. nieciez

nieciez Guest

The white gown would have looked much better if it didn't have all those puffy balls all over it IMO and your right, it did look like she had trouble with it all evening. It was a better choice then that black and red thing she wore to the Graham Park victory rally, =eek what was with that, I though it was down right ugly, but hey, what do I know about Haute Couture . Michell is a tall women but I don't consider her "big", she is "statuette" ;)

I haven't seen any footage of Dr Biden yet....she is a remarkable women and very attractive.

5. Corky

Corky Guest

I agree that the black/red dress was not a choice I would have made...but I too don't know much about Haute Couture. :lol

6. maw

maw Guest

I like the day dress also but wondered how she did not freeze. Yes those gloves were great makes me miss the good leather gloves I used to have. I only woke up to see the ball gown so missed some of details. Just know that rrail was giving her trouble dancing-- I did not like that black and red dress before.

7. kpopperwell

kpopperwell Guest

I heard that the day dress as well as Pres Obama's jacket were bullet proof.

8. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Guest

I loved the white evening grown! I like the one shoulder. She did have a hard time dancing in it though! I thought the gloves didn't really match the day dress - - see we all view things differently! lol

Looking forward to seeing how she dresses in the future.

9. Corky

Corky Guest

Donna - it is funny how we all see things differently. :)

10. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Maw, the day dress was made of swiss Wool lace, and were lined in French silk and had netting added for even more warmth.

The evening dress.. I did not see the cotton wool balls, but my eyes are not as good as they should be :lol
    My first thought when I saw that dress was.. "What IDIOT allowed her to wear a dress with a train"?

she might not think about it in the excitement and stress of the day.. But there were plenty around her who have the experience at these kinds of events that should have told her that trains are only good if you will not be changing direction :lol

I think the balls were flower appliques by the way "grin

And as for gaining weight on those events.. nope. You are offered the same snack type food, or small portions of meals at every stop.. it is sooooo easy to pass up. You long to go home and order up a real meal :lol

11. red stripe

red stripe Guest

oh.. the day time gloves were from the internet.. J Crew.
    but the shoes were Jimmy Choo :lol

12. nieciez

nieciez Guest

:lol Yep, I know they were suppose to be flowers with crystles but they still looked like cotton balls from a distance :lol I did like the fact that she gave young designers a chance to make their mark ;)

13. Beryl

Beryl Guest

I see things differently...I didn't much care for the outfit she wore for the inauguration! I thought it over the top...bold colour, textured fabric, and all that jewel stuff around the neck of the dress...way too much. She would have been better off to choose two out of the three. The outfit was beautifully made though...loved the lining of that coat! I liked her evening gown!

Dr. Biden's day dress was too short...I don't like the look of knees and since her dress didn't come down to the top of her boots that was all I noticed. Her evening gown was beautiful and she looked stunning!

For me the fashion winner of the day was the 10year old daughter whose blue coat was fabulous! She also looked like she was enjoying every minute of her time at the "event". Both children were adorable.

What did you think of Aretha Franklin's over the top hat??? Now that took confidence and courage and after the first gasp I thought it really suited her!

14. red stripe

red stripe Guest

I will never look at her dress in the same way again :lol

but I think the all time stinker of a gown was the wedding gown of Princess Diane.. That made me feel embarrassed to be a Brit :lol

15. Calgon1

Calgon1 Guest

Agree with most of the postings.

The Black and Red dress was a monstrosity! It make her look like either a bloated toad or six months preggers!

Her coronation inaugural outfit was very nice. Refined and elegant, but tasteful.

The evening gown was absolutely atrocious!

On another subject ... I realize he was hired for what we all hope are political skills ... but (and I'll say it), the President desperately needs dance lessons! Noting on the order of "Dancing With The Stars", but some basic ballroom would come in helpful. Not as prevalent in our society, but most foreign cultures still regard the ability to dance socially as a mark of refinement. Those who just stand there and sway, picking up one foot in a manner to a quarterback in a noisy stadium are not taken seriously. And being taken seriously is something we are going to need ...

16. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Calgon..about his dancing..... I think that he was afraid to move his feet because of her dress. I saw his shoes standing on the dress a few times.

OK.. now I have trashed Princess Di's wedding gown etc.

let me toss out a thought here.

How many of us could stand up to the scrutiny of our wardrobe day after day?

As I sit here in a navy blue sweat outfit that does nothing for my colouring.. makes me look shorter and dumpier that I already am.. the dry weather has made my hair stand up no matter what I do..

yesterday I wore a beautiful coat but put it over a long skirt. It would have looked so much better if I wore it with my wool slacks that are the colour of the coats lining.. and wore my knee high leather boots instead of my red rubber "wellies".. "wellington boots" :lol

Also everyone keep in mind that something that looks great while standing in front of a mirror at home, can come off terrible under lighting that will fry an egg, and a camera that everyone knows.. adds at least 10 pounds to how we look.

that girl that Honey had her photo taken with on our cruise.. Samantha Brown.. in real life the woman is a toothpick.. but the camera makes her look just very slim and petite... thanks to those 10 pounds :lol

So who wants to be first and look back at some of your photos and post the one that after you saw it.. you said.. "what was I thinking of?" :grin

17. nieciez

nieciez Guest

LOL I have too many fashion faux pas to post Red as I am no fashion plate AND I wish I could blame weight of the camera =eek but alias, that isn't the case :lol I am sitting here in my gray sweats with my hair all over the place even though I did comb it this morning :lol

I too couldn't believe Princess Di's wedding dress.....YIKES!

18. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Sometimes I think that photos are a curse.. as we think ourselves so cool, but a few years later we look back and blush :lol

Oh yes.. too many fashion decisions gone wrong here for me to dare to be the first one :lol

actually I have very few photos of me, so I am blessed :grin

19. nieciez

nieciez Guest

One of my big mistakes was on our first 7 day cruise back in 1995. That spring "sunflowers" were all the rage on dresses and stuff. I hunted high and low for a sundress with sunflowers in my size (queen size) and it took me forever to find one. Found sunflower espadrilles (aka wedgie shoes:lol ) and a straw hat.....I wore this on boarding day and thought I looked so good....until I saw the pictures =eek No digital photos to share LOL.

20. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Denise..

I lost just about ever photo of me a few years ago.. so thankfully I can not find any really bad.. Well, the one taken in the snow was a bit bad :lol

but here is a funny one that you can see by my expression that I KNOW this is going to look stupid :lol and I was right.. sis just looks resigned....

[​IMG]