Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Thinking of Alaska...

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by ShipMaven, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

That 14-Day Alaskan Adventurer was FANTASTIC! Even though we had to suffer through nearly three weeks of the GloBug, we'd jump on another. Maybe with 3 days in Bagdad by the Bay, Amtrak up to the Emerald City and three days in OZ pre-cruise.

I suppose that if she's gotten over her flea, rat, termite and ant infestations; the Bug could come alonng ...

Oh and Tobyn? They are spiders. Just really big and really tasty ones.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

Tobyn - truth be known, I like crab leg meat OUT of the shell, but I prefer that someone else do the work to extract that meat.

Calgon - we'll take care of the "flea carrier"....

3. GloBug

GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

Yeah, that 14 dayer was perfect! Some old familiar places, and some amazing new sights. Kodiak Island still has some ways to go as a place that knows how to handle tourists, but the scenery was breathtaking! Homer has a lot to offer, next time I would go to Homer proper, having seen the spit. And of course HAL, the Amsterdam and Capt. Stud Muffin!

4. maw

maw Wordsmith

I would gladly eat a guy like that. Thanks Mary ann ofr picture.

5. Funnel

Funnel Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor

Mary Ann, now you made me hungry!

Have never tried King Crab but would love to do.
    The Halibut looked excellent too. Can you save one for me till tomorrow? :whistle:

/Erik

6. ShipMaven

[​IMG]

Here's another large specimen - should make a tasty meal. (Ladies, keep your eyes on the crustacean, not the fellow holding it!! :biggrin: )

7. GloBug

GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

That crab and a pound of melted butter outta do it!

8. connie seabee

connie seabee Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

Yikes! that monster is huge.

9. ShipMaven

Well - let's see...send one to Maw, send one to Erik along with Halibut, send one to Glo. We'll contribute nicely to the Alaskan economy.

10. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Who cares about that fellow...bring on the crabs!! :biggrin:

11. ShipMaven

Guess that means you want a crab, too? :biggrin::biggrin:

12. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I am one of the lucky people in the world who love crab legs. And, although I've had Alaskan crab legs...I swear, they were not that big. One leg would feed two people. LOL

13. ShipMaven

Corky - if you and Den ever do an Alaska cruise, an absolute MUST is Tracy's King Crab Shack in Juneau.

Home

On my Volendam cruise last June, this was the ONLY time I disembarked the entire week...and the Shack was about 100 feet from the gangway. Snowblower told me about this place...and it definitely is on my must-do list for any future Alaska cruises.

14. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

Yummo. Love King Crab ... and Snow Crab and Blue Crab and Soft-Shell Crab and ...

(But, would be willing to forgo a crab in trade for a dance w/Queen Quack ...)

15. JacquieP

JacquieP Well-Known Member

Dance???? Calgon can dance????? Oh, yes, that halibut will do very nicely!! Thank heavens our chef friend here in town does a fantastic halibut filet over julienned vegetables with champagne cream sauce. Just enough cream sauce to add a tiny hint of phenomenal flavor. He's the one who wasn't happy with the salmon he was getting, so he went to Alaska one summer, signed onto a fishing boat, got to know a crew, let them know exactly what he wanted, and now gets his salmon and halibut within 48-72 hours after they're caught.

16. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Shipmaven - we've done one Alaskan cruise, and I remember this place. We didn't go there because we went to Mendenhall Glacier and then we did Capt. Larry's whale watching tour. The next time I'm in Juneau though, we will be going to Tracy's. Thnx for the reminder!! :doubleup:

17. red stripe

red stripe Well-Known Member

When my mother was alive, she used to love to eat these.
    Once she out found that the local Winn Dixie carried them for a per pound cost of well over $20 back then.. (although I can not recall exactly.). She insisted we drive down there every day until they ran out.. and buy a very big amount! We loved it when we found some with huge claws still attached.

We would come home and I would prepare them .
    She and I would eat the lot! nothing else was needed with them, they were superb!

I have been searching for different things to do on the Cruise addicts group cruise to Alaska in 2012.
    Tracy's King Crab Shack has just made the top of the list. :doubleup: I have no doubt that Mum will be looking on and wishing she could join me.

Thank you for a great tip.

18. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

Now that is a crab, I could eat the whole thing:doubleup:

19. red stripe

red stripe Well-Known Member

I would love to see you do it:biggrin:

20. ShipMaven