Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Tropical Depression Five

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by Granduer Sailer, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Soon to be Tropical Storm Elieen. This is one that we have to keep an eye on. From the NWS it looks like it will be headed toward the bahamas but it might be too early to tell.

2. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

3. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

4. viet630

viet630 Guest

It is now tropical storm Emily and gaining strenght.. The last I saw it was up to 50 mph alredy.Lets hope it goes somewhere else for a change. We don't need anymore for a while. Viet

5. viet630

viet630 Guest

It now look's like it will miss Florida altogether. The Yucatan is in the bull eye now.I don't wish them any bad luck but Florida sure need's a break. Viet

6. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

This is only July 13 and there are what? 5 names storms so far. This is really active season so far. Florida certainly needs a break. They got flattened 4 times last year. Ivan the terrible should never be repeated.

7. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

Just a minor tidbit I found out....My sister is currently on the Grandeur, which was scheduled for Key West on July 12th but that stop was canceled. The Port was still closed even though the town was practically back to normal. The reason was the Coast Guard had to replace navigational buoys and clear the area for debris before allowing ships to dock. The Port reopened today. So even when the Key West Chamber of Commerce announced they were open for business, sometimes the ships are a little behind until the Coast Guard gives the all-clear. I wanted to pass this along since it is such an active season this year.

Funny, I had RCI on the phone about another reservation when I asked the rep where Grandeur was. He replied "Key West". I told him that it was not there since I was looking at the Mallory Square live web cam. He insisted the ship was there and proceeded to read the July 9th notice from the internet. (He told me he was reading it from the internet!) LOL. I told him that it was not a big deal but I was just curious. He acted like I was a nut and said it was definitely in Key West. I told him about the issues above and he sighed. LOL. Yes, Cruise-Addicts, he sighed! I checked the website again today and sure enough, there is the Key West stop cancellation listed for Grandeur. (About 3 hours after it would have departed. LOL) So, the moral of the story is, it is okay for RCI Reps to read from the internet but we are not allowed to look at live web cams. LOL. I wonder if that is how RCI eventually found out Grandeur was not in KW...via the Mallory Square Cam! LOL.

Thank you for listening. :)

8. The TS looks like it is on course for MEXICO and not affecting the US any time soon. Bad news for me headed to cozumel in 8 days

9. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

I am crossing my fingers for you. If Cozumel is cancelled, unfortunately, Grandeur may not be allowed an overnight in KW as a contingency, although I have seen ships at pier B past sunset before. KW can be very strict about the ships. The only other ship scheduled that day is the Fascination, which will be at Outer Mole. So, you never know. If you got an overnight in Key West, that could be fun! Sloppy Joes! Hogs Breath! You could traipse up Duvall street and take in a drag show! LOL. But then again, I could be a babbling fool. LOL. Good luck. :)

10. viet630

viet630 Guest

Th e good news for Fla. is,it doesn't look like Emily will make it. But # 6 is not far behind.This is going to be a record breaking year for named storm's.I t sure is going to be interesting to say the least. Viet

11. UPDATE

EMILY IS NOW A CAT. 1 HURRICANE WITH MAX. SUSTAINED WINDS AT 90 MPH MOVING WNW AT 18 MPH.

12. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

I mean, don't get me wrong here, but it does make me think why Florida has the most expensive homes in the US. I love to visit Florida in october, november. Beautiful place and all, lots and lots of things to see and do, But to live there? A 10 million dollar home can be flattened in minutes.

13. viet630

viet630 Guest

EMILY IS NOW A CAT.4. She is not going to hit Florida and that is a good thing. number 6 and now #7 are right behind her.I will have to agree that living in Florida in the Summer is a pain in the _ _ _. I have lived here since 1972 when I came home from the Army and I have never seen it like this. It may be time to go back in the Army or just move somewhere else. I know maybe i'll try the Navy.So long. Viet

14. There is no record of any tropical depressions behind Emily. I will search through some records and see if there is any being watched and i will also make a few phone calls to see if i am wrong.

15. I just looked and there is no Depressions as of today reported into the NHC.

16. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

After reading those teletypes in ALL CAPS, it is hard to figure out what's going on. Give me the forecast cone map anyday. I did not see 6 or 7 yet but perhaps a meterologist not with the hurricane center is making the prediction. Or then again, I could be a babbling fool. Either way, it does not sound good for this summer.

17. this is not good i do not like all of this activity especially since i go on Adventure on Aug 7 if itineraries are change mid trip do u get anything

18. Ali

Ali Guest

If you miss ports due to the weather, you can ask the purser's desk about a refund of the port taxes but as far as a refund of cruise fare..nope you won't get anything. It's in the cruise contract that you have to sign that the ship can change course and there isn't anything you can do.

19. ok i get it but you will still get nothing if the amount of days are changed because a storm kept it out

20. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

Here is an AP story on evacuations in Cancun and Cozumel.

July 17, 2005
    Tourists Evacuated as Hurricane Emily Nears Mexican Coast
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Filed at 9:45 a.m. ET

CANCUN, Mexico (AP) -- A massive evacuation of tourists in one of the world's largest resorts began Sunday, with hundreds of buses dispatched to move tens of thousands of vacationers away from Hurricane Emily, heading for a direct hit on Mexico's coast.

The size of the task was daunting: About 500 buses were ordered to move 30,000 tourists in Cancun -- part of a total of 70,000-80,000 mostly foreign visitors to be evacuated statewide to temporary shelters in ballrooms and convention centers.

''We have very little hope that this will change course,'' said a grim-faced Cancun Mayor Francisco Alor. ''This hurricane is coming with the same force as Gilbert,'' a legendary hurricane that killed 300 people in Mexico and the Caribbean in 1988.

That was the last time Cancun faced a mass evacuation. But back then, the city and surrounding resort areas were fairly new and had only about 8,000 hotel rooms; that number has since grown to more than 50,000.

By 8 a.m. EDT Sunday, Emily was located about 305 miles east-southeast of Cozumel, and was moving toward the island at about 20 mph, with sustained winds of nearly 150 mph. The eye of the storm was expected to make landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula late Sunday or early Monday morning, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

Along the narrow spit of land that holds most of Cancun's palatial hotels, workers scrambled to board up businesses and remove traffic lights along the eight-mile main strip, to keep them from becoming wind-borne projectiles when the hurricane hit.

''This hurricane isn't going to take Cancun away from us,'' Alor vowed.

Some three dozen of the city's largest, strongest hotels were putting rows of beds in windowless meeting halls and ballrooms to shelter those evacuated from smaller hotels and exposed beach-side rooms.

On the island of Cozumel, just south of Cancun, tourists were moved away from beachside hotels to ones closer to the center of the island, which may lie almost directly in the path of the Category 4 storm.

An estimated 18,000 travelers streamed out of the Cancun airport Saturday in advance of the storm, and the terminal may close Sunday as the hurricane draws closer. Some flights to Cancun already have been canceled.

Improvised shelters were prepared at about 170 schools and community centers to hold local residents who may be forced to flee their homes. Authorities said they had enough food ready to feed 60,000-70,000 people.

Mexico also launched a large-scale evacuation of offshore oil platforms, ordering 15,000 workers off rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and leaving less than 1,000 attendants behind. The state-owned Pemex oil company said the move included closing 63 wells and halting the production of 480,000 barrels of oil per day.

Emily is expected to cross over the Yucatan peninsula and re-emerge in the gulf Monday. The hurricane is then expected to cross the gulf and hit Mexico again -- this time near the U.S. border -- later in the week.

On its passage through the Caribbean, Emily's winds ravaged hundreds of homes on the island of Grenada, destroyed crops and killed at least one man whose home was buried under a landslide.

As the storm passed near Jamaica Saturday night, howling wind gusts kicked up waves 8 feet tall and bent palm trees in Kingston, the capital. Torrential rains drenched parts of Jamaica's south coast and spread over the Cayman Islands.

Downed utility poles and piles of storm debris blocked the seaside highway to Kingston's international airport early Sunday. There were no reports of injuries.

''Mercifully, Jamaica was spared the worst,'' Land and Environment Minister Dean Peart said.

Hurricane center meteorologist Dave Roberts said Emily was the strongest storm to form this early in the Atlantic season since record-keeping began in 1860.

Authorities already evacuated some tourists from the mainland resorts of Tulum and Playa de Carmen, also south of Cancun, in some cases sending them as far away as Valladolid, a Yucatan city 100 miles inland.

About 1,800 people were evacuated from the islands of Contoy and Holbox, just off the coast.

Farther south, the government of Belize issued a tropical storm watch for the coast from Belize City northward to the Mexico border. In the capital, boats were being tied down or taken up river.

About 70 percent of the tourists being relocated in Mexico are foreigners; the evacuees will be given free food and lodging at shelters in convention centers or ballrooms, said Jesus Almaguer, president of the Cancun Hotel Association.

''It would be inhuman to charge them,'' he said.