Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

update on dr visit

Discussion in 'The Safe Harbor' started by KathyC, Jan 16, 2012.

  1. KathyC

    KathyC Well-Known Member

    Saw Mike's new gastro dr this morning. When he came in he said, "what brings you in here today". I said, you tell us your office called & set this up. I reminded him of the Oct colonoscopy where he sent on us on our way with a prescrip for the same meds & to come back in a yr then we get a call at Xmas that it was important we come back in right away.

    He studied the chart & then said that since we were new to him in Oct (same medical group but old dr retired) & he saw the severity of the Crohn's (old dr said he had never seen a case as severe as this) he thought we should have a longer sit down face to face meeting than we had in Oct. What it comes down to is Mike's Crohn's is somewhat active but not much different from past exams. But he thinks that with a change in treatment that he could improve upon this. I informed him that the only time in the past 37yrs that Mike's Crohn's ever showed significant improvement was when he was on Remicade infusions. Then he asked why we quit the infusions. CANCER!! Oh, he said well that is a problem.

    He said Mike is currently receiving the mildest form of treatment there is for Crohn's but if we were to accept additional treatment it would increase his risk of cancer returning. He believes that the Crohn's has progressed much further thru the intestinal tract than a colonoscopy can show. He offered 2 types of tests 1 of which is invasive & goes thru the throat all the way thru the intestinal tract & the 2nd, less invasive test, involves swallowing a camera & watching it go thru the intestinal tract. The problem with the camera is that if there is scar tissue, the camera can get lodged & if so it would require surgery. Well, I'm sure there will be scar tissue from his previous surgeries. It is also possible that even if he has these tests & they show the disease is much further up in the intestinal tract that the only treatment would be meds that will most likely affect the cancer so we would have to make a choice of treating the Crohn's or facing the risk of cancer again.

    He said we can just continue on as we have all these yrs & if the disease is further up in the intestinal tract that we could deal with problems as they arise in the future & problems will probably arise at some point & it will be difficult to treat because of the cancer. He said he felt that as our new dr, it was important for him to discuss all of this with us.

    At this time we are waiting to make any decisions until after we talk to our oncologist in Iowa City. We have an appoint with her next wk. Anyway you slice it, he has 2 very serious life threatening conditions but at this point I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. Mike isn't having any pain with his Crohn's, no weight loss, no change in appetite, & his Oct colonoscopy is relatively unchaged from a yr ago so I think we should just take a wait & see what develops attitude. We return to the gastro dr next month to discuss our decision. I hate it when we have to make decisions like this.
     
  2. nieciez

    nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

    That is a tough choice to make and I will keep you both in my prayers as you both make these difficult decision....
     
  3. connie seabee

    connie seabee Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

    Prayers that the Lord will help you make the right decision.
     
  4. ShipMaven

    ShipMaven Forever Remembered

    May God enlighten you and your doctors to make the right decisions. In the meantime, hugs and best wishes to you and Mike.
     
  5. Donna - dsw

    Donna - dsw Well-Known Member

    It is tough - especially when you expect the experts (drs.) to help you with the correct choice. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers! Make the best of everyday you have - none of us know what the next second will hold!
     
  6. popcorn

    popcorn Well-Known Member

    Hugs & good thoughts to both of you as you tackle yet another problem with these 2 diseases. If it is not too troublesome at the moment I would be inclined to leave sleeping dogs at rest! At least the new dr. is discussing options with you.

    Liz
     
  7. Krazy Kruizers

    Krazy Kruizers Holland America Specialist

    Prayers for you both. Rough decision you have to make.
     
  8. Jeanie

    Jeanie Well-Known Member

    You and Mike will be in our thoughts
     
  9. GloBug

    GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

    Prayers winging their way. Decisions like this are so very difficult to make, but it does sound like you made the correct one for now.
     
  10. H2O babe

    H2O babe Well-Known Member

    Kathy - I read Maw's ramble almost every evening and I always check to see if your post included anything on Mike's health condition. You, Mike and your family remain on my prayer list and I know you are thankful for each day that Mike isn't experiencing bad symptoms. Know that many of us keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    Kay
     

Share This Page