Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Volendam

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by LUV2Cruz2, Jun 14, 2004.

1. LUV2Cruz2

LUV2Cruz2 Guest

Mary Ann and Bruce!!! I just got finished reading the journals! FANTASTIC!! What a wonderful bunch of people to cruise with!!! You all had soooo much fun! I only wish I could be a part of your sailing group!

The photos were fantastic, the narrative marvelous! There aren't enough adjectives to describe Mary Ann's review and Bruce's journals!

Thank you both so much! You ALL looked great in the pictures, I love the ducky deal....I think it was remarkable!

Mary Ann, you are a wonderful hostess...I'd be a cruisemate with you ANY day!

Thanks alot!

2. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Thank you. In 54 years of sailing, it was indeed my most memorable cruise - made so by my wonderful cruising companions, our friends on the ship and my contacts (as a TA) at HAL. Everything blended perfectly.

I've read many excellent cruise reviews, but I think Bruce's masterpiece was the best I've ever seen - and I would say that if he had been narrating another cruise, not ours.

Yes, we had lots and lots of fun, without being offensive to anyone else on the ship. And we're looking forward to a repeat in January.

3. Santa Fe Jim

Santa Fe Jim Guest

SM: "Thank you. In 54 years of sailing, it was indeed my most memorable cruise - made so by my wonderful cruising companions, our friends on the ship and my contacts (as a TA) at HAL. Everything blended perfectly."

You were so fortunate to have begun cruising as an infant. There certainly are memorable moments that we all (I hope) savor as the years pass that are the epitome of what we participate in a certain activity for. Beyond the major events of our lives -- weddings, births, graduations -- are the moments that are notable for the conjunction of people and places. I'm certain everyone reading of this cruise envies this group.

SM: "I've read many excellent cruise reviews, but I think Bruce's masterpiece was the best I've ever seen - and I would say that if he had been narrating another cruise, not ours."

Veritably the conclusion of Homer's trilogy of the Iliad and Odyssey and now the Rubber Ducky. My first cruise journal attempted to approach this level. The second ended after five days. Now I can put my journal on a post-it note. Reading Bruce's journal has reminded me of what pleasure there exists in simply writing to express and to commit to memory events such as this.

SM: "Yes, we had lots and lots of fun, without being offensive to anyone else on the ship. And we're looking forward to a repeat in January."

So often some peoples' concept of "fun" impinges on others -- this cruise group had a terrific time and was probably the envy of (almost) everyone else on the ship. I'm certain I would have been very amused at the goings-on -- like the door signs.

Thanks for sharing this.

SFJ

4. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Jim,

Thank you for your very kind comments.

I was blessed with a Father who did not like to travel alone, and so, my Mother and I got to see and experience many wonderful things long before travel became so much easier. Many, many friends and associates have been after me to write a book about my experiences, and I've never had the time to do so.

Like you, I used to write detailed reviews of my cruises...and now, I'm lucky to write a few words. I STILL have to finish downloading all the photos from this cruise!

As for the doors to our accommodations, I must admit that the starboard side of Deck 7 became an "art gallery" of sorts with ever-changing exhibits, to the amusement of many. And simple rubber duckies became sought-after treasures by some - mementos of the duck cruise. ;) We had more people coming up to us asking about those little critters! :lol

Post Edited (06-19-04 13:38)

5. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

LUV2CRUZ - sorry I overlooked one of your questions.

My seafaring ancestors were Italian - my late Grandfather's studies were done at a maritime college in Messina, although he didn't follow a career at sea. His older brother, however, was a ship's Captain in the early 1900's - I know of the passenger ship San Giorgio, but I don't know the extent of others. Some others in the family were in the Italian Navy and Merchant Marine (1800's, early 1900's).

No one in Maine, and I'm the last of the line, with no relatives on the paternal side.

6. Southbound

Southbound Guest

I spotted this thread when it was first posted and have enjoyed the subsequent posts very much. Noticed from reading this board and others, cc in particular, how generous ShipMaven is with assistance, pertinent information and sharing personal cruise experiences.

We've had the pleasure of sailing on the Volendam (10 days) and loved her! The crew was a delight, the ship spotless; we especially enjoyed the more intimate atmosphere on the Volendam which was conducive to more interaction with the crew than we found on the "Z" and "O". Although the latter two are very nice, we found we prefer the smaller HAL ships and have booked the 14-day 12/22/04 holiday sailing of the Rotterdam which we are very much looking forward to.

Luv2Cruz2 - your mention of WalMart prompted me to send you an email several days ago.

7. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Thank you so much for your kind words, Southbound.

Yes, Volendam IS a special ship. I've also enjoyed Rotterdam and hope you'll have a wonderful Holiday cruise on her!