Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Weather Question?

Discussion in 'Alaska & Pacific Northwest Ports' started by cruizinrican, Jun 18, 2005.

1. cruizinrican

cruizinrican Guest

When is it the warmest in Alaska? I want to take my kids 8 and 12 on a cruise to Alaska but don't want to go when it is freezing out so that we might be able to enjoy the wild life outdoors. And anything that you think that we might like to see or do that would interest them would be great too! Any certain cruiseline I should be looking at?

2. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

Well, the weather question is simple. The warmest time is late June, all of July and early August. All of which just happens to be prime time in Alaska. That said, Alaskan weather is unpredictable. When I went (July 1999) the weather was great for two weeks. However, it does rain there, so you might not be so lucky.

That said, the best lines for an 8 & 12 year old is Carnival and Royal Caribbean. If you really want to impress them, book the Garden Villa on the NCL Star. It is about 3000 sq. ft, has three bedrooms, sleeps 6-8 (I'll be more than happy to join you if you need a warm body to fill up some of the space) and it has about a 2,500 sq. foot balcony. There is one down side however - it cost $25,000 per week.

At any rate, if you can afford it, a balcony cabin in Alaska is great (no matter what cruise line you are on).

As to things they would be interested in, I would say that Alaska is very interesting. You will see eagles (even in port) and some tours guarantee that you will see wildlife. Also, even in summer, there is probably more snow in Alaska than Florida. Unfortunately the most interesting excursions can be a bit on the expensive side. My suggestion is, check them out one line (I know you can do this for Carnival, Royal Caribbean & NCL) and decide which ones are interesting. Then when you are ready to book check the prices and purchase the ones you can afford.

What can you do? There is an interesting train ride in Skagway, dog sled rides (Skagway or Juneau - I don't remember which) wildlife tours (all ports) pre or post cruise tours (if you have the time - and money) glaciers (again, more than you would find in Florida). There is also whale watching. However, you might not need a tour for this. We saw whales from our ship (did I mention that a balcony is a good idea?).

On top of all of this, you have to decide if you want to go one way (Vancouver to Anchorage or Anchorage to Vancouver) or round trip (Vancouver). I was on a two week cruise, so I had the advantages of both.

Alaska has a lot to offer, but it is much different than the Caribbean. There are no great beaches in Alaska (the water is too cold). However, you are in sight of land almost all the time (the reason a balcony is such a great idea). Alaska is for those who want to see nature or wildlife.

3. cruizinrican

cruizinrican Guest

Cruizer-

First off, Thank you for offering to come with me and keep me warm, but I don't think that my boyfriend would like that to much. Sorry.

Thank you for all your great information, I love RCCL so I will definately be looking at them for an Alaska cruise in the summer. And I will be using my Platnium status so I get a discount for a balcony or suite. The kids will have a blast and my daughter will finally get to see a real live snow dog!