Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

What CAN go wrong on my cruise?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by GloBug, May 21, 2004.

1. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Everyone says how wonderful they are, and I know it will be awesome, but what can go wrong, and what should I prepare for?

Taking room deodorizers, duct tape, bungie cords, have easily identifiable luggage straps, etc.

What can I do to make sure my luggage gets to ME in the afternoon of boarding?

2. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Dont worry about your luggage, it will get tags with your name and cabin number on them when the porters take them from you (OH, be sure to tip them if you wanna see those bags again :lol). But its not like the airports where they lose luggage because it doesnt make it on the correct plane. I think (knowing you the little bit that I do) that you are plenty prepared, maybe OVER prepared *wink*. Dont worry about anything else... only thing that can go wrong are flight delays, illness... things like that which are out of your control.

STOP WORRYING! Everything will be just fine.....

3. tjmyman

tjmyman Guest

Tip $1 per bag??

=peace

4. Camelia

Camelia Guest

For extra safety put on 2 tags on the luggage with your cabin number; in case one comes off (then they would have no idea whose it is). I do remember on the Glory in March they kept announcing that a large black suitcase is missing, if anybody has gotten it accidently.

5. Ali

Ali Guest

You won't sink! They tried to sink that ship once already and it stayed afloat. So you shouldn't have to worry about that!

6. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Ha... Ali :lol

7. ljeanbrown

ljeanbrown Guest

Anything and everything :lol now don't worry and relax :grin you are going on a cruise and are about to have the time of your life, what can be better than that.
    =bigwave =bigwave

8. cfurry

cfurry Guest

I think the only thing that can go wrong, G-Lo, is that you'll worry too much.

Honestly, so long as you bring your identification, a credit card, and any medication you absolutely need, the rest will work itself out. No one will rip off your bags. And apparently your room will smell great (deodorizer) and will be absolutely free of creaks and squeaks (duct tape).

You're all set. Now you just have to hang on until July 12

But I know it's fun to fixate on the details. Today we took our daughter and her friend to lunch to discuss the graduation cruise we're all taking next week on Mariner. We gave them each a beach bag with a bunch of cruisin' stuff (underwater camera, sunblock, a special Cruise Mix CD, tropical toiletries, even Bonine) and laid down the rules (nightly curfew, beer and wine limits, etc.). We had a lot of fun pulling the stuff together, and the girls were very excited to talk about what they'll be doing.

Truly, though, you are as set as a first-time cruiser ever has been. Your daughter will bring her guitar, and if you get bored (which you won't), you'll have the necessary equipment to bungee off your balcony.

Time to relax and enjoy the anticipation, which to us is half the fun!

9. StudMuffin

StudMuffin Guest

Hi Glo,

Your cruise will be great, it's all in your mindset that will determine how good of a time you will have. If you go with cruise brochure expectations, your bound to be a little disappointed. No cruise ever goes without hitches. Don't sweat the little things and you will have a great time.

10. Ashley

Ashley Guest

Well, actually,

I went on a christmas cruise on Voyager of the Seas and kids destroyed it, there was no hope for the crew on board to keep up with the number of annoying and destructive kids. I just hope your cruise isn't packed with kids, because they can ruin some things for you, such as dinner, pool time, especially in the adult pool, they don't obey the rules. All in all you wont have a problem, have a great time, just watch out for the kids!!

11. sailingrose

sailingrose Guest

Gloria I thought we told you to relax and stop worrying.........

You won't be cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, doing dishes, etc. Get the picture. After all those things a cruise is just what you need. Once aboard your biggest worry will be where to go for the first drink (to toast all us landlocked addicts) and what you should have for lunch.

12. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

Hi GloBug. You sound like me. The only way I can relax is if I am prepared for anything and everything. Or, at least almost everything. so with that in mind, , here's a few things you can prepare for:

*The airline might change your flight times without telling you, so double check them a a few days before you leave, then again the night before your leave, and agin when you wake that day.

*You luggage may get lost, so put your name, address and fight info and itinerary INSIDE the suit case as well as on the tags.

* A burgler may be standing next to you at the airport so don't let those outside tags be easily read, make sure they need to be opened to read anything more than your name.

*One of your suitcases really might take it's own excursion to Seatle, so pack some of your stuff in hubby's bag, and some of his, in yours.

*Pack full outfits, in each bag so you don't end up with all shorts and no bras.

*Your luggage might be late to arrive in your cabin, so pack one change of clothes and your swimsuits in your carry on..

*You might get sunburn, so pack and use lots of sunscreen.

*You might lose your money, so take traveler's checks.

*You might get seasick, so pack Dramamine, Bonine, sea bands or candied ginger.

*You might get sick or hurt, so pack a first aid kid

*You might miss your home bound flight, so be sure to book your flight late enough on debarkation day.

*You might get seriously ill (before or during the cruise) or even suffer a loss in the family, so buy the insurance.

And if that's not enough to worry about, I have a couple hundred more on my list. (I'm not exaggerating).

And if you didn't need a cruise before worrying about all this stuff , you're going to really need that cruise after.

13. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Gayle, you read my mind, or at least my to-do list! I have all that covered. Really. Well, I forgot the Bonine, but I am sure I have some in the med cabinet! Ok, I have everything under my control covered. I'm worried about the stuff on board I have no control over!

And I really am looking forward to the first drink to toast all you land locked addicts!

14. Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle Guest

'I'm worried about the stuff on board I have no control over!'--GloBug

This is a complete waste of time and energy. Let go and enjoy your cruise!

15. GloBug

GloBug Guest

yeah... I know...Since I really do believe that you all know more about all this then the average bear, I will no longer worry about it... (Ali, you love to tease me!)

16. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Just remember... if something doesnt go the way you planned (onbaord)... just smile, and dont let it ruin your mood or your day. I hate to see people who get their shorts all in a knot and are grumpy for the rest of the day over something that really isnt all that critical... such a waste. I dont think you are that type of person, but you will see some of them, Im sure. Too bad for them... you have a good time!

17. wblynch

wblynch Guest

I guarantee your cruise will end too soon.

18. Trish1c

Trish1c Guest

Glo --

I do not mean to add to your anxiety. If Gayle V didn't do that, nothing will -- Gayle, please read the gently teasing smile on my face -- BTW, how do you leave your house w/ all that anxiety? that part I'm serious about but you don't have to answer b/c it's way tooo personal a Q for these boards.

Anyway, my point was I was very nervous about muster & the Norwalk virus.

Norwalk can be contained by frequent hand washing. I also carried little bottles of no water hand wash antibacterial stuff. On NCL there are hand santizers everywhere. That made me feel so much better, especially b/c it seemed the other passangers actually used them. so don't worry about that.

At muster the 1st thing they said is unlike an airline crash, you can survive a disaster at sea if you pay attention. They had my undivided attention after that.

I think you have all your bases covered. Relax already. I hope you enjoy that 1st drink & that your daughter surprises you by having a great time.

19. Gayle V

Gayle V Guest

Hi Trish, Feel free to ask anything, The answer is that I don't worry at all. Because I'm prepared for anything that I can prepare for, and there's nothing I can do about the rest. If it's in my power, I take care of it. If it's not, then worrying will not help. So, no worries.

20. rocster

rocster Guest

Be sure to take a small flash light, good for the early riser who doesn't want to wake up their spouse/partner.