Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

What CAN go wrong on my cruise?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by GloBug, May 21, 2004.

1. kemptct

kemptct Guest

When hubby and I went last Feb. our table mates did not show up for the first three nights.Come to find out that they were sufffering from "stomach problems" and the ships store did not have any Pepto,Imodium or anything else to relieve thier distress.
    Wish I would have known, my nickname is the walking pharmacy. CK

2. GloBug

GloBug Guest

P0PTO! Going on my list right now!!!

3. Perhaps a bit too late.............don't over plan and don't research absolutely everything before your first cruise. Ok, so now I know it's too late :)

Get off the boards now Glo and leave some room for surprise!! You've done so much research and asked so many questions that your expectations might set you up for a huge dissapointment.

4. GloBug

GloBug Guest

NOPE! I won't be disappointed, because I am packing the right attitude. Seriously, I research everything -- if I buy it, ride it, or go to it, I like to know what to expect. That way, I can enhance it what ever way I can! I know that ship happens, and that some things might go wrong, but heck, that's life. And life is sure wonderful! I am going to have a great time. I have always wanted to go on a cruise, and I am going to walk on that ship with a pocket full of wonder and awe, and if one or two little things go wrong, well, as a memorable hostess did when we accidentally set her table cloth on fire with a knocked over candle, you just put a plate over the burn hole, and don't miss a beat in the conversation!

Besides, I'm in the process of becoming a full fledged addict... how can you ask me to give up C@!?

5. sailingrose

sailingrose Guest

Hey Glo still obsessing I see. That's OK we know your nervous and excited being a first timer. There's nothing like your first.

Here's how I made my list for meds........go to the bathroom cabinet and write everything you see that you could possibly need on your list and then pack it. We take one sleeve of Sudafed, Imodium/pepto, Allergy meds/my daughters eye drops, etc. You get the picture. If the ship doesn't stock what you need you can usually get what you need in the first port.

6. baseballmom

baseballmom Guest

I LOVE Glo's questions, because I'm getting some GREAT info! I had already packed Rolaids, but thanks to Trish I'm adding hand sanitizer, and thanks to CK I've added Pepto, Immodium, and Sudafed tabs. Sure, if something came up (no pun intended) we could buy something in San Diego or Catalina, but now I'm prepared for whatever may happen on our four day adventure! Thanks all! I'm leaving in FOUR days, and it still doesn't seem real. It's taken me 50 years to get to this point! Maybe when the bags are packed and we're on the road to the Port of L.A. reality will sink in. I cannot wait to see the Monarch!!!

Laurie

Counting down to first cruise: Monarch of the Seas June 7, 2004

7. megamind

megamind Guest

Glo,
    If you are this ready for your cruise, you will have the bases covered. If I can add my two cents worth, I sure would take another smaller bag with all your extra goodies in it. The extra bag allows you to pack the "things" you will get while aboard or ashore. As you get a few cruises under your belt, you will find that you probably wont use 80% of what you take. As you read some other threads about packing, you will hear everyone saying "take less". Enjoy your cruise !!!

Megamind

8. usher

usher Guest

Never had a problem, just a few normal slip ups. Only time my baggage didn't make it to the cabin was when they discovered a bottle of wine in it. Had to go to the custom's area and hand it over. Then my bag made it to the room.

9. sailingrose

sailingrose Guest

Pack less......bring more money!

10. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Globug - Just let me warn you about the Monarch's reg. outside cabins! They are incredibly small - 122 sq. feet. I really hope you've got at least a JS cabin. The ones we had on Deck 2 this past April was THE PITS. I've never seen a cabin so small. They were incredibly uncomfortable.

When we went on the Monarch in a GS, we had a great time. Not in the reg. outside cabin ever again!

11. ROSS

ROSS Guest

Did anyone ever read the incredible "Honeymoon Cruise" thread about the couple that took a cruise and the ship hit a reef...etc. etc. etc. This had to be the worst/funniest/horrific story about cruising that I ever read. Someone should post the URL on this thread...the story was just incredible.

Globug...if you read this one you will never worry about anything while you are on a cruise...or maybe you will...oh well...I hope this helps!!! LOL!!!

ROSS

12. jester95008

jester95008 Guest

Glo , I'll be on that same ship that your going on there in Sept. , I don't think you need to bring all that stuff. Maybe a little radio where you can play in your cabin soft with your basic blend of hot jams or something.

13. GloBug

GloBug Guest

We have cabin #1076, which is a jr. suite. And I would love to read about the honeymooners. Any one know how to search for it? Thanks for all the feedback. Now I'm not worried about a thing...er... any reefs near Ensanada or Catalina?

14. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Globug - Don't go on a So. Cal./Baja cruise and expect to find reefs or good snorkeling. For that, you need to go somewhere else. The water is typically very cold in both Ensenada and Catalina. There are some big sea turtles around Catalina which are kinda neat to see, but neither port is known for it's swimming in any form of the word.

I did see some people having a lot of fun parasailing from boats in Catalina last summer. Looked like fun. The island tour of Catalina is a good thing to do if you've never been there before. If you have, then rent a golf cart and go all over on your own. They have a lot of quaint shops near the pier, glass bottom boat rides, kayaking, etc.

15. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Lady Jaq, I was just kidding about the reefs. Somehow, I've developed a rep on these boards for being a worrier (how did that happen?) so I make fun of myself every once in a while! When we go to Catalina Island, we are doing the semi-submersible. But I have to admit, the golf cart thing sounds wonderful!

16. Rosie

Rosie Guest

Glo, it sounds like you are ready! Get rid of any negative thoughts and you will have a great time! Being prepared will make you ready for any little problems that might come up. Yes, bring the immodium and bonine or dramamine - you probably won't need them. Definitely bring the sun tan lotion - I bring aloe, too, you never know. I've used the bandaids too after getting a blister from walking all over town. A love of fun and search for adventure will take you a long way. Enjoy!

17. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Glo - =blush OH!! Didn't get it! Sorry! =blush I shoulda recognized that you're a worrier and joking about it - I'm the same way! :lol

Hope you see some neat things with the semi-sub. I've heard that people haven't seen much, but that was a year ago. Maybe they have a diver now that'll feed the fish so they come to where the sub is. :? :? If you have the time or inclination, rent one of the golf carts. We had a blast going the wrong way down one way streets, "flooring it", and tearing around corners. There's a great view of the ship (perfect photo opportunity) above the harbor by the Wrigley House and it's so easy to get to in a golf cart. :)

If it's any consolation, the last 3 times we did the cruise you're doing, the waves were incredibly flat. There was hardly a wave at all! :) :)

18. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Lady Jaq, I was looking at the semi-sub brochure last night and noticed that there is a button you can push to feed the fish! Knowing how conditioned animals get, I bet they have the semi cruise times down to a science!

I am seriously thinking about the golf cart thing. Do they sit more than 2? There are 3 in our party.

19. baseballmom

baseballmom Guest

Lady Jaq,
    You just convinced me that I absolutely must rent a golf cart on Catalina. Besides wanting to see the Wrigley House, my 14-year-old son will love it when I tool around behind the wheel. We also want to go on the semi-sub and tour the Avalon Ballroom (family history there), neither of which I've booked but will do so TOMORROW when we get on board. Any advice as to timing all of these things? I also want to include a trip to a burger joint and an ice cream place I heard about (one must keep up one's energy, no? :)). My instincts tell me to get the golf cart first, because they may rent 'em all out early.

And Glo...I thought golf carts held 3-4 people -- two in front and two in back, but I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable Cruise @ddicts would know for sure. You can also call one of the rental places and confirm rates, etc.

20. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Laurie, I am so excited for you! Tomorrow is your big day! I'm also jealous! He hee! I'll send you email! Bon Voyage my friend!