Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

What happened to the untrustworthy thread

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by superstein61, Jun 7, 2004.

1. superstein61

superstein61 Guest

Anyone know what happened to the lengthy HAL is untrustworthy thread? Had over 65 posts on - and myself and shipmaven were having a nice horserace of a debate.

Where did it go ?????

2. bOB

bOB Guest

It reached the point of being far less productive than it was in the
    beginning and became constant rehash of the same points and
    there were requests to remove it.

3. superstein61

superstein61 Guest

Requests to remove it???? Wow, from whom? I thought it was a very civil debate.

Quite frankly, IMO its sad that critical comments like that thread are removed. What good is debating something here, or someone posting their opinions, and just because someone else doesn't like them, the thread gets removed.

I can understand if the thread denigrated into name calling and insults back and forth, but that one certainly did not

4. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

superstein61, I for one did request the thread to be removed.

As you are someone relatively new to posting on cruise-addicts, if you look around it's really a community. Sometimes a little bit of censorship needs to be established to keep the productive discussions at the top of the list. The purpose of this forum is to discuss subjects on HAL cruises. That particular thread started as such but turned into a debated discussion that lingered on. The interest was really between 2 people at the end which could be solved in an outside discussion.

I hope you continue to post questions and information on HAL cruises here. Just take note that sometimes a debate may be enjoyable between those debating, just not enjoyable for those reading. Since this is a private message board, the monitors have the right to remove posts that deter from the subject at hand.

Post Edited (06-08-04 10:08)

5. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

As an oldie on the board all I can say is if it wasn't interesting to a reader why go back to it and be bored. The rule used to be about flaming and not playing nice. I must have missed the addition of boring threads. Guess there will be alot more being pulled. Do we need participation from more than X amount of people to keep a thread going? Guess we will have to stay tuned and watch.
    PS I found the thread kind of entertaining.

6. superstein61

superstein61 Guest

Maureen

While I could understand a thread being pulled in the discussion denigrated into name calling, etc - I really have a problem with it being removed because some found it no longer interesting.

No one is going to be interested in every thread on this board. Who makes the determination what thread is interesting and what one is not? There are a ton of threads I have no interest in and would find boring or unproductive. Should they all be deleted> Seems to me, that is not the way to encourage participation and debate.

If people find something not interesting, no one is forcing them to read it. A boring thread would die a slow death on its own. But to have a thread where their was civil debate deleted becuase some others don't find the topic interesting is really amazing in my opinion.

Obviously I don't own the board nor make the rules here, but I really think the powers that be should reconsider this mode of operation

Thanks

7. superstein61

superstein61 Guest

John, thanks - I agree with your sentiments

8. bOB

bOB Guest

John has been around far long enough to know that it takes
    more than just getting boring for a thread to get pulled.
    And the fact that it remained civil is a feather in everybody's
    cap that participated, it way exceeded the intentions, that is
    why it stayed as long as it did.
    Yes, people are entitled to constructive criticism of any cruise
    line, including Holland America, but the posts that ensued were
    not constructive criticism of Holland America, they were pro and
    con criticism of the poster, and the horse-race turned into a horse
    beating.
    Time to consider more productive topics, be they pro or con.

9. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

Superstein..

Just to follow up on your reply..

My reasons were not of a non-interest, boring etc.. but that it had nothing to do with HAL eventually when it became a back-and-forth debate. I did not send in a removal request.. just made a comment in a response I left on the thread last night.

John - I too am and oldie - pre RSMC back in the late 1990's before this board format. Although I've been around a while, I have never been to the HAL boards before the other day. I'm really interested in the MAASDAM and Holland America sailings. Since you are booked on a October cruise, maybe you can share your experience with sailing with them. I'd be very interested. (I've been on RCCL, NCL, Carnival, & Premier).

Post Edited (06-08-04 23:19)

10. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

HAL is in my top 3 cruiselines. I don't find much seperating HAL, Celebrity and Princess. HAL may be a little more laid back and quieter. The service is a tie between HAL and Celebrity. The HAL ships are more traditional with a lot less glitz than Princess. Personally I think Celebrity has better food and HAL has better desserts. I like the Princess ships alot. The Grand class even though huge always seem to have some quiet places to hide out in. Its hard to pick a winner for me. We choose our cruise based on departure port and date. We've been alternating and have never been disappointed. RCCL just doesn't make it for us. Nothing really bad, but we've just come off them saying "okay " nothing special.

I guess in my ideal cruise world I'd like to take a Princess ship with HAL personel serving Celebrity food.

Bob, nice to hear from you. If I don't draw you out from time to time I feel you've forgotten me. Just wanted to make sure you weren't napping LOL

11. moniquey

moniquey Guest

Thank for removing it.

12. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Hi John.....how 'ya doin? :)

13. superstein61

superstein61 Guest

bob

thanks for the explanation, however quite frankly I think thats a lot of garganzola.

Why have a discussion board if topics can't be discussed ad infinitum.

Removing threads which are civil and cruise related that someone feels outlived their usefullness is a dangerous precendent IMO.

But since I am not one of the club here, and since I apparantly took on a couple members who are, I guess thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks - at least I know how the system works here now

14. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Good Sail,
    All ready for your cruise? Maasdam updates sound good and I can't wait for October.

15. bOB

bOB Guest

So it was a trick............... ?? ;)

I may not post much, but I'm always watchin' John.

16. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

I know Bob, but its just natural for the eyes to glaze over once and a while.

17. bOB

bOB Guest

:grin

18. Nice to see you bOB

19. Bruce

Bruce Guest

bOB who?

20. Ali

Ali Guest

Bruce who?