• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What shoes for Alaska

S

sage

I don't mean to turn this into a fashion question, but I've never been to Alaska before. What kind of shoes are best for excursions? We aren't doing any hiking or climbing. In the Caribbean, it has always been sneakers, but I'm not sure if those would be best in Alaska. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

F

Frank Black

I suggest sneakers. I have been on three Alaska crusies. First, the deck of the ship will often be wet. While walking around town, the sidewalks may be wet and often uneven. May I suggest you at least take a tour to see Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Also, look for the fish ladder in Ketchikan.

S

sage

Thanks Frank, and my DH thanks you, as he said I already have enough shoes. We are taking the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest with Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer in Ketchikan. Would the fish ladder you speak of be the one that the salmon jump? That sounds interesting as well.

L

LandLockedInAZ

sage,
I second the recommendation for sneakers with good traction. They'll keep your feet warm and give you something to hold onto wet pavement, etc. I pretty much wore jeans, sweaters and tennies while off the ship. It's a casual place.
The fish ladder is where the salmon should be jumping. We were there in late June (I believe they said this was a high season for their travels?) and didn't see any, but just seeing the ladder was interesting. Which port are you sailing out of? If you are sailing out of Seattle, you might want to carve out a little time before or after sailing to visit the fish hatchery at the Hiram M Chittendam Locks (http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm?sitename=lwsc&pagename=Fish_Ladder). We spent just enough time there to see the fish swimming in the ladders preparing for their next jump and found it quite interesting. They have a glass window so you can view the fish below the water level and from above.
Enjoy your cruise!

S

ShipMaven

Sage - I, too, wear sneakers, the type that are water-resistant. More likely than not, pavement will be wet. The towns on an Inside Passage cruise are pretty rustic compared to what we have in the Lower 48 - and, IMHO, that's what adds to their charm. You definitely do NOT need to be fashion-conscious ashore. Remember to bring rain gear and layering clothes for changeable weather.

As for salmon, you'll be there too early in the season. July/August are the best months for salmon-watching.

S

sage

Thanks ShipMaven. On the fashion related theme, the men want to know if jeans would be out of place on shore or onboard ship in the afternoons? They have already been told it's a no no for dinner.

J

Judi

sage,

As I recall Mal and the rest of the guys with whom we cruised wore jeans both on board and on land, but as you said, not to dinner!

Hope this helps.

We're hoping that we can get back to Alaska next year, and even take our Daughter and Granddaughter....on Volendam with Captain Charly, of course! :grin

S

ShipMaven

Sage,

Judi has already answered - jeans are absolutely fine ashore (in fact, they're very sensible to wear ashore) and during the day aboard ship, but a definite no-no at dinner and at night.

I'm watching the countdown clock for Volendam with GREAT anticipation!

And, Judi - as soon as you know about AK next year, please let ME know. I'll extend my Hawaii cruise by a week if you choose to sail May 10th. :grin

S

sage

ShipMaven,

Will the Alaska cruises really start May 10th, and we will already be there? Oh, my, this is something to think about. We could take the Alaska cruise without having to make an extra trip. Oh, my mind is grabing this one.

S

ShipMaven

BRUCIE!!!!!

Welcome back! Wanna join us in Alaska, too, IF we add AK onto Hawaii? Equal opportunity - 50th followed by 49th state. :) I'll be sure to warn Capt. Charly.....

F

Frank Black

I was in Ketchikan in August two years ago. There were so many salmon, you could pluck them from the water. It was very interesting watching them swim upstream. If you take a walking tour, the fish ladders are about 10 minutes behind the town near Creek Street.

<http://www.alaskatravelers.com/thingsto.htm>

S

sage

Bruce,

It would be fun, and just think of all that plane fare you would save by not having to return later in the season. I really like this idea. Sharon, are you out there? Please give us your opinion.

=lolgang

B

Bruce

Okay...Brucie came and asked me about doing alaska after hawaii, so of course, I had to read the whole thread, well, we will deal with alaska trip later, however, first and foremost, we need to settle this shoe question thing.....one can never have too many shoes on a cruise...you never know what kind of weather there will be nor what kind of "function" you might be attending when cruising...whether you be watching fish jump, watching them get grilled, or eating them, it is important to have the right shoes on...even if they are they same style of "sneaker" you can always have multiple colors, and even vary your style of "sneaker" so that it fits the outfit you are wearing that day...and of course, you have to keep in mind, the "durability" of the sneaker as to how it stands up to water, snow, or reindeer poop you might run across.........so in short, take as many pairs as you wish....just make sure you spread them throughout your several suitcases, in case one gets lost on the flight out there!!!!

Mary Ann - I've already put in my vacation request for the Hawaii trip....I might be pushing my luck to be gone longer, however, I'm might be able to give up my personal email address to my boss and still "work" a little while I am gone...we'll have to see.....
Brucie wants his computer back so i better let him have it....bye...just feel free to ask me any shoe questions in the future....of course, that goes for purses too.....

Mrs. Brucie

S

sage

Thank you Mrs. Brucie. What wonderful advice, and so true. Perhaps I should go one step further and put shoes in everyone's bags. That way they would be safe.

S

ShipMaven

Sage - and if Brucie were to bring his Donald Duck costume, he'd be prepared for the changeable weather in Alaska! :grin

Mrs. Brucie - aka, the Shopping Queen, you've given Sage very sage advice. :grin :grin

J

Judi

Well, as you all know, we can't make any decisions until we see how big a yacht my Dentist, Dr. Frankenstein, will be able to buy upon completion of my personal sessions in Dental #e$$.

However, if it's in the stars (and the moon, and the sun and the planets) that we'll be able to afford it, and Captain Charly will stay on board for the first Alaska cruise, we'll be there!!!!!!!

S

sage

Judi,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to be aboard. Our Dentist took his entire family to Europe on DH's bill alone. I told our DD that she should go to Dental school.