Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

What to do if you are left behind.

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Gayle V, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Gayle V

Gayle V Cruiser's Compass Editor

Let me add this, about the photo copy. Vic and I actually do carry copies, despite being not sure if it would do us any good. But, since we spend a lot of excursion time in the water, it's a gamble we take. I always figured they are at minimum, a copy of our passport numbers, if nothing else.

Well, one time it really was of help. It was one of the times hubby forgot to bring his driver's license, which we were supposed to show, along with the sign and sail card, to get inside the gate that blocks the pier. I was already cursing under my breath at Vic, and just about to run all the way up to our cabin(Again !!!. As this was DH's second time to do this, on the same cruise, no less ) and retrieve the license from the cabin safe ; when I remembered the copies that I had in my purse. These were actually smaller than true life copies, that I shrank down to fit in a wallet pocket. Amazingly the guard accepted that and let hubby through.

2. Einstein

Einstein Well-Known Member

Good advise Gayle as I have known a few folks who have not brought any photo ID along. :biggrin: At least I know the passport copies might work. :doubleup:

3. red stripe

red stripe Well-Known Member

you are talking about me Einstein.:biggrin:

I hate rules that do not make sense... at the gate I show my sign and sail card. to get on the ship I have the computer read my sign and sail card. the ship does not ask me to also show my drivers license. these piers have nothing on them for someone to mess with, so why make us take along another thing to potentially lose.. something that is a PIA to replace. look at all we went through when mugged in Spain?

4. Gayle V

I just think they like to watch couples like us, arguing after one of them has had to run all the way to their cabin and back to get the card.....It was in St Thomas, we were the last ship in the line at the pier. (3 ships back) I was wearing a wet swimsuit, and I was sticky with sea salt, sunburned, had blisters on my feet, the temperature was 90 degrees, and early seating dinner was in only 30 minutes !! Grrr!
    Goodness! You got mugged in Spain ??!! I don't think I ever got to hear that tale. Do tell?

5. LS5099

LS5099 Well-Known Member

"I had always understood that the pilot was in control of the ship once he was at the bridge, and that responsibility for getting out past the buoys marking the channel was his. But that authority ended when he reached that goal and gave back the vessel to the captain."

Can you imagine the time and training it would take for all the Harbor Pilots in the world to learn each and every type of ship and how it manuvered? Do you really think a cruise line or tanker shipping company would allow (for insurance reasons) the Harbor Pilot to actually take the helm and steer the ship?

"That said, it's a fact that they definitely DO do it." (Harbor Pilot ferrying passengers)

That's why I use the word "Most". Also, do you know if these people are passengers or maybe crew. The rules might be different for them. I too have seen it happen and talked to one couple in Key West. They indicated that the Harbor Pilot asked if they had consummed any alcohol. Fortunately they had not and made it back to the ship.

Passport Copies. I was told by a friend that he was allowed to leave Costa Rica with just a color copy of his passport after missing the ship. He was meet at the airport at the next port of call by the cruise line station agent (i believe it was mexico), was allowed to retrieve his passport from the ship to show the custom agent.

Personally, I don't plan on testing any of these.

6. red stripe

red stripe Well-Known Member

hard to tell from your post who you are quoting.. it looks like more than one person., but I think this is from something I said? at least this first paragraph :biggrin:
    :biggrin:

And oh my.. if crew are late..... On one ship we were talking with one of the officers as we all leaned over the railing and watched two crew members running for the ship. The ship did go back in the couple of yards and take them on board, and the officer said to us, that their first meeting would be with the captain,, and their next meeting would be with the airline reservations when they were put off at the next port.
    I felt rather sorry for them.

7. Happy2cu

Happy2cu Well-Known Member

We almost missed the ship (Carnival Valor) last February. We went Cave Tubing in Belize and booked our own tour (even though you could book the same tour with Carnival) with about 30 other people from the Valor. The tour company ended up runnng late - and luckily another tour bus that WAS booked through Carnival broke down so they waited for them - we actually passed them on the way back. We had a wild bus ride back, I swear he was doing 80 MPH on those small windy roads. Ended up getting on the ship right at 5:00 - when it should have been sailing. It was pretty nerve wracking!

8. dereckbc

dereckbc Member

Well I am glad I am worth such a topic. I do not know whether to be offended or flattered. Not, I do not let anyone offend me on forums. :biggrin:

9. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Well-Known Member

Dereckbc - you just brought up a good topic. :biggrin:

10. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

The reason for the photo id is in case you lose the sail card while in port. That happened to Leatherneck one time in Grand Caymen. :whistle:With the photo ID they were able to look his name up on the ship's manifest at the tender station and comfirm via the picture ID that it was in fact him. :boogie:

11. dereckbc

dereckbc Member

OK let's back up as you brought up something I need to know. I am a first time cruiser.

So I leave the ship and go play on an island. I return to the ship.

What do I need to get past peir security and get back on the boat?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  12. Gayle V

Hi Dereck, When you exit the ship, you must take your sign and sail card. You actually won't be able to leave the ship without it, They scan the card as you go. That scanner keeps a record of who is on the ship and who is off.

Then when you return you will again need the sign and sail card, but (most of the time) you will also need some photo ID (like driver's license or passport) to show. Often you have to show them both to a security guard at the gate to the area around the ship, then show them again as you actually walk aboard.

The card scanner at the gangway looks like a speaker's podium. There is a guard standing behind the podium. As you insert your card into the reader on the front of the podium, the guard watches a video screen on his side of it. The screen will display a photo of the owner of the card. Your face better match or you don't board. :)