Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

What's the cheapest you can remember paying for a gallon of gas?

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by GloBug, Jun 25, 2011.

1. GloBug

GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

The cheapest I can remember paying was 25c a gallon in San Francisco, back in 1970. My boyfriend loved it, because he could fill up his VW bug for $2!

We were up to $4.27/gal here not too long ago. I saw it $3.84 yesterday. Because of the release of some of those reserves, it should go down a lot more. :clap:

2. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

Can't remember exactly but it was in the $.20s for me too Glo. I started driving in 1969 and the family cars were a VW bug and a Chevy Malibu. I got to drive the Bug all the time as Dad got a used truck. Our gas right now is down to $3.35.

3. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

Gas was around .74 when I started driving in 1978. Gas in town is $3.59 as of yesterday.

4. sage

sage Well-Known Member

This will of course show my age clearly, but I remember gas costing $.20 a gallon and having the attendant pump it for me, check the oil and tires and then give me stamps and dishware.

5. reggae

reggae Well-Known Member

I remember when we were in high school, I had a car (a very old Ford Falcon)....so I would drive the gang to school each day. Everyone pitched in 50 cents per week, and that would cover the gas for the week :boogie:

I remember it was 19 cents a gallon back then, and it stayed at that same price for years! Oh yeah, Sage, they did pump the gas back then...forgot about that.

Giving away my age here Denise (lol)...I think you and I are close in age...the big one for me is in a few short weeks....YIKES! :bawl:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. Geekette

Geekette Well-Known Member

I started driving in 1968 in the same area as Nieciez and gas was 20-30 cents. My dad had a corvair and my mom had a big ford station wagon. I was permitted to drive whatever was available at the time. As the oldest of 4 siblings I was the chauffeur as soon as I could drive. The upside was my parents paid for my insurance. Gas in Maryland is in the $3.50 range.

7. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Well-Known Member

Red Bird Gas Station in Evansville, IN in Highschool 19.99 cents a gallon - all my friends would pitch in 25 cents and we would fill my gas tank and drive all week! lol

8. Charles

Charles Captain Weather

18 cents.

c

9. GloBug

GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

I seem to remember my mom getting towels at the gas station, or was that in boxes of Duz Detergent?

10. JANPEP

JANPEP Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

When I started driving it was .29 a gal.
    Yesterday it was at $3.57 at most stations around here.

11. nieciez

Yep Patty...I'll be hitting that big one in mid August.

Not only did they pump our gas back then but they also checked the oil AND washed the windshield. They still pump it for you in NJ....not allowed to pump your own up there!

12. reggae

reggae Well-Known Member

(lol)....I remember those boxes of Duz, too, Glo...............geez...you are bringing back some old memories :biggrin:

13. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

I remember those towels too. In fact, I still have some left over from my mothers house that I have used as rags. I might still might have some if I looked hard enough in the rag pile. They came in blue, red or yellow roses.

14. reggae

reggae Well-Known Member

A lot of that "free" stuff from back then is very collectible, for sale on ebay.

15. nieciez

And I remember glasses in laundry detergent too...and yes, the gas stations also gave things away like S&H Green stamps, glasses etc. And remember when jelly came in jars that could be used later for drinking glasses.....

16. audrey

audrey Well-Known Member

I remember when it was .25 cents the lowers here is 3.81 I am going to have to get some today.

17. kpopperwell

kpopperwell Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

I remember the gas wars and the price would go down to .23 cents. Filled up on Wed and it was 3.83. I remember getting the green stamps and the glasses. I also remember the jelly glasses. What fun to go down memory lane.

18. Kathyh1313

Kathyh1313 Well-Known Member

25 cents a gallon for me too, gas pumped, oil and tires checked, front and back windshields washed. Thank you ma'am, S&H green stamps or other gift given....wow...
    I also remember the gas shortage in the late '70s when you could only buy gas on certain days of the week corresponding to numbers on your licence plate...

Those were the days...

19. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

Around 25 cents a gallon back in the late sixties, early seventies. Remembering putting a $1.00 in the tank for my teenage running around

20. nieciez

Yep, we could go a long way back then on a buck of gas even with a lot of the cars being gas guzzlers!