Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

When was your first cruise and what ship was it on?

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by John, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Funnel

Funnel Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor

My first cruise was on the small ship Apollo III back in 1983. It was a 24h cruise from Stockholm to Mariehamn in Ã…land (Finland).

I found a few photos from the cruise:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was small and cozy. Today these 24h cruises to Mariehamn are known as booze cruises, but some have different themes like "dancing", "hard rock", "country and western" etc. Can be rather nice if you stay away from the weekends (with some heavy drinking)... :whistle::biggrin:

My first "true" cruise was just a couple of years ago, 2006, in the Mediterranean with Voyager of the Seas out of Barcelona. A great cruise, but too short.

/Erik

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. wsampieri

wsampieri Well-Known Member

Our first cruise was in April, 1990 on the Amerikanese. This was a Chandris Fantasy Line that held 600 passengers. Chandris was the forerunner to Celebrity Cruise Line. This turned us into Cruise Addicts.

3. gram

gram Well-Known Member

Our first cruise was in 1995 on the Hawaiian American Independence. At that time, I thought the ship was so big. It held 750 passangers.

Evie

4. jk

jk Well-Known Member

My first cruise was on Carnival Festival in 1979. I went with my roommate at the time. We were sitting in our apartment during a blizzard and said let's go on a cruise, lol We took pot luck and got two other roommates for our cabin. It was a blast! I doubt that the cruise lines do that any more. We kept saying that we were going to go again but we each got married, had kids and so on. My next cruise wasn't until 2000 and now SK and I try and go every other year.

5. Patty Kay

Patty Kay New Member

My first cruise was on the Lurline June 1968.....Hawaii to San Francisco!!!! I was 19.....OMG what a blast!!!!!

6. bob

bob Chief Engineer Staff Member

Carnival Tropical
    Western Caribbean sailed from New Orleans 1991, went downhill from there

7. bob

"She was small and cozy. Today these 24h cruises to Mariehamn are known as booze cruises, but some have different themes like "dancing", "hard rock", "country and western" etc. Can be rather nice if you stay away from the weekends (with some heavy drinking)... :whistle::biggrin:"
    (with some heavy drinking)

Ya right..........
    The Silja special was probably named after you....................

8. Funnel

Funnel Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor

How did you know that...? :emoticon 0102 bigsmile:

/Erik

9. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Well-Known Member

Our first was on the Carnival Sensation in 1997.

10. Priscilla

Priscilla Well-Known Member

Our first was on Carnival way back when. We went on a lively Caribbean cruise. Right off, we knew we loved cruising, but wanted a more restful atmosphere. We have sampled many cruise lines since then, but keep coming back to Holland America and adventure cruise lines

11. SherriM

SherriM New Member

First cruise was in 2000, Carnival Elation to Mexico. Had a blast with our, at the time, teenage daughters. Our cabin was a Penthouse suite and the girls loved it. Pretty HOT though. Never will cruise again in August to Mexico! But overall a wonderful first time experience!!! =)

12. bob

Mex riviera is our favorite, done it so many time sometime we don't even get off the ship, it's a cruise to nowhere..........

13. Warthog

Warthog New Member

First cruise was an Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the Island Princess, July 2012. Ship went from Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver. Had a great time and became a cruise addict after that.

14. Steven Merrick

Steven Merrick New Member

My first cruise was on the NCL SS Norway...formerly the SS France. Great old ocean liner!

15. BSeabob

BSeabob Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change Staff Member

RCL's Song of America 1992 Mexican Riviera ...... didn't see bOB ....... been again too..... still have not seen him down there..

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  16. Steven Merrick

Steven Merrick New Member

I remember living in San Franciaco watching the Lurline coming into the bay!

17. SUNNYDAY

SUNNYDAY Well-Known Member

My first cruise was the veracruz. We had such a small stateroom we laughed so much and had a great time. It was a very inexpensive cruise but it was one of my favorite vacations. I guess its what made me a cruise addict also. And i guess thats why almost every year we vacation on a cruise ship.

18. PEB

PEB Well-Known Member

My first cruise was on the SS Independance in Hawaii in 1991 for a total eclipse. I did not want to cruise but the wife and friends talked me into it. I still say they only wanted me along to carry the telescopes and cameras. I was the pack mule. Fell in love with cruising when I saw the ship. I did return to that ship and cruise on her again even though she was old and I still say she is my favorite ship.

19. southsider

southsider New Member

Our first cruise was on Rhapsody of the Seas in 2006. It was a 7-day cruise to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Sailed with my wife's parents; our staterooms were next door to each other. One's first cruise is usually magical - and this one certainly was to us. Hooked us for life, as we now cruise once every two years or so.

20. Aloha

Aloha New Member

My first cruise was 10/2007 on the Victory......this November 2017 I cruise 10 days to the. St. Thomas..St Maarten...Tortola British Island...Puerto Rico...Dominica Republic on Ecstacy. ....this is my 9th cruise......