Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Where's the vanilla?

Discussion in 'Caribbean Ports' started by wildrose, Sep 24, 2003.

1. wildrose

wildrose Guest

I'm slowly getting our March escape together and hope this is my last question!
    We only have three ports ashore, MoBay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.
    Where's the best place to pick up vanilla?
    We're Canadian (eh?) and here vanilla is prohibitively expensive.
    And we can't make waffles without it!

2. rustyfan2

rustyfan2 Guest

I found it in Cozumel, very cheap. But really did not look for it else where. Duh, I didn't know anything about the "good deal" to be had, until our very last port. Good luck.

Kris

Majesty 4/99
    Explorer 3/01
    and real soon......Adventure 10/5/03!

3. DJA

DJA Guest

Of those three, Cozumel is the place. You can get it right at the place by the pier too. If you're ever in Grenada, make sure you get some there.

4. Jeana

Jeana Guest

COZUMEL!!!! It will be everywhere!

5. BurBunny

BurBunny Guest

Just make sure you look for one that is marked as Cumadin free. Cumadin is a common additive to vanilla in Mexico and it is NOT something you want.

6. JanGail

JanGail Guest

You'll find the vanilla at the other ports too- primarily in shops that sell spices. By
    the way, the spices are also a good buy. Going to the Caribbean is a real treat
    for the cook in the family!

JanGail

7. Spender Nui

Spender Nui Guest

Mexico pushes it ..... but if you want vanilla ...... Tahiti is the only place to be. Can't describe it ..... you have to taste it.

8. I know this is probably a dumb question, but isn't vanilla considered a plant? Or do you buy it in the liquid form? I just remember that it's illegal to bring Produce back into the US. Sorry for the dumb question.

9. Pixie

Pixie Guest

That's not a dumb question at all. The vanilla comes from the bean, which indeed, comes from a plant. The vanilla of this discussion is an extract in liquid form. This is not your grocery store product which contains a greater percent of alcohol. It is a wonder to cook with. It's great to just open the bottle and take a whif! We can buy high quality vanilla here in gourmet shops, but the price reflects it. Pick some up while on a cruise. Bring some bubble wrap to protect it. Best purchased in glass bottle rather than plastic.
    Also make sure you buy the ones that read Cumarine free, or this product does not contain cumarine etc. Happy baking! Also makes tremendous gifts for the cooks.

10. cruzin_kat

cruzin_kat Guest

Where is the best place to buy vanilla in the Eastern Caribbean. We're going to San Juan, Nassau, and St. Thomas. Also, what is the average going price for vanilla there?

11. gsamml

gsamml Guest

I usually find it in the same aisle as the sugar and cake mixes.

12. I promised to bring a friend back vanilla from the trip and she requested beans instead of the liquid (she makes her own!!) Can i bring beans back into the country? She also requested ginger root...has anyone purchased that in the Western Carib?

13. Chadrapp

Chadrapp Guest

I have found the best vanilla to be the Reyna? brand. We recently purchased it at a store in Cozumel called Mi Casa. The price was $15 for a litre.

14. tamasutra

tamasutra Guest

I bought some wonderful vanilla at the airport in San Juan some years ago. ;-)

15. cprincess

cprincess Guest

Why should you purchase vanilla in glass bottles instead of plastic?