• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which cabin would you choose?

C

cilla2112

For our honeymoon we have booked the Adventure of the Seas aft cabin (D1) 1690, however now for the same price we can upgrade to a Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee. Since it is a guarantee cabin we will not be able to choose the location of the cabin, however there is a chance we could end up with a really nice suite. Has anyone has experiences with this before. Also, I have never stayed in a Junior Suite so I don't know if it's worth giving up an Aft cabin. What is everyone's opinion should I stay in the D1 aft or change to the guarantee cabin?

C

Cruizer

For our honeymoon we have booked the Adventure of the Seas aft cabin (D1) 1690, however now for the same price we can upgrade to a Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee.

You are currently in a superior balcony stateroom. From the Royal Caribbean website is the following description of the stateroom you are in ...

Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, sitting area and a private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (188 sq. ft., balcony 50 sq. ft.)

You want to "upgrade" to a deluxe balcony stateroom guarantee (again from the Royal Caribbean website for the stateroom you want to "upgrade" to) ...

Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, sitting area, and a private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (173 sq. ft., balcony 47 sq. ft.)

I am not sure why you believe that moving from to a stateroom that is 15 sq. ft. smaller with a balcony that is 3 sq. ft. smaller is an upgrade.

Since it is a guarantee cabin we will not be able to choose the location of the cabin, however there is a chance we could end up with a really nice suite. You have the best balcony stateroom in a prime location and you are looking to downgrade in the false hope that you might be upgraded. Sure, you might be upgraded to a junior suite, but don't count on it. What is far more likely is that you will NOT be upgraded, and if you are, the most likely upgrade is to a superior balcony stateroom, just like what you have now, except it will not be in such a great location.

Has anyone has experiences with this before. Also, I have never stayed in a Junior Suite so I don't know if it's worth giving up an Aft cabin. What is everyone's opinion should I stay in the D1 aft or change to the guarantee cabin? The problem with this is that you are expecting to be upgraded, and not just a simple upgrade, but an upgrade to a suite no less. This is the least likely of all the possible outcomes. Most likely you will end up in another balcony stateroom which is in a less desirable location, and you will spend the entire cruise brooding over your decision to give up a prime cabin location for a downgraded cabin in the hope of getting a two level upgrade to suite.

The only things a junior suite offers over a balcony cabin is priority boarding (which has a limited value - perhaps 10 minutes), a better bathroom and a larger cabin. If there are only two of you, I don't think the larger cabin has that much value.

C

cilla2112

A Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee includes a junior suite or higher. Here is the description from the website.

Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee
Deck(s): Guarantee Stateroom
Occupancy: Up to 2 guests.
Amenities: Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area. (277 sq. ft., balcony 69 sq. ft.)

The description that was included in the previous post was for a balcony guarantee.

So, to clarify my question. I am asking anyone that has stayed in a Junior suite, if they believe the extra room and bathtub are worth giving up an aft cabin?

J

jetblue

It's a matter of personal tastes but we loved the Junior Suite as compared to a normal balcony room. As Cruizer mentioned you get Priority Embarkation, for us though the difference was more than 10 minutes, it was more like 45 minutes. The room is much larger and resembles more of a normal hotel room, rather than a cramped cruise ship stateroom. There is a large sitting area sofa and chairs with a coffee table, 2 large extended vanities, a bathroom with a tub/shower, and a large walk-in closet. Attached are pictures of our room onboard the Explorer of the Seas a few months ago, a sister ship to Adventure of the Seas, so your room would look the same:

P

patchouli_girl

view from the aft cabin balcony...ya know for some clarification...
I would stick with it....I have never personally had an aft balcony but they are coveted cabins.....it sounds and looks so much nicer than a possible upgrade(this having been seen in pics on this forum as well as fellow cruise addicts accounts)...
you may get stuck with partially obstructed views or a deck that you may end up loathing...
but the aft balcony view is so beautiful....its like having box seats to wherever in the world you are visiting....

and I have the same type of cabin booked on the Enchantment of the Seas for october 4th and a little more room and a bathtub were not an issue for us...the balcony was really all that mattered to us....everyone is different though!

hope that helped!

P

PH8

Not sure where the pics with the wooden balcony furniture came from?????????????

If its not that much difference,go for the chance of the JS........

J

jetblue

Beth, those aft balcony pictures you have posted are not anything like what will be featured on the OP's ship, the Adventure of the Seas. Unfortunately there is a design flaw on the Voyager class and the aft balconies aren't as coveted as they may be on other ships due to the fact that they are pushed 20-30 feet into the superstructure. Here's the best picture I could find:

R

rockymtn

Cilla. we are booked in AOS 1694 for Dec. The structure takes some of the view away from the aft balcony, but on the 10th level you are on seems to be the better view of the aft levels. Seach AOS aft pictures and you will see. I still think they will be great. The balcony is larger with room for 2 lounge chairs, and I have read that there seems to be a little bit more privacy on the aft rooms on the balcony. Aft balconies are MUCH larger on Voyager Class Ships (2 to 3 times as deep).
Look at http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi for pics and info on AOS aft cabins
Enjoy your honeymoon

S

sealover

Since it is your honeymoon I would just book the cabin you will be happiest in, rather than take the chance of being moved to a less than great cabin. Booking a Gty is not a "sure" thing for upgrades.. you "might" be upgraded...but then again you might not...just not a gamble I'd want to take on my honeymoon....

T

tmoore4075

[quote sealover]Since it is your honeymoon I would just book the cabin you will be happiest in, rather than take the chance of being moved to a less than great cabin. Booking a Gty is not a "sure" thing for upgrades.. you "might" be upgraded...but then again you might not...just not a gamble I'd want to take on my honeymoon....[/quote]

That is my feeling too. Don't take the chance if you will be happy with what you have now.

B

begat7

Congrats on your honeymoon!!! My husband and I went on our first cruise on our honeymoon. Now, 12 years later we are Diamond with Royal Caribbean!! How time files. We have been in all types of cabins, from the Owners Suite on Voyager, to an inside guarantee on Explorer. We had Aft Jr. Suites on Explorer, and I hated them. Don't get me wrong, a Jr. Suite is wonderful, but frankly I hated having a cabin in the back.(Aft). First of all, there was NO breeze and the elevators are Really far away on a large ship. (No good for stumbling back to your cabin after a few!! ) Also, I love looking out over the water on a side balcony, it is not like that on an aft balcony. It is bigger, but NOT better. Two nice chairs and a view from the side of the ship is much better.

Also, remember, a Jr. suite will give you 2 cruise credits, a balcony stateroom only one. So if you are looking to up your status, which really comes in handy, for tons of free perks, take the Jr. Suite guarantee.

My guess is if you are a young couple looking for fun and convenience, aft is not for you. If you want lots of quiet and don't plan on leaving the room too much, then aft is fine, but I bet you will be disappointed by the balcony!! Not that great!!