• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which East. Caribbean Port to Skip??

L

Lstjohn

Our family of 4 live in Florida. We all love the Ships so much, we have decided to skip one of the ports and just stay on the ship and indulge ourselves. We have 2 teens (13 & 16) and our son doesn't get too excited just hanging out at a beach all day (unless there were some activities) and my husband (who suffered a stroke 6 years ago) has some difficulty with long walks, can't climb rocks and not able to snorkel... Any advice on which port may be the best to skip? The ports are San Juan, Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas), Phillipsburg (St. Maarten) and Nassau, Bahamas and we are sailing on the Navigator during the summer. Thank you for your help!

M

marleejean

If you are arriving in San Juan late afternoon or early evening, I would suggest staying on board that day. Not much to see or do that late in the day. The other ports you'll be getting to in the morning, so will have plenty of day light to have fun. (JMHO)

:wave

M

mhrxman

My wife and I LOVED St. Maarten - don't miss it! The shops are neat and the people are very friendly. We even went swiming on the little beach near where the ship docks. You can take a water taxi right downtown for a couple of $ US.

We enjoyed walking around in St. Thomas - a side trip to St. John is BEAUTIFUL. There's lots of shopping right at the port and it's a short distance to downtown at St. T.

If I had to pick another to skip (the advice from marleejean about PR is good - not much time), I'd probably stay on board when you get to Nasau. Lots of folks wanting to take you on a tour and braid your hair. It's fun, but I'd be o.k. to miss it.

We love to stay on board as well. We try to pick routes that have at least 1 day "at sea."

Hope you have a great cruise!

mhrxman

T

Terrimcc

Given those choices, I would stay on board at Nassau. Not much missed if you don't go ashore. Have a great time. Terri

Sovereign of the Seas 4/2002
Majesty of the Seas 11/2002
Grandeur of the Seas 3/2003
Sovereign of the Seas 12/2003
Splendour of the Seas 04/2004
Empress of the Seas 1/2005

L

Lstjohn

Thank you for the advice! As we are only in Nassau from 1-7pm, that will be the one we skip.

S

sailboat

Well if you need it, here's another vote to skip Nassau. The interesting stuff is all over on Paradise Island--mostly hotels and resorts. The town of Nassau is fairly tired looking and the main attraction--the straw market--has been jammed into hot, dark and dust tents after a fire burned down the original market. You'll also find it easy to stay on the ship in San Juan--although I love walking around Old San Juan, it can be hot hot hot during the day and there are lots of hilly narrow streets.

J

JeffFwa

Given the choice, I'd probably skip Nassau. Unless you're willing to pay for an expensive excursion, =shrug there's not much to do there execpt shop, and the shopping is better on the other islands. In San Juan, you can walk or cab over to the fort for an interesting tour without breaking the bank. There is a ton of stuff to see in St. Thomas and St. Maarten, so don't miss those :nono.

O

ondeck@sea

Put me down in the skip Nassau column too. As far as I'm concerned it's just a big smelly parking lot of ships ending their cruises in Florida the next day. Paradise Island is nice though if you feel like taking a cab or the water taxi over there for a few hours.

G

gillac

When you take a cab or the water taxi to Paradise Island, what do you do there? We had a great day in Nassau at Blackbeard's Cay. But, next time, we are looking to do something different.

G

gardenchick1

The Atlantis is nice, but most parts you can only see if you purchase a pricey day pass. If you plan to spend the day there, the day pass is worth the money as the grounds and swimming facilities are superb. If you just want to look around, there's not much they'll allow you to see without being a guest.

I agree with most everyone else. Skip Nassau -- the shopping is mediocre and the straw market is almost claustrophobically crowded.

F

frilly743

I vote for either San Juan or Nassau. Definitely San Juan if you port there in the evening. There's really not much to do there at night.

St Maartin is one of our favorites. :)

L

ljeanbrown

Another vote for Nassau, Not to put the island down, but if one is to be picked to skip, I have to say that one. St. Maartin is a great island don't miss this one :thumb and if you have some time San Juan has some very nice tours but if it is just a late afternoon to evening stop there isn't much to do. You can shop in ST. Maartin it is less expensive than St Thomas. Have a wonderful cruise :wave