Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Which is more important to you?

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by LandLockedInAZ, Feb 17, 2006.

1. So, it seems many people have a favorite ship, but when choosing to book a cruise, which is more important in your decision making-
    the ship or the itinerary?

2. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Departure port is a biggy with us.

3. ewheelock

ewheelock Guest

Yes, the departure port is the most important to me because if I don't have to fly then I can afford a better cabin. Price is also important, then ship the ports.

4. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

For me, ship and itinerary are very closely entwined. But I guess ship will have the edge because I can put up with a less-than-ideal itinerary if I love the ship.

5. We have no choice - we have to fly - Pittsburgh is not an embarkation port.

And with no direct flights to many ports any more - it is becoming a hassle to fly - long days - getting too much for us.

Itineraries are important to us.

6. sage

sage Guest

For me, the ship is a big part of my destination. I can learn to love the itinerary.

7. I'm with you, Krazy Kruizers. No ports in Arizona, either!
    I think I give the edge to ship. I would consider an itinerary I wasn' t in love with just to be on a ship I've not yet sailed or loved from a previous cruise.

8. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Pittsburgh to the pier in NYC is only a 320 mile drive..............................

9. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

John - We're waiting for the "big one" to hit California so that Phoenix will become a bustling cruise port. :grin

10. Neither DH or I drive long distances anymore. DH can't becuase of all the numerous medications he takes.

We wouldn't mind flying but in the last year most of those short flights are on commuter planes - don't like them. And they do not guarantee that your luggage will be with you on the plane.

11. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Port Scottsdale maybe???

12. [quote JOHN(NJ)]Port Scottsdale maybe???[/quote]

Works for me!

13. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

John - I LIKE your thinking! That has a nice ring to it.

14. Wish they would widen the Mississippi and dredge it more - then it could be Port Pittsburgh.

Although I do have to admit that about 2 times a year we get either the Delta Queen, or Mississippi Queen here. Once we got the American Queen.

15. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

I choose an area where I want to go, then pick the best ship available with the most interesting itinerary.

16. bluefish

bluefish Guest

I pick an itinerary that interests me, one with at least a couple of good scuba diving stops, then look for a cruise that visits them during the time frame when I can sail. Price also plays a big part in selection. Finally, I'm not particularly interested in trying a carnival cruise and I refuse to choose an itinerary that stops in Jamaica.

17. Cruzman

Cruzman Guest

Embarkation port is the most important consideration as we always drive to the port (can't deal with the airline thing anymore). For me that means Florida, Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, or Charleston. The next consideration is of course cruiseline and price. I like to book the best accommodations for the most competitive price, and then the itinerary comes into play. Of course, being able to get the time off is always a consideration, lol.

18. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

[quote JOHN(NJ)]Port Scottsdale maybe???[/quote]

Phoenix already has a port, it is called Sky Harbor. I was just there in February. Didn't see any cruise ships, but Sky Harbor is waiting. Maybe in the summer when its warmer.

19. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Cruizer - is that a promise that our Sky Harbor will become a cruise port this summer? :grin

20. Joanandjoe

Joanandjoe Guest

[quote Cruizer]I choose an area where I want to go, then pick the best ship available with the most interesting itinerary.[/quote]

I agree, Cruizer. Choose a general area of interest, then choose the ship, but make sure the itinerary is good. If the ship cruises from a place I can drive to, so much the better.

Having said that, the best cruise we ever had was based on itinerary. We got an irresistable offer for a B2B cruise in 2004 on the Wind Surf, Nice to Barcelona to Lisbon. We couldn't resist the itinerary and price, which was less for both legs than either leg of the B2B now costs.

Both itinerary and ship must be good. We'd love to have a 1 week cruise in Hawaii, where we've never been; but not if the only choice is NCL. On the other hand, if we got a good price, even a so-so itinerary would be enough to cause us to sail again on Windstar or Radisson (which has changed its name to Regal).