Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Which sounds better?

Discussion in 'Caribbean Ports' started by HoustonTodd, Sep 28, 2009.

1. HoustonTodd

HoustonTodd Active Member

Two ships, same line, #2 though would be about $400-500 more all told (which is about 17% more expensive or so).

Itenary1 - Grand Cayman. Cozumel. Belize. Isla Roatan.

Itenary2 - San Juan Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Maarten.

I've been to both Grand Cayman and Cozumel before (and loved both), but have never been to the other ports. I am interested from those who have, which sounds the better itenary to you? Are there any ports there that you would rather miss, or ones that are "don't miss" types?

I'm not a first time cruiser, but I am a relative novice still. I appreciate any input!

2. Mr. Utley

Mr. Utley Well-Known Member

I've been to all those places and I'd pick #1. The #2 itinerary is worth doing, but if you intend to do more cruising, you'll have plenty of chances, as it is the most common Eastern Carib itinerary. Of course, it always depends on what you like to do on shore. Eastern is known for beaches and shopping, Western more for exploration and snorkeling.

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I would have to know what the ships/cruise line are before I made a decision on which itinerary to book. :)

4. Mbandy

Mbandy Well-Known Member

Number one, no doubt about it.

Corky, it is Carnival Valor from Miami and Carnival Legend from Tampa.

5. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mbandy. I would pick # 1 then and save the $400-500. :)

6. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

I would pick @ 1

7. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

Adding to the comments already posted, if you enjoy beaches, swimming, snorkeling, SCUBA, etc., then #1 definitely is the better choice.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

8. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

Another vote for # 1.

Really enjoyed Roatan, Honduras. Prices are reasonable. Nice selections on excursions. And, very good bargains on woodcraft products.

9. MisterD21

MisterD21 If you take me serious, it's your problem

I would vote for #1 as well.... although keep in mind that any cruises to honduras may have that port cancelled in the near future if the instability in the honduran governance continues. It seems as if there is a remote chance for things to get ugly there in the near future..

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_4526.html <-- travel advisory
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1135.html <-- country info

Not certain wether or not the travel advisory will be dropped after oct.20th or if it will be extended. either way it is definitly something to consider if you are cruising there in the near future..

10. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Well-Known Member

Depends on where you are coming from also - expense to fly to San Juan Puerto Rico to cruise out of would be enough of a NO for me!

11. Babone

Babone Active Member

I liked Puerto Rico alot, it has nice character if you go to Old San Juan. St.Thomas and St. Maarten are beautiful islands with wonderful beaches. They are much better than the ones one the other itenary.

12. Mbandy

Mbandy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about the political situation in Honduras. Roatan, being an island, is fairly isolated from the mainland where all the trouble has been. You can bet that cruise lines will not take their passengers, crew and vessels anywhere that would put them in harm's way.

13. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Well-Known Member

JMHO..pass on Puerto Rico..whether as a fly in port, or drop by on ship..been there and done that..3 X in fact..NOT worth it..to fly in ...is HUGE extra $ , the airport is a major PITA, and all things there expensive..and as for considering it a "prize stop by island"..:eek: forget IT!!..parts of it are filthy, beaches in poor shape, and so not even worth stepping off ship... so I vote for # 1 as well ....Happy research...:)..Joanne

14. PH8

PH8 Well-Known Member

I prefer the Eastern over the Western(even tho I LOVE Mexico) so I would pick #2..

Not a big fan of Belize.........