• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Who holds the record for being on the Grand Princess the most?

L

Lady Jag

I know there are some @ddicts out there that have been on this ship a bizillion times. Where are you? What makes you choose this ship over and over?

Our Dec. cruise will be our 3rd time, but that's nothin' compared to some of you! :)

L

ljeanbrown

bobbie,
We have only been on the Grand once, but we really enjoyed it and would love to sail onboard again. We really didn't feel like it was crowded even though it was a larger ship. I love the way the pools are spaced out as well as the hot tubs, makes it far less crowded than other ships pool areas that are all grouped together. The solarium was our favorite spot for the afternoon :thumb The aft adult pool area is also a great place and the island night party they have back there was a lot of fun :party I am jealous of all of you that have gotten to sail on the Grand several times. Guess I need to plan a cruise onboard soon :lol

L

Lady Jag

Well, since no one else is replying Laurie, maybe we should change the topic to "the Grand Class" ships instead. I know JoAnne, Cruise Cutie, has been on the Golden at least twice.

Anyone else? How many times have you repeated Grand Class ships? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

H

Hucc

I have been "Grand class" twice: the original Grand Princess and the Diamond Princess :)

they're nice ships.... I'm not beating any records, though... I like to try out different classes of ships and cruise lines B)

L

Lady Jag

Me too, Hucc. For some reason, it just worked out that way for us - the itineraries were what we were attracted to, but I would rather try new & different ships than going on the same one a ton of times. =dunno

H

Hucc

LJ, I know exactly what you mean. I don't love the NCL Majesty, but I love where it goes, and the convenience of cruising out of Boston to Bermuda. So, we've done the NCL Majesty four times. I think we're done with that ship. :)

Still planning more Bermuda cruises "some day" on "some ships.") :grin

L

Lady Jag

I'd really like to get to Bermuda one day. Have you seen the new Crown Princess' itinerary? It only has one day in Bermuda, but it'd be fun to give the new ship a try and go down to the Caribbean also. Would love to sail out of NYC sometime too. Is one day enough in Bermuda?

H

Hucc

one day is not enough time in Bermuda

I like the Crown Princess itineraries... However, we'd likely do the western one, because the ports of more interesting to us.

T

TheChad

My wife and I have been on the Grand Princess twice. The first time was in December, 2000. It was our honeymoon cruise.

The second time was in December/ January, 2001/2002. Our family gathered to be together after my dad passed away from cancer.

She and I are booked on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska in July. Looking forward to re-creating the peaceful bliss we experienced on our honeymoon cruise.

S

Snowblower

Lady Jag,
Here is our "Grand" list:
Grand - 1x, Star - 2x, Diamond - 2x, Sapphire -2x, Golden -1x. In the next 18 months we will be on the Sapphire -2x, Golden - 2x and the Star -1x. We like crusin the Grand Class ships but do have to say the Grand was our least favorite ship....

H

higavin

Snowblower, why does the Grand rates so low with you?

you obviously have a lot of experience with many cruises so your opinion is valued.

I also want to thank you for the many helpful postings you've made to this forum.

S

Snowblower

Higavin,
You hit me with a tough question. First of all the Grand is a nice ship. I didn't mean to down-grade it but there were things that happened during our cruise that didn't sit well with us. Many issues were with the cruise staff and this one time the experience wasn't very good. The cruise director and his staff just seemed to go through the motions and were not motivated. We had to beg our cabin steward several times for minor items that are normally stocked in any stateroom. Several moving parts in the stateroom were either broken or didn't function properly (drawer handles broken/missing). The sink and shower/bath were both plugged up when we first boarded. During our entire cruise we hardly got anything repaired. They worked on the shower/tub and sink at least a 3-4 times and it still never seemed to drain properly.

You can go to the Princess.com website and look at the layouts for the Star, Golden and Grand and they will appear the same. Actually the Golden and Star are identical; the Grand is slightly different particularly with the stair case layout. The Star/Golden are much easier to get around because the stairs mid-ship go top to bottom in the ship where at the time of our sailing the Grand didn't have these stairs on the top decks. Drove us nuts that we had to walk to all the way forward/rear of the ship if we wanted to take the stairs to the Lido deck. The elevators on this ship were real slow so that is why we took the stairs. There were other little things with the layout that drove us nuts that are not worth explaining because you won't notice unless you have sailed several of the other ships of this type.

All things considered the overall experience was good and we did enjoy several parts of the cruise. Things just weren't great like other cruises. I want you to know that its highly unlikely that any of this will happen to you or your family when you cruise this ship. Princess has always provided great service and that is why we continue to sail with them. The majority of staff that was there when we sailed (almost two years ago) is now gone. The contracts of these individuals have long expired and if they treated others like us I bet they are no longer working for Princess because they won't put up with it.

R

redcrown

I have been on the Grand 3 times. Would have been 4 but she went out to Texas and the put the Caribbean Princess in her place, so we did her.

M

marye

Have sailed the Grand 3 times, the Caribbean Princess once, and will be trying the Golden this May.