Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

why is attire such a sore subject on this board?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by clarkie138, Aug 23, 2004.

1. bicker

bicker Guest

Ross wrote:
    Ross: You could have just checked this stuff out on RCI's web site, if you were unsure. Here's the information:

The RCI web site says:
    Ross wrote:
    Just for full disclosure: I dress formally with a suit.

2. sailboat

sailboat Guest

Have you ever gone to a party that you thought was casual and were aghast to find that everyone was dressed up? That happened to me once; fortunately, I saw the partgoers thru the living room window and did not live far away. So I hot-footed it back home and changed from my "nice slacks and sweater" to a dress and heels. I know my friends would have welcomed me anyway, but I would have felt uncomfortable being the only casually dressed person in a room full of party dresses and suits.

And that's what is behind the suggested or requested dress codes--everybody's social (if not necessarily physical) comfort. I remember our first cruise: "DId people REALLY dress up," we wondered and were delighted to find out that yes, indeed they do. No one wants to stick out in a tux and gown, either.

I think people get het up because they feel (incorrectly) that they are being forced to do something they don't want to do. WIth several dining options--including room service if you just feel like having a PJs and bunny slippers night, the choice of dress is just that--a choice. I agree with other posters who state that we'd dress up nicely for a four star landside place, so why not give props to the ship's elegant dining venue as well. We love that whole James Bond feeling and everyone looks so nice and festive. It's one of the things that sets cruising apart and makes it special.

And to anyone who wants to ask "the dress code question-"-please do. You'll find plenty of friendly, nonjudgmental advice to outweigh the "other kind," on this board and others.

3. ROSS

ROSS Guest

HI BICKER,

The 2004-2005 RCI Caribbean brochure: page 115..."for evening wear count on three basic types of attire." There is no mention of "Suggested" or "Requested".

the 2004-2005 Celebrity brochure: page 108 uses the word "Suggested" for port wear and I believe the words "Requested Dress" shows up on other Celebrity literature...I will ttry and find it...Any way...you can see why all the confusion. Also the daily programs use words that are much stronger than "Suggested"...Go figure...Makes for a lot of misunderstanding.

ROSS

4. bicker

bicker Guest

Clearly, anyone who visits the web site can readily choose to consider that source the definitive, most up-to-date source of information from RCI, and that is undeniable. You're welcome to believe as you wish, just as they are. Since both perspectives are equally supported by the evidence, neither perspective prevails over the other.

5. Searcher

Searcher Guest

bicker Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Clearly, anyone who visits the web site can
    > readily choose to consider that source the
    > definitive, most up-to-date source of information
    > from RCI, and that is undeniable. You're welcome
    > to believe as you wish, just as they are. Since
    > both perspectives are equally supported by the
    > evidence, neither perspective prevails over the
    > other.

Agreed bicker!

This page clearly states "Dress suggestion" "suggested guidlines" and under formal "Suit and tie"

How one can twist this page to mean some thing else is beyond me but I guess they have fun doing it. :)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/finda...vMrB96Uko5NtH6F9wIKv1:v29bc620?br=R&exCode=23

As for the vocal minority insults...

Y'all keep bringing it up hence y'all are the vocal trouble makers who will not let a sleeping dog lie.

Why you should care what I wear to the Windjammer is unbelievable to me as is the fact that the wife and I have eaten 70 plus dinners in a row at the Windjammer, is non comprehensible to you.

I AM sorry but formal night stops at dinner and I have a suggestion to those who demand the whole ship dresses formally the whole night. Tell us all how you feel and complain to all that your cruise is being wrecked. That should entertain you the rest of the night and feed your impulsive need to complain.

6. bicker

bicker Guest

I don't think it is an "impulsive need to complain." I think the motivation is more along the lines of a desire to control the offering so that it meets one's own preferences, rather than the broader market's. The reality is that cruising used to be affordable only to people who, predominently, preferred a very specific culture. Now, cruising in one of many, competitive and readily-affordable vacation options for the mass market, and as such, the mainstream cruise line offerings meets the specifications of the broader market. Lots of folks, though, still want the only cruise offering that was offered in the old days, but are unwilling to spend the extra money necessary to secure that type of offering on one of the upscale cruise lines that offer it. They want to benefit from the reduction in price as compared to the price of cruising in the past, brought-about by the expansion of the market and the consequent economies of scale, but they don't want to accept that the expansion of the market means that their personal preference is no longer the dominant perspective.

7. Searcher

Searcher Guest

bicker Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > They want to benefit from the reduction in price as
    > compared to the price of cruising in the past,
    > brought-about by the expansion of the market and
    > the consequent economies of scale, but they don't
    > want to accept that the expansion of the market
    > means that their personal preference is no longer
    > the dominant perspective.

Well writen....

In short, some love to "play the role" but have no desire to "pay the toll". ;)

8. red stripe

red stripe Guest

very good reply Hal, and Ruby.. I have never figured out why formal dress has to be uncomfortable? When I buy my formal stuff I make sure that it is something that I am comfortable wearing the whole night.. shoes too :lol

someone mentioned a cruise where people were in shorts on formal night.
    We had the same thing happen and with the same cruise-line.

And although I wonder why someone would even want to go into a room filled with people in evening dress when wearing a pair of shorts.. in this case I feel that the cruise-line was at fault.
    They said that there would be ONE room devoted to formal dining that night.

Now that is one out of eleven places to get food.

we went down and were shown to a table, eventually another couple dressed formally were seated. and then another.. then they brought in a couple dresses in Hawaiian shirts and shorts and sat them at the same table.

It was a most uncomfortable night.. not because we all turned our noses up at them, but because we ALL were going out of our way to keep telling them that it was OK.. They spent the whole meal saying that they "wished they had of known" "they wished they had dressed up" and that "they were sorry"....

So if they had not noticed it in the daily paper.. then why when they came to the door.. didn't the staff politely tell them that for that night only that particular dining room was devoted to people in formal attire and that there were ten more places for people in casual dress??

Yes, you are certainly entitled to wear what you want in the evening, but as so many here have mentioned.. there are plenty of places to dine on a ship.. also pointing out that you would not go to an upscale eatery on land in shorts.. and many other good points.
    So if you do not want to dress up.. why go to a dress up place?

I could understand if there was only one place to eat, and you were told that you HAD to dress up or not be fed, but this is not the case.

When I do not feel like dressing up, I go to one of the more casual places to eat.
    But I would never be impolite to someone who was not dressed the same as me.

9. Corky

Corky Guest

Boy - Smart casual night is going to be a pretty sight...dresses or pantsuits for women: but the Men only need to wear their Jackets!!! Tee-hee-ha-ha!!! :grin :grin

:cheers

10. ROSS

ROSS Guest

HI BICKER!!!

I can't imagine where you got that name... As usual you have decreed that the RCI web site is the be all end all...blah blah blah... My point is that the information on dress is not uniform...The web says one thing and the brochures say another and the daily program says something different as well. All this inconsistency leads to a lot of confusion...and that is a fact. If it weren't so we would not have all of this discussion on the boards.

The survey said that the issue WAS NOT ABOUT CONTROL. The issue was about civility and good manners and that is a fact...not conjecture.

HI SEARCHER!!!

You wrote, "As for the vocal minority insults"

What insults were those??? The survey said that 90% wanted to follow the "Requested Dress". Therefore, the pax who were complaining about not following the dress code (9.66%) are, indeed, a vocal minority...That's a fact...not an insult.

There also seems to be some confusion regarding formal dress. A suit is perfectly acceptable on formal night, as mentioned on the web and in the literature.

ROSS

11. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

=lolgang =lolgang=lolgang..:spank CORKY>>>> Bad!!!!...;)..Joanne

12. bicker

bicker Guest

> As usual you have decreed that the RCI web site is the be all end all...blah blah blah...

I'm sorry that the facts upset you. The information provided by a service provider does indeed govern how the service is provided, rather that your own personal preference in that regard.

13. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

ROSS AND BICKER>>>:grin..go to Neutral corners and / or your ROOMS!!!...:evil :sniper =devil :spank..OK BOYS..if you can't play nice..you don't get to play at all...........:grin :grin :grin................Man why do I feel like you are 2 extra kids on a playground that won't share your marbles nicely..????????? Honestly!!..=peace =peace =peace =whiteflag =whiteflag =whiteflag......................................;)..Joanne

14. bicker

bicker Guest

I think your attempt to appear parental would be a bit more convincing if you didn't resort to quite so many smileys. <rolling eyes>

15. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

:wave..Bicker..CYE..as in "private messages"....where it says forum list, search ,my control list etc... "top of the yellow banner..."click on private messages" please.....Thanks..Joanne

16. Corky

Corky Guest

Cruise cutie - just trying to lighten the moment so to speak!! :grin :cheers :lol :wave

17. bicker

bicker Guest

Cutie/Corky: On some message boards, it is called disrupting the flow of the discussion, and is often deleted by the moderator. I don't think Ross' statements were grievous enough to constitute a personal attack. All he said was, "I wonder how you got that name." That's actually a running joke with my handle, all across the Internet. It surely didn't warrant having the discussion disrupted. Although I disagree with Ross and red stripe, I respect them enough not to trivialize what their trying to say. I would appreciate it if you would show the same respect.

18. magooq

magooq Guest

I would like to add here. My boyfriend and I went on the Nav. of the seas on 8/21. Prior to going I reviewed the dining attire requirements and read that they were supposed to turn away anyone not abiding by it. This was not the case...I saw flip flops, shorts, jeans etc.

If this is going to be the norm, why not relax the dress code? My boyfriend was so mad due the fact that we packed according to their guidelines. We would much rather be relaxed but if the cruiseline says their is a dresscode, who are we to decide not to abide by the rules.

19. ROSS

ROSS Guest

HI CRUISE CUTIE!!!

Bicker and I go around on this subject all the time. He knows and I know that what we say is jocular and sparring but never viscious. We always have strong opinions but they are tongue in cheek with a sense of humor behind it all.

(The only difference is that my opinions are usually backed up by facts!!! LOL!!!)

ROSS

20. Corky

Corky Guest

Bicker - Totally quoted out of the Royal Carribean 2004-2005 brochure. :)

No offense meant or implied. :) :) :)