Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Why is CCL so much cheaper than other cl's?

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by cruzlovr, Jul 12, 2004.

1. cruzlovr

cruzlovr Guest

I cant help but notice the big difference in the prices between Carnival and other lines like Royal Caribbean and Noregien. Is Carnival a lower grade vacation? Can I expect as much from them as I would a more expensive ship?

2. serene56

serene56 Guest

Last year I was able to cruise on the VOyager for a lot less then Carnival. That was why I was able to go. The price.
    I was under the same assumption that Royal was a lot more expensive for a cruise. Price around because you can get some good deal.

I have never found a cheap cruise with Disney. They were always $$ more.

3. lainie

lainie Guest

I have only cruised on CCL so I don't have anything to compare to but I have loved every single one of my cruises -- got a great cabin, awesome food and excellent service, and the ships are gorgeous.

Sensation 2000
    Elation 2001
    Victory 2002
    Spirit 2003
    Legend 2004
    Glory 2004

Post Edited (07-12-04 13:28)

4. imlulu

imlulu Guest

I have found they are all about the same except for Disney...this is the mass cruiselines...it all depends on ship age, size, time of year...

5. DanielR2004

DanielR2004 Guest

You will be getting more for your money on CCL in terms of your cabin. Carnival has the largest cabins in the industry.

-Daniel

6. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

I was just wondering Daniel if you happen to be a travel agent. Please, I don't mean this in any negative way. I was just wondering because one of the ways to know all about the square inches of the cabins on most major ships is to sell cabins.

As you can see from my list of past and future cruises I have comparisons of cabins on Golden Princess and have been slightly disapointed and RCI's Voyager, again surprised of how small it is. There not tiny by any stretch, but not big.

Now, Carnival Legend's rooms were really very comfortable.

Again, I'm not being derogatory, just trying to get information. They do have the largest rooms in the industry?

7. Cruzman

Cruzman Guest

I will agree that standard cabins on Carnival ships are among the largest when compared to other mainstream cruise lines. Having said that, Carnival's standard outside cabins are 185 sq ft, while HAL's counterpart is nearly 200 sq ft. RCCI's range from 117 to 150 sq ft. You can check out cabin layouts and sizes at the cruisestateroom.com website.

8. Nanni-B.

Nanni-B. Guest

I paid less for my RCCL Grandeur of the Seas balcony cabin in 2003 than my balcony cabin on Conquest 2004 sailing during the exact same time of year. I used the same travel agent and booked the cruise at the same time each year. The Grandeur cabin was also on a much nicer deck than where I was on the Conquest. Carnival is not always cheap. Our food was the BEST on Carnivals older Inspiration in 2002 of all three ships, as was the cabin stewart! Cabin was bigger on Conquest than Grandeur but the bedspead and couch were a bit beat up.

9. dmdiver

dmdiver Guest

i have always read that carnival's cabins are bigger than everyone elses and i'm not in the travel industry. i think i read it in some ship review or something & then it seemed like i saw it mentioned on travel sites.

10. Don

Don Guest

Some people say (i.e., many passengers and most professional critics) that overall Carnival is not quite up to the quality of most of the other major market cruise lines. However, Carnival has the reputation of being one of the best values for the money and one of the best for families. We've cruise Carnival and RCL. RCL was definitely a cut above as far as overall ambience and art on the ship. However, we really liked Carnival better for overall quality of the cruise. The issue of cabin size is an example. Yes, Carnival's decor is a bit tacky compared to RCL. But the cabins are bigger and are very comfortable. Here's a small thing, but one that matters to me. Carnival has self-service laundromats on board. RCL and some of the others do not. Is this tacky? Maybe, but it's also very convenient because I can pack less and do one or two loads of laundry while soaking up rays by the pool. Most critics and passengers also agree that the onboard entertainment and the major shows are very good on Carnival, perhaps the best in the industry. Again, this is very important to me. Yes, the theatres are very Vegas-like, but I'm not cruising to get the "Carnegie Hall" experience - I want to have fun. I found the food on the RCL and Carnival to be comparable; perhaps a bit better in the Carnival dining room; definitely better in the RCL "cafeteria". Customer service may be a bit better on RCL and definitely better on Holland America, Celebrity and some of the other lines, from what I've read. But the actual service on Carnival ships has been quite good. Bottom line, deciding which cruise line is "best" depends alot on what's important to you. Have a blast, whichever cruise line you sail on.

11. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

Carnival tries to reach everyone. Other cruise lines tend to deal with a little more discriminating taste, or a certain clientelle. Carnival also caters to a broader market and uses volume discounts, such as the gty program, where a person guarantees a certain category and most times wind up with an upgrade or two.

coffeecups

12. Kim1319

Kim1319 Guest

Ken,

I am not a travel agent and I know that Carnivals cabins are the largest. It simply states that on page 20 of the Carnival catalog/brochure. "Carnival staterooms are 50% larger than those of any other cruise line" And there's actually a picture to give you an idea. Which it really is like that too. The picture shown for "Other cruise lines" is set up exactly like the cabin I was in on RCCL... Very tiny compared to the Carnival cabins. Maybe it even shows it some where on the Carnival website, I'm not sure.

As for why CCL is much cheaper. I don't know but I have no complaints LOL its the Cruise Line I love the most so I'll take it cheaper any day! :grin

Happy Cruising!=whiteflag

(*)Kim(*)

07/30/95 - Fantasy
    12/19/97 - Ecstasy
    07/26/99 - Imagination
    04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
    04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
    03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph

Post Edited (07-20-04 23:31)

13. jester95008

jester95008 Guest

Carnival is cheap because they don't have a need to be expensive... Kinda like Southwest airlines of airplanes. they've got a ton of $$ in capital and always have basically.
    They are not cheap because they are a lower grade line though... If anything , they are the cheapest , and the best!

14. Dan40

Dan40 Guest

Jester was on the right track. CCL is not always the cheapest, but if push came to shove on price. Nobody could compete with CCl. Why? Because they are the only Co. that does not finance their new ships. They pay for them with CASH.
    If RCCL takes on a new ship for $500 million PLUS say 8% interest and CCL takes a new ship at $500 million cash. Thats $40,000,000.oo more out of RCCL profit
    That means that CCL could underprice RCCL by over $769.000.00 per week and still make exactly as much money as RCCL. on those new ships.

No debt to service is powerful in the price range of new ships