Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Why Should I Choose HAL?

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by Charles, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

First, I need to address this comment: "The last HAL cruise we took (Westerdam, Jan. '08) was after Carnival had full ownership of the line and you could tell it had been "Carnivalized" to some extent." Carnival Corporation acquired HAL in January 1989... far from recent. So, any perceptions of changes in the line are certainly not attributable to a change in ownership. Let's get beyond that, please.

OK, now for the real reason I'm responding:

The main difference is that HAL has an As You Wish Dining (AYWD) option whereas Celebrity hasn't gone this route (to the best of my knowledge--someone please correct me if that's not so.) Of course, traditional dining is still an option on HAL. I seldom go to the buffet, so I can't provide much of a comparison there, yet Celebrity does offer a less casual experience in the buffet for dinner for a modest charge. I found them to be comparable in most ways, yet this is subjective. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

2. Conniemc

Conniemc Guest

Lisa,

I don't think you understood the post. The "Carnivalization of the Industry" has become an adverb. Yes, we all know HAL was bought out back in 89, but that has little to do with recent changes to all Carnival owned lines. The lines were "left alone" for many years to preserve their individual personalities. What most people are saying, is those lines have become more and more blurred, which has now been coined "Carnivization".
    =twocents

Ryne, in my opinion, HAL now has the edge on dining. Celebrity's dining experienced has dropped a few notches over the last two years.

3. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Connie, I understood perfectly...and saw no evidence of such on my most recent HAL cruise, which was less than a year ago.

4. Conniemc

Conniemc Guest

Well that's great. I wish all the cruise lines had been left alone to maintain their previous standards. RCCL has done quite a "number" on X. Sad. I keep hoping one day when the economy improves, the post 9/11 fallout of the cruise industry will start to reverse itself. But I fear that's wishful thinking.
    :(

5. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

We enjoyed fourteen days on Maasdam in December and two wonderful weeks on Eurodam in March and rebut your 'Carnivalization' premise. The HAL crews were as gracious as always; the ship is beautifully decorated without the neon glitz evident on many Carnival Cruise Line ships, our dining experience was excellent and particularly so with the addition of Tamarind Restaurant. Outstanding by almost every measure. Our cabin was delightfully decorated and a new direction for HAL which we welcome. Our suite on Eurodam was wonderrfully decorated with current taste and comfort.

Carnval Corporation owns a vast number of ships and IMO what Carnival Cruise Line is and what Carnival Corporation is are very different entities.

HAL is still HAL as we have loved and enjoyed those ships for a great number of cruises. Of course the company has evolved. Certainly there are changes we have observed throughout our years of cruising HAL ships but to stagnate would be to risk extinction.

Please give us credit to understand the concept you put forth. It isn't that complex. ;)

6. nedstar

nedstar Guest

Very useful discussion, we book the Noordam for july 28 2009 and it's for us the first cruise with HAL.
    From all the reviews I read over internet about HAL far the most are very positive.
    I strongly belief what you sowing you will get back as harvest, in case of problems just stay calm and
    gentle and yes sometimes a little patience this way your problem will be solve in most cases.

7. We sailed on the Noordam for 20 days in February -- Caribbean -- she is a great ship!! You will love her.