Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Will be crusing for the first time...help!

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by valle455, Apr 24, 2005.

1. valle455

valle455 Guest

Hi all, this is my first post. Next year I have big plans for my 50th b'day and I've scheduled a 7 day trip cruise on the Mexican Rivera. Since we won't be leaving until September 2006, I still have time to make changes depending on what I hear/learn from this forum. My question is, I just noticed that we are booked on the Riviera Deck, 6A area. This deck is the last (bottom) of the ship. I'm not sure how I feel being on on the bottom deck. And, I think they have round port windows which I hear depending on the ocean's condition may sometimes splash water on the window. What is everyone's deck preference when on a ship? Am I getting too concern over nothing being at the bottom? Seems like the more popular decks would be above the main deck. Should I upgrade and go for an upper deck. I'm planning on taking my 3 boys, ages 20,16 and 14 as well as my wife and mother in law who will be 79 YO. I have so many questions so expect more coming your way. Thanks all! - - Will

2. jleq1

jleq1 Guest

Odds are that you'll have two windows. Not portholes. And it's doubtful the waves would reach up high enough to get the windows on the Riviera Deck soaked. Granted, it happens. Just nothing to be concerned about.

The lower the deck, the lower amound of side-to-side movement [the type that causes seasickness]. That's part of the reason your infirmary is usually is on one of the lowest decks,

Most of my cruises are on Riviera....or one deck above.

3. serene56

serene56 Guest

Are you booked into a guarantee or did you take a cabin assignment?
    Booking a guarantee cab give you any cabin that is oceanview or above...You could get an upgrade to a balcnoy by booking a guarantee. (especiallyin September-hurrican season) what ship are you looking at?

4. jkmcroot

jkmcroot Guest

We always like to be on the highest deck we can afford just so we are close to the pools. We also book inside cabins so we can afford to be higher up. I think it's all personal preference. All the cabins and services are the same no matter what deck you are on. The lower you go, however, the less movement there is so if you are prone to seasickness, then stick with the lower decks.

5. ZefH

ZefH Guest

You have six people. You are going to need 2-3 cabins. I was on the Pride in May 2004. I was in a cat 11 suite at the back with a wrap around balcony (220 sq ft). It was great. However, only two people can go in that cabin. You might find an inside cabin or two near by to put the other in, then let everyone hang out on your balcony (it can fit six easy). Or get two or three balcony cabins together and have the room steward open up the dividers between them. Then you will have a very large balcony. I would recommend the extended balconies over the normal sized ones. Then extended balconies allow you to sit facing the rail without having your knees right under your nose. Otherwise you sit at an angle.

On the other hand, the lower you are, the less you will feel the ship roll (side to side). It is not really a problem until you leave Cabo. From Cabo to LA the ship is running at full cruise speed and thus moves a bit more. I was on Empress deck and I get sea sick easily and I had no problem.

By the way, given the age of the people going, I think you would all be happier if you only put two per normal sized cabin (three each in a cat 11 or 12 should be no problem).

6. valle455

valle455 Guest

thanks all for your advice.. I just reserved last week so I think I have plenty of time to decide if I want to move up in decks. Being close to the pools sound great, but at the same time I don't want my wife to feel any ill effects from seasickness. Maybe I'll come up one deck, at least I'll have windows and not a port hole.

7. serene56

serene56 Guest

Only cabins with port holes were cat 5a on this ship.
    a 5a will feature 2 port hole windows in a cabin. IF you booked a 6a then you will not get those cabins. They are located forward of the ship.

8. Cruzman

Cruzman Guest

Those cat. 5A's are all far forward, and you will feel a lot of pitch (up and down motion) in that location. I'd go for a cat. 6A amidship if motion is a problem for you.

9. Mbandy

Mbandy Guest

6A is picture window not porthole. As for the deck, with an oceanview I prefer the lowest deck. I paid for an ocean view so put me as close to the ocean as possible. We had a cabin on deck 2 on Explorer of the Seas back in January. As the ship churned through the ocean the waves generated by the bow wake were spreading out just below our window. Very =coolsign