Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Will Carnival build smaller ships?

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by jester95008, Dec 23, 2004.

1. jester95008

jester95008 Guest

Ok so everytime I order a new brochure from carnival I get it in the mail and they have a new ship in it that's bigger then the last... I was wondering if they are ever going to go the other direction and start building more Celebration size ships again...

2. Cruzman

Cruzman Guest

Building larger ships seems to be an industry wide trend. It seems that the larger ships that hold many more passengers, are ultimately more profitable. For the foreseeable future, I don't see any of the mainstream cruise lines building anything less than 80,000 tons. And since there is an unannounced competition between RCCI and Carnival as to who has the biggest ship, look for Carnival (or one of it's brands) to build one larger than the Ultra Voyager after it is completed. Personally, I don't care for the mega ships.

3. jester95008

jester95008 Guest

cruzman ,

I just can't understand why though.. seems like when they get over 80tons then it becomes very unpersonable to a lot of people.. too many players on the football field... No pecking order ..

4. serene56

serene56 Guest

Did you see the specs for that ultra Voyager?? 4700 people onboard for any given siling? When you think about the problems these ships have getting off less then 3000 I can only imagine the headache it will be getting off with 1500 MORE...
    I agree with Cruzman- I dont see any more small ships being built.

5. jester95008

jester95008 Guest

oh well , maybe I'll just call carnival and book another cruise on the Jubilee then... ;)

6. Nanni-B.

Nanni-B. Guest

I am another who is not too excited for the larger ships, but I have never sailed on anything larger than Conquest. Is Carnival's next ship going to be larger than Conquest? I loved this ship, but my favorite ship so far has to Inspiration. We are going to give the Grand Princess (yes, it is huge too) a try, hoping to avoid a little of the crowded feeling. My best friend does think I am crazy, she adores the Voyager class of ship.

7. Cruzman

Cruzman Guest

Yes, yes, yes; let's form a group cruise on the Jubilee so we can get some great rates, LOL!

8. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

lovelyrita not so lovely.., you really need to calm yourself. As you say, "That is the only way they will turn a profit, otherwise they would keep the small ships. Which will be gone as soon as they can be replaced with new ones."

Your statement is unfounded and just by you saying these things means you did not do any research and don't have basic knowledge on cruise ships. If there was any hint of truth to your statement, Carnival would never have built the extremely popular Spirit Class ships. Knowing you do not have any idea what I'm talking about, they are Spirit, Pride, Legend and Miracle. The oldest "Spirit" ship is only three years old. They are NOT mega ships and they are NOT 110,000 thousand tonnes.

So please don't come to these boards with your arms swinging. It won't get you very far here at all.

9. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

well said ken , while i enjoy the bigger the better ( no smart reamrks please ken :) ) some people do like to small ship feel. to each his own , thats why theres vanilla AND chocolate, and carnival , and RCCL and princess..... pick what you like and leave everyone to pick what they like. :) NUff said

10. Al

Al Guest

There is no such thing as a "$%#$^ question" around C@. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for answers. If you're a devotee of smaller ships, Holland America (a Carnival subsidiary) operates many vessels in the 40-50k ton range. Granted, the atmosphere is a bit more sedated (actually, it's alot more sedated) and the passenger demographics are skewed toward the older cruisers. The ships themselves have been around for a while, and the amenities as we know them today are limited. I understand, though, that they're marketing cruises toward families these days, so it might be something to look into. I'm not a fan of HAL, but there may be something that would attract you. Read some reviews. Who knows ....

The remarks about the larger ships are correct. They're far more cost-effective; and the days of the Holiday and Celebration may well be numbered (although their primary purpose is to open new markets). Unless you'd like to sail short cruises from Mobile, AL or Jacksonville, FL these ships would not be an option (plus they're almost twenty years old).

Carnival knows what it's doing. Profits are up 43% over last year, which pretty much seals the fate of smaller ships in the fleet. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

11. Giles612

Giles612 Guest

Wow, you never know what will spark a debate on here. I do think it is an interesting discussion. I remember when I went on my first Cruise on the Paradise I was amazed at how big that ship was, and I was totally awe struck when I walked out on deck and saw the Voyager of the Seas. The enormity of the ships really amazed me, when we sailed into Nassau, we pulled next to, I think it was the Norwegian, a much smaller ship, and I remember thinking to myself, "Who got screwed on that deal?!?" Which now I think is funny, because you have to remember that the Paradise was my first experiance on a cruise ship and I had previously never thought about going on one, so I had no understanding of the whole experiance. As I have met other people who are avid cruisers I have learned about the differant styles of cruising available, and some of the things the differant ships offer, though while I am still young, I still have the mindset of, "Put me on the biggest ship you can get to float" I am looking forward to experiancing some of the differant iteneraries and options that the smaller more quaint ships offer, once I get over my, "bigger is better" mentality. :) Though I highly doubt that Carnival will head in a direction of smaller ships anytime soon, I do think that the cruise industry as a whole has a lot of awesome options available as I expand my total cruise experiance throughout my life. Anyway, just my two cents worth as I get ready to sail out on the behemoth Carnival Glory, my first 110K ship, and I can't wait to be completly overwhelmed and overjoyed at her size and amenities.

12. cruise-girl

cruise-girl Guest

This is an interesting thread....... the controversal post must have been pulled.

I have sailed a Fantasy Class ship a Spirit Class ship, and Conquest Class ship by Carnival and Voyager Class by RCCL. My personal experience is the level of service on the Fantasy and Spirit Class ships was much more personal than the Conquest and Voyager Class ships. It seems when you go over that 90,000 GT mark it becomes much less personal. I can understand that with 3,000 plus passengers and almost the same number of crew.

I have only been on CCL and RCCL so I have alot more to discover.......so many ships....so little time :lol

13. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

cruise-girl Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > This is an interesting thread....... the
    > controversial post must have been pulled.

It was definitely pulled. Her post I found was inflammatory and not necessary. I really had to set that straight.

I feel the same as you. Just for the curiosity though, I just might book a something on Freedom of the seas, or Carnival's new mega liner, but really. I think for Carnival, the Spirit ships are plenty big and there is a fine level of personal service, and for RCCL, the Vision class will suit me just fine.

14. cruise-girl

cruise-girl Guest

Ken 2001, I could never stay away from sailing a new ship but next time I go on the bigger ships I will know what to expect. The problem is, I would love to sail the older ships to but they keep coming out with new ships and I keep booking them. I would love to try the Vision Class on RCCL. HAL has a similar class as well. :wave

15. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Hey Dee!

I'd like to book the newer ships as well, not to contradict myself, but it's nice to sail on something new once in a while. But I know in my heart I"ll enjoy the "intermediate" vessels better. I tell you though, another big thing from stopping me is I'm not a big fan of flying especially after what happened this holiday season and how the airlines treated their loyal passengers. As a general rule I've found is that really ALL new ships go right down to florida. Lucky bastards. :lol and seemingly all these brand new ones are behemoths.

Here in NY, some of the HAL ships live here for the summer, and Carnival Legend lives here during the summer as well. Both are, I believe in the 80K ton range. big enough. This past October I sailed Carnival Legend for the second time, (not by accident :grin She was booked solid. 2300 pax. I saw crowds only during chow time, and the bars were quite packed, but Debbie and I don't drink except on new years maybe.

We sailed on Voyager of the seas, @ 142,000 tonnes. I don't think I'm going to do that again. My experience was overall a very pleasant one, but it's too big.

16. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

I've was just on the Mariner of the Seas last month (142,000 tons) and I have also sailed the old HAL Noordam (34,000 tons) and many in between, including RCCL's Viking Serenade (40,000), Premier's Oceanic (40,000) two of Carnival's Fantasy class (70,000), RCCI's Monarch of the Seas (77,000), and Radiance of the Seas (88,000) and Carnival's Triumph (101,000). So, I've pretty much run the gamut as far as size goes. I can honestly say that each ship had something to offer and had her own special charm.

I loved the Mariner of the Seas and all of her amenities, but she did feel crowded at times. I also loved the class and elegance of the Noordam, with her lovely artwork and sculptures. The Oceanic is still my favorite cruise, 'cause it's the first one my mom and I went on together, but the public rooms on the Triumph were fun and colorful. I felt the crew on the Monarch was so amazing, I'm booked on her again.

We had wonderful service on the Mariner, despite her size and the fact that she was completely full. On the Noordam, we thought the service was a little lacking, even though she was much smaller and had fewer passengers.

So....the size matters not to me! :) I love them all. :)

17. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Hi Jenni!!

now THAT was an interesing read! Jeez, when I grow up I wanna go on as many cruises as you! :lol

18. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Will you ever REALLY grow up, Ken? :lol

19. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

:spank LOLOL!! well, yea. but then things get real repetative and really boring. :grin

20. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

I hear ya, friend! :) Whatever it takes to love the life you're living, right?