Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Will sinking of Costa Concordia affect your cruise booking??

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by George C, Jan 14, 2012.

1. George C

George C Well-Known Member

Will sinking of Costa Concordia affect your cruise booking?? I am sure it willl effect Carival stock. I worry about the training on all these ships, we see some problems with service in MDR wonder if it also effects the people in charge of safety?? We will continue to cruise , this show we need to do life boat drills. Costa is one of our favorite lines.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

It will not affect my cruising.... Drills are important

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

No, it won't change our cruising. I do believe in the drills, for the passengers, and for the crew and staff. This is an unfortunate accident, which unfortunately happened.

4. bob

bob Chief Engineer Staff Member

Only on Costa.................. :whistle:

They have a history of negligence and accidents, so it's a sure thing this isn't in their best interest.

5. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

To answer you question directly - no. But what has service in the MDR got to do with safety? A slow waiter has nothing to do with the quality of safety training.

If you want to ask questions, ask why a modern ship hit a sandbar. After that happened, the ship just doesn't fall over. Why were their any deaths at all? Finally, have you seen where the ship is? You could throw rocks and hit it from land. While no one wants to be on a sinking ship, if it is going to sink, it sure is nice to be so close to land.

I expect that there are going to be a lot of questions ask about the quality of the harbor pilot, the captain and the design of the ship. Simply put, this should never have happened, and when it did, the results should have been a lot better.

A while back a Greek ship sank fairly close to shore. The ship's officers abandoned their posts - and still 100% of the people were saved.

Okay - why doesn't this site like the percentage symbol? That last line should read, "and still 100 percent of the people were saved."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. BSeabob

BSeabob Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change Staff Member

2nd time in recent yrs a Costa Ship has run aground.... I agree with the other bOB and for maybe only the 2nd time with Cruizer :whistle:

The info that I find most interesting so far is the "LifeBoat drill" was not planned until the next day..so it had not been held. Not that I have a lot of faith in how 3000 pax and 1000 crew & especially the Officers would have acted any differently. A wake up call for a lot of people I expect in the Centennial Anniversary Year of the Titanic sinking. Mind you the fact that it was so close to shore, other than likely causing the accident likely saved many people also. So I'm sure many lessons will be learned....again.

7. GregR

GregR Well-Known Member

They weren't going to this port, just passing by...way too close. Maybe the Captain went to dinner too early?

%

8. gottagoacruzn

gottagoacruzn Well-Known Member

Some folks laugh when the drills are taking place, but when the ship is at sea and something is wrong on board, where ya gonna run to? Was on the Song of America in 88 when the ship caught fire, 3d night at sea. I'm still gonna cruise.

Virginia

9. 1948buddy

1948buddy Active Member

It will not change our plans....This really appears to be captain negligence....No excuse for passing by an island this close.....

10. audrey

audrey Well-Known Member

for what I have heard the drill did not help the cruisers they still got up set they were so close to shore I would have just gotten to where my life boat was.

11. Funnel

Funnel Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor

It will not affect my cruise bookings, just like a flight accident does not affect my flight bookings. I'm still out there driving my car and I think it is much more dangerous to be out in the traffic than being onboard a cruise ship.

I guess that is why most people were saved even if they jumped into the sea. It was maybe a problem for them to see land as it was dark in the middle of the night.

Do you mean Sea Diamond in 2007?
    [​IMG]

There are two people (of about 1550 in total) missing after that accident.

/Erik

12. JacquieP

JacquieP Well-Known Member

No, it won't affect my cruise bookings. If it's my time to go, it's my time to go, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I'm not going to be stupid, but most cruise passengers are saved, even in the worst of conditions.

13. Christoffer

Christoffer The Euro Connection Special Contributor

Will book and cruise just like before.
    If something will go wrong on the cruise you are on, it does.
    If you start to fear everything, you can stay home, right.

14. Cruizer

They may have tried to pass by, but its seems they are going to stay awhile.

Also, look what happened to your percent symbol in the quote.

15. Cruizer

No, I am referring to the Oceanos which sank off the African coast ...

MTS Oceanos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a video ... LiveLeak.com - Greek ship sinks off the coast of South Africa

Another article ... What happened to Yiannis Avranas, the captain of the sunken Oceanos cruise liner? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

16. J.E. M.

J.E. M. Well-Known Member

Stuff happens, will not affect my cruise booking, except for Costa.

17. TexasSue

TexasSue Well-Known Member

Anyone remember wasn't it Carnival Splender that lost all power and had to be towed back to California - she is a sister ship to the Costa ship as she was originally going to Costa and then changed to Carnival. Since they are now taking about a power outage makes one wonder. Just a thought and no it won't make me change my cruising habits any at all.

Susan

18. Wingman54

Wingman54 Active Member

Nope... no change to my plans... still going on our Thanksgiving cruise on the Grand Princess!! This'll be our eighth.

19. beckyw

beckyw Well-Known Member

Not me. I am getting ready to book a cruise for this fall with my sisters. On Carnival.

20. Kruzr41

Kruzr41 Active Member

About the lifeboat drill not happening. Since this accident happened on a weekend, I'm assuming that the cruise had just started. And I understand the the 'Pumpkin Parade" must happen withing 24 hours of sailing. OR that is the USCG rule but the USCG has no power in the Med.

Will this affect my cruising? Perhaps it will lower prices and I'll cruise more than normal????

Many questions to be asked and answered. Was the Captain actually at the con or was a lower officer in charge? So close to shore, was there a Pilot on board? What happened with the watertight doors? Water comes in, they are supposed to close on their own. Did they? What about the Sonar and depth finder? Even little boats have those. Nobody watching the screens? The Cap said in an interview that the rocks were not on the charts? Were they, or was he not where he thought he was? Probably a few years worth of questions to be answered.

Carnival stock will probably take a hit, and profits.