Windjammer Menu on Formal Night

S

steph428

I am curious as to what the menu in the Windjammer is on Formal night if one were to choose to dine there instead?

G

Godawg

We were on Rhapsody of the seas in April, the food in the windjammer was a chinese buffet on formal night. It was very good. Some people said it looked better than what they had at the formal seating.

S

steph428

Thanks. My husband informed me he does not want to dress formal on his vacation (that's fine) but I didn't want to miss out on something yummy because of it.

Steph

C

cfurry

Steph,

First, you look a LOT like Dawn Wells. Just thought I'd mention it. It's uncanny, really.

Second, and I'm girding myself for the arrows that will undoubtedly fly in response to my post, your husband is under no obligation to dress formally on formal nights. So long as he wears slacks and a sports jacket with a nice shirt, he'll be just fine. Now, my family and I dress up because we enjoy it...the girls wear gowns and I wear a dark suit. But that's our choice. It doesn't have to be yours.

So long as he doesn't show up in shorts and a polo, which would indeed be underdressed for that evening, he should feel perfectly in place. It's called formal night, true, and a few men wear tuxedos, but I'd say most men wear suits or slacks and a jacket, and they look great.

Formal night in the dining room is fun -- admit it, it's way different to be served lobster by attentive waiters than to haul it off of a buffet line -- and you're already paying for it, so why not enjoy it? Please don't assume you won't be welcome just because your husband eschews the clip-on bow tie and plastic shoes that come with rental tuxes.

Enjoy!

S

steph428

Thanks for the info--I wish I really did look like Dawn Wells..that actually is a picture of her (Mary Ann) which I am sure you knew...but you never know, I don't like to assume.

Anyhoo--I am going to pack a tie and jacket for my hubby as he may change his mind at the last minute. And I know that he wouldn't feel uncomfortable if he wasn't fully decked out, I would be the one feeling out of place. But since I have an eternity until we go, I can anguish over it day and night until then. (smile)

Have a great weekend!
Steph

S

sailingrose

The evening's menu in the Windjammer is usually posted. If not ask one of the servers or head waiters and I'm sure they could tell you what dinner would be that night.

C

cfurry

Steph,

Yeah, I knew it was an old pic of Dawn Wells. Cute touch. Frankly, I was stunned that I recalled her name.

If you're the one worrying about whether your husband will be out of place, Steph, please don't. A jacket and a tie are more than fine. Just have a great time and enjoy it!

C

cruise pup

I'd avoid Windjammer. When I checked it out at dinner one night and sampled the food it was very disappointing. Only the pasta made to order was good but that wasn't offered every night. Worst of all, the food is not kept hot, I guess to avoid it drying out in the chafing dishes.

I have to laugh about the concern for not being formal. When I was on Carnival Victory last summer I watched the video diary they made of the cruise and they showed people in t-shirts on formal night shaking hands with the Captain.

U

usher

I agree with the Windjammer comment. Seems that the food is just about the same each day and is not really kept hot or maintained very well. They ran out of simple items 3 days in a row - Sweet & low, low-fat milk, Green tea.

If you want something cooked special - omlettes, pasta, etc. there is usually a long wait in line so get in line first and then get the rest of your meal.

Just got off the Grandeur yesterday.

S

Searcher

You wont get Lobster at the Windjammer but if you eat there every night, make friends with the crew up there you will be treated very well.

We have eaten dinner at the Windjammer over 250 times now and as with your hubby, we have no desire to dress up for a dinner that I have to hurry through and eat.

Best part of the W J is they wont toss you out. We have spent two to three hours, just talking with newly met friends. On one trip, on the Enchantment, we ate lunch with Seymore et al, talked right through 'til they served tea and finally left at about 5 PM.

They got ready for formal night and Sherri and I took a short nap and went back up at 7:30 where they had our table all ready for us. That is one of the perks in getting friendly with the officers in the WJ.

Whatever you decide will work out fine, have fun and happy sailings.

R

rocster

This what I am considering for the first time ever, just taking a jacket along for formal nights, and leave the Tux at home. (less to pack) Since the cruise lines are changing so much and charging for things that used to be included and raising prices on everything else, I figured, this is my vacation and I will play it by my rules. (so long as I don't bother anyone else).
I think the cruise line are forcing these changes (for obvious economic reasons) to what used to be a classy traditional affair to just another vacation trip with a different destination in mind. Doesn't bother me at all. If I want the old traditions, I'll just go to one of the few traditional lines that are left.