Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

With the rising cost of fuel, is it possible

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by Clerky96, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Clerky96

Clerky96 Guest

that a cruise line will raise the cost of your upcoming cruise, even if it is already paid in full. I don't think they could do this, but hubby thinks they might be able to. ????

2. Ali

Ali Guest

If your cruise is paid in full, they can't raise your fare. If it was under deposit, they could, I had that happen a few times when port taxes jumped before I had the final paid.

Have a great cruise. :)

3. Frank Black

Frank Black Guest

I believe that the cruise lines have the ability and right under their terms and conditions to add a fuel surcharge any time. Good PR will prevent them from doing it to paid passengers.

4. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

I took out an old Cruise Ticket Contract from Celebrity (when they were under RCI) and, boy, one needs a panel of lawyers to decipher that thing. =confuse I did not see where they could add a fuel surcharge after full payment was received. It is common knowledge they reserve the right to raise prices if you have not paid in full, although that is a bad business practice and seldom done.

Apparently, Crystal is adding a $4 per person per day surcharge for those who have not paid in full. Radisson appparently implemented a fee of $2.85 per person per day back in February. Here are some articles:

USA Today:
    http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-07-28-fuel-surcharges_x.htm

From an Akron OH newspaper:
    http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/living/travel/12319052.htm

My guess is that Carnival Corp and RCI probably have good contracts with their oil supplier but eventually they may feel the pinch as analysts believe oil will be $70 a barrel sometime next week or so. =eek

It will be interesting to see how this affects the industry and how consumers react.

5. Clerky96

Clerky96 Guest

Thank goodness my group is all paid in full! Sounds like they are unlikely to add a surcharge to us. But then again, who really knows!?

6. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

Clerky96 Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Thank goodness my group is all paid in full!
    > Sounds like they are unlikely to add a surcharge
    > to us. But then again, who really knows!?

The cruise line does!

7. I am not sure 100% about this, but I had always been told once you make a deposit your price was locked in. There was no chance it would go higher, but if the price dropped you could get the cheaper price. That actually happened to us on our first cruise. The price dropped from when we booked and we got the lower price.

8. Robkabob

Robkabob Guest

While that is the normal practice that one secures their price with the deposit, it does not legally guarantee the cruise line to honor it. The contract is written to always benefit the cruise line, as evidenced by Crystal and Radisson adding fuel surcharges to reservations not paid in full. It really depends on the consumer's tolerance for these types of business practices.

With regard to the price dropping, one has to keep an eye on this and point it out to their agent or to the cruise line. If the agent handles it, you may be able to get the lower price and a refund. If through the cruiseline, typically it is an onboard credit. It has also been my experience that some agents don't do this with a smile on their face, either. LOL.

Right now the industry is in a better position capacity wise than it was a few years ago, when supply exceeded demand. With less ships on order, it appears the lines are controlling their growth to more realistic goals.

Thank you for reading the Nightly Business Report. :)