XCaret shore excursion..Camelia help in Re:

M

mlzangel78

Does anyone know how much the 7 hour excursion to XCARET is through Carnival.??.. if there is not much price difference i dont mind booking thru ship, as opposed to booking on my own...

Post Edited (05-12-04 11:24)

M

mlzangel78

Re: XCaret shore excursion

Got the answer to my own question.. called carnival.. it is 89.00 per person... i found it i book it on my own it would be 67.50 to get in .. plus 20.00 in RT ferry transfers, so I think Ill spend the extra 2 dollars to book on the ship.

C

Camelia

We did it through the ship - it was nice to have everything organized since getting there requires the ferry ride (choppy water, 45 minutes, got very seasick) and then a cab ride. The problem - NOT ENOUGH TIME AT XCARET. They say 7 hour excursion, but we only had 3 1/2 hour at the park, which is very nice and big. There is so much to do, that 3 1/2 hours is nothing. That's the kind of place you need to spend all day. The rest of the time was gone, I guess spend traveling. We didn't get to see the whole park, and had to run back to meet our guide. Also Playa del Carmen is a neat little town with stores, and I would have liked to spend time there; but the tour guide didn't give us a second. Very rushed. In hindsight I wish I had gone there on my own.

M

mlzangel78

Camelia-

Why only 3 1/2 hours,, do you have the option to go back on the ferry at any time??? i can see 2 out of the 7 spent on the ferry ride... but that leaves 5 hours.. do you have to do the tour or can you just meet them back at the designated time to leave the park??

we are docked in cozumel from 7am till midnight... dont know how long your trip was but im thinking even if the excursion starts at 10am we will be back in cozumel by 5;30 still plenty of time to take a cab downtown to Carlos and charlies...

Post Edited (05-12-04 11:38)

C

Camelia

It's not just the ferry ride that takes time; it is also getting everybody on the ferry, getting everybody off, there is walk to the bus stand, we also stopped because some people had to use the restroom, get everybody on the bus; bus ride was about 15 minutes, everybody off the bus, walk to the park, and then the tour guide gave a talk about the park. Then we were on our own, but had to meet again at 2:30. We should have met at 4 pm. We did the whole underwater river swim in the park, which was about 45 minutes. After that we walked to the lagoon area, played a little bit in the water, toured the aquarium and turtle pools, and all of a sudden it was 2:15, time to head on back. The park is big, with lots of trails and animals. We, especially my 7-yr old son, were just not ready to leave.
Have you been to Chankanaab Park in Cozumel?

M

mlzangel78

yes,,, and i dont want to return there i didnt care for it all that much... if i were to book it on my own,,, how quick can you get on the ferry and is there transportation to the park from the ferry pier in PDC

C

Camelia

There is some other post on the ferry schedule a couple of threads below this one, somebody replied that it runs every hour. I can't confirm that. After that, I imagine you can take a cab from Playa Del Carmen to the park, and maybe arrange for the cab driver to meet you back there at a time certain. I wanted to do it on my own, but whimped out last minute since I wasn't sure how to get there. I remember posting the question how to get there on my own before I left, but nobody replied.

Curious why you didn't care for Chankanaab? I would hate for you to spend all that time and money to get to Xcaret, and then don't like it either.

M

mlzangel78

we did the dolphin thing in cozumel...chakanaab,, was atbest in my opinion okay.. felt like i was not really in mexico.. it didnt feel like i was vacationing in the caribbean at all.. i just want to spend the day relaxing on a breath taking beach.

N

nglenden

There are Taxis outside of every tourist venue in PDC area and the prices are set by the government no haggling no getting ripped off. The park is as is the other eco park by Tulum. We did it by Taxi and came and went as we wanted. Very easy to get around there. Taxis located as soon as you exit the pier get in line and they load you and move you.

Triumph 12/11/2004 1st cruise

D

diverdiver

The ferry is on a schedule, and does not run late at night. You have to figure in the time for the 45-minute (CHOPPY!!) ferry ride (each way), the 30-minute drive to Xcaret (each way), and the number of cruise ships docked at Cozumel that day - could be up to 6 or 7, with thousands of passengers each. Xcaret is HUGE, and there's no way you can see the whole park, even if you were there for 4-5 hours. BTW - the other eco-park closer to Tulum is Xel-Ha....equally beautiful, but not as huge. BTW part II - I think Chankanaab is wonderful, and it's right on Cozumel. No barfy ferry needed.