Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

***YET ANOTHER UPDATE***PERSONAL 2-WAY RADIOS, Can anyone tell me if they work on a ship?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by tjmyman, May 4, 2004.

1. tjmyman

tjmyman Guest

:newbie
    Just wondering if you can use 2-way radios on the cruise to keep track of each other. I have no clue if they work through the boat. I am thinking of getting a set through radio Shack but not sure they work well with all the walls of steel on a boat. THANK you for any info you may be able to provide us with

<font color=blue>Well what a mistake I made. lol I did get a pair of Motarola 2 ways and they super suck. I can't emagine they will work with all the walls on a ship. We used them in our neighborhood and it was BIG TIME BAD.. So I will return them for a refund and just do it the old fashion way I guess. Thank you for all your feedback
    :grin

<font color=black>I finally have my mind made up. All this feedback has been helpful. I called the Motorola support line and spoke to a tech and I feel better now. What I purchased is as good as it gets. I was explained that the reason it does not work well in the neighborhood if because of the houses and trees and so forth. he explained that on a cruise ship it will work much better. Lot's of open spaces and much less interference. He said the T5720 was going to be perfect and the T5620's only have a couple extra features. Like hand's free talking (VOX) and the weather station. So we going to keep what we got and hope for the best. Thank you all for your feedback. people helping people is a wonderful thing
    :grin

Post Edited (05-11-04 16:30)

2. ssatterly

ssatterly Guest

Re: PERSONAL 2-WAY RADIOS, Can anyone tell me if they work on a ship?

Yes they do and they are great to have

3. tjmyman

tjmyman Guest

at $49.00 a set I do think I will order me a pair now . Grandkids can always use them when we're done
    :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance

4. ssatterly

ssatterly Guest

very true......

5. Natalia

Natalia Guest

I havent tried them yet, but I've read that you need to "spend a few bucks more" and get a good set so that they will work well with all that steel.

6. sevets

sevets Guest

the cheaper sets all seem to use the same frequency also ,so you may end up listening too and talking to others on the ship. buy a set where the frequency is adjustable good luck and happy cruising

7. Nat

Nat Guest

We sailed on the Carnival Victory with 4 other couples so the personal 2 way radios were great to have. They worked everywhere on the ship and we were able to keep track of where everyone was. My husband stayed on the ship in St. Thomas and I took the tram about two blocks from the port to the top of the mountain. We were able to communicate clearly from that distance. Mine were $59.00 from Wal-Mart with rechargeable batteries. Go for it you won't be sorry.

8. cfurry

cfurry Guest

Definitely don't go the cheap route. We got some at Frys for $15 or so and we were lucky to be able to communicate even one deck away, let alone across the entire ship. I don't even think we'll be bringing ours again this year, unless we purchase a more powerful set.

9. Ashley

Ashley Guest

We could hear our conversations and a million other conversations from other passengers on our radios. If there are a lot of people doing the same thing, there might be interference! Good luck! They are useful!

10. kimmy

kimmy Guest

I know these are great for keeping track of kids and such but PLEASE be aware that it can be really annoying to other passengers. There were so many folks using them on my last AOS sailing that it was disruptive, just like people that are constantly are their cell phones in restaurants, stores, etc.

11. tjmyman

tjmyman Guest

Kimmy

I can se your point and it is so true. For wife and I it is more of a nessity. There are times I have to rest due to the fact I am in a wheelchair. And she on the other hand it a stay busy person. So this will help us to keep track of each other. Thanks for bringing up that point :grin

Post Edited (05-05-04 10:21)

12. samij427

samij427 Guest

they do work on the ship. but please dont take them in to dinner. we had a table next to us of 8 that felt they had to scream at there kids on it the whole dinner every dinner.

13. sam85

sam85 Guest

I don't know if they are worth it. We could barely use ours across two floors. I did have some fun crossing connections but that's beside the point. If you do decide to purchase some, don't let price sway you. Invest in some good ones. Or if you don't want to bother, then do it the old fashioned way and make plans to meet somewhere with your group/companion.

sam85

14. tjmyman

tjmyman Guest

Re: ***UPDATE***PERSONAL 2-WAY RADIOS, Can anyone tell me if they work on a ship?

if someone has a brand that they know works on a ship please let me know and I will order them and see how they work here in my neighborhood. Thanks

=peace

15. sam85

sam85 Guest

Re: ***UPDATE***PERSONAL 2-WAY RADIOS, Can anyone tell me if they work on a ship?

I hear motorola or cobra. Hope it works!

sam85

16. GloBug

GloBug Guest

We have 3 family radios that we used before the teen had a cell phone, when we would go to street fairs, theme parks, etc. We haven't used them for years, but they will sure be going with us on the cruise! We have Motorola Talkabouts and they have given us really good service!

17. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

tjmyman.. I was on the Granduer and used my 2-ways with absolutely no problem.

I have a set of Motorola Talkabout T5620's. They have 22 Primary Channels and 38 sub channels (which means you can really find a primary/sub combination where others won't be using too). These have a lock feature which will prevent the 2-way from scanning through picking up other used channels. I didn't hear anyone using the channels we chose after locking. It has a few different rings. But.. we find using Vibrate worked just as well and avoided the annoyance of others with the rings. Besides, they almost all sound alike on the ring you sometimes don't know who's is ringing.

I forget what the distance is on this model. I had no problems from deck 10 down to deck 2.

Hope this helps.

18. Natalia

Natalia Guest

TJ.... return them, try a different set.

19. tjmyman

tjmyman Guest

I got the T5720's and I am going to return them. I will look for the ones that are tryed and true. I was a little in a hurry as I always am LOL so this time i will go to ebay and look for the 5620's. You feed back is HELPFUL

:newbie

20. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Anyone know roughly the price of those 5620's?? Im going to look into getting a set too (gonna check ebay first, also). We have some 2-way radios but they are old now and Ive never tried them on a cruise ship, probably wouldnt work very well.