• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Yma Sumac died

R

red stripe

.. a few days ago.

She was from Peru, and had the most amazing range in the world.
she had a range of 5 octaves. And the highest notes were as clear as bells..

I remember listening to her records many times when I was growing up. MY favorite.. even as a very small child.. was one called (in English) Legend of the Sun Virgin . As I think that one recording was one in that she used the full range of her voice.

That record would make shivers go up and down my spine :lol I read the news in our paper, so a moment ago I did a search.. and found a couple of places that played her music. Plus they still sell her music.

Do any of you know of her?

B

bOB

Listened to her a lot as a kid, and even then was amazed and enjoyed the ability of her voice.

S

ShipMaven

I loved listening to her, too. The range and clarity of her voice were incredible.

And yet another legend has left us.

R

red stripe

Thanks to all of you for the links..
Mary Ann, when I posted this I figured that if anyone knew about her it would be you.. Bob was a surprise.... But he is a man of discerning tastes..
trying to suck up after pulling his leg yesterday.. :lol

R

red stripe

K K.... I did a search for the announcement, and found this site. it has a guest book, photos, and even her music.

http://www.yma-sumac.com/news.htm

if you check out the music link, scroll down to the bottom and "Taita Inty"
and listen to those notes.. it always makes the hair stand up on my arms :grin

T

tourlink99

Actually, Her real name was Amy Camus, A nice girl from Brooklyn! Yma Sumac was her name spelled backwards.
Mark

K

korinalacount

Yeah voice teacher used to make me listen to her,I used to have a 4 octave range till asthma,no longer,still got the voice just not the range and strength