Zuiderdam Cabin Internet

L

LUV2Cruz2

I was reading about the Zuid. and on the HAL site it says that there is a dial-up internet connection in the cabins. Does anyone know about this, how it works and how much it costs?

I'm wondering if it dials into the internet cafe and uses satellite from there, if it's just as fast, faster, or worth it. The connection speed at the cafe sucks big time. You get on fast, and then it drags and you pay for each and every "dragging second".

F

Frank Black

Read my new Oosterdam review for prices. If like the Oosterdam, the ship is networked in cabins and wireless in public areas. You can even rent a laptop or wifi card too.

L

LUV2Cruz2

Will do, thanks. I was wondering because on the HAL site, it said there was "dial-up" in the cabins...which confuses me a little. I'd love the networking though. I'll read your review...I imagine the prices are the same as ever. I think it was a hundred bucks for a block of a couple or few hours.

F

Frank Black

250 minutes for $100 was their best rate. Towards the end of the cruise they offered a few specials with lower minutes and lower rates. Laptop rentals were $20 and insurance was $10. I never asked if this was a daily or weekly rate. Larger laptops will not fit in the safe on the Oosterdam. But they had locking, keyed drawers that would hold one.

L

LUV2Cruz2

Thanks Frank,
Could you clarify just one more thing please. On the HAL site, they say that what is in the cabin is a "dial up" connection. Are they serious about this, or do they mean that it's networked through an ethernet cord to the main internet cafe? When I set it up in my room, do I set it to "high-speed-Internet connection" or do I have to dial a number to get connected?

I'm not worried about locking up my laptop in my cabin...I think it will be safe. I've never had a problem in all the years I've kept my laptop in my cabin.

For those that take their laptops on the cruises though, for those that don't know....you can get computer insurance through "SAFEWARE" Computer insurance company. They have 2 types of policies...the less expensive one is for domestic...and doesn't cover you on ships or in other countries if you anything, including theft occurs, but their international policy has really good coverage for anywhere in the world. I've had this insurance for years and I highly recommend it. It covers you for everything except normal wear and tear.

F

Frank Black

The cabins have an ethernet connection. I have seen it. And what appears to be a phone line connection next to it as well. Just bring a long ethernet cable and plug it in. I assume you have one on your laptop, and this just connects to a server on the ship. They charge $3.95 as a one time setup fee. You probably just go to the Internet Center the first day and have them set you up. I think the term "dial up" is a misnomer these days. But, since there is that other phone jack, maybe they can accomodate people with older dial up modems too. If you have a 802.11b wireless card, you can also connect to their Wireless Internet system. They will rent you a wireless card too. I saw rates of something like $3.95 a day too.

I you want to use the laptop throughout the ship, (most public rooms) I can send you a paper they put out on how it works.

L

LUV2Cruz2

Thanks,
I'll take my ethernet cable, and my wireless card just in case. I'll most likely use it in my cabin if I can. I'd like for you to send me the paper if you will. Thanks alot.
Megandie@aol.com

D

DonBoston

On the Zuiderdam last week. Unless you buy a "Package" it was $.75 cents per minute. To expensive for my blood. I checked my email and news at the different ports on land. I 30 minute visit cost about $4.00.