Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Zuiderdam--Just Back

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by CruiseDiva, Dec 11, 2002.

1. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

It was a GREAT three-night "preview" cruise on Holland America's first VISTA class ship and I'm assembling my notes and the literature I brought home to write it up. If anyone has questions in the meantime, don't hesitate to ask. I should have some photos and my preliminary info ready by tomorrow night.

PS--I got to meet Ship Maven this morning for coffee!!! Finally, we met after all these years but it was all too brief as she had to get ready to board the ship and we were running late for our eight-hour drive home. Those few minutes were some of the best of the trip, though :)

2. hstrybuf

hstrybuf Guest

Welcome home Linda! Can't wait to hear what you thought of this new class of ship!

3. PEB

PEB Guest

Welcome back!

4. red stripe

red stripe Guest

welcome back Linda, I can't wait to hear what you thought about the new class of ship.

5. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

I yield the rest of my time to the Lady from Mass. Sail 7, who will know the right things to ask.

6. Welcome back

7. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

John....ROFL...What a fine gent you are :) Seems everyone knows I'm jumping out of my skin to hear all about ZU....I'm so sorry we decided to book her for April and didn't take a chance on the Christmas cruise. Double darn....we were afraid the plumbing wouldn't work!

Welcome back, Diva....Tell all; What about all that red? Is it too much? Is that Wateford SeaLion as beautiful as it seems in the pics?

My dressing table....in the "S"....they really did deep six it, didn't they? :( So, where do we do hair and put on our faces now? What is the dressing room area like now?

How's the food? What did you think of the new Lido style layout? Does it work better than the single lines on the other ships? Do you happen to know who Maitre d' is? Was Captain Jack van Corvedan aboard?

How could they block the sea view of "S" suites with the lifeboats sticking out????

So happy you and Maven got to meet. That is so terrific....I look forward to someday being lucky enough to be at the same place at the same time and being able to meet her.

I'm sorry I have so many ??????, but actually consider only half were mine....Remember, John gave me his allotment :) !!!!

Welcome back.

8. gambler

gambler Guest

Welcome back !!!!!!!

9. Einstein

Einstein Guest

welcome Home Cruise Diva. Now get those clothes laundered and packed for the Dawn and NO U were not forgotten on the BV list. :dance :dance :dance

10. Lill

Lill Guest

Welcome back!! You sure have been busy, I just finished reading your cruise diary today from your last cruise. Looking forwards to reading your thoughts on the Zuiderdam.

11. Sandy

Sandy Guest

Welcome back! :wave Look forward to hearing about the Zuiderdam!

12. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

Hi S7S,

Let's see how I did with these...

"Welcome back, Diva....Tell all; What about all that red? Is it too much? Is that Wateford SeaLion as beautiful as it seems in the pics?"

--Nope, the red isn't too much. The show lounge has a plush red seats but the rest of the room is muted so it isn't overpowering. The dining room seat backs are a printed leather and that really tones it down and adds interest. The Waterford sea lion is exquisite! Wait until you see the etched glass elevator doors and the Odyssey restaurant decor--details to die for!

"My dressing table....in the "S"....they really did deep six it, didn't they? So, where do we do hair and put on our faces now? What is the dressing room area like now?"

--The "S" stateroom on display was 6093 and I loved it! There IS a "dressing room"--it's between the bathroom and main part of the suite. Very bright, with mirrored closet doors across from the vanity area. I'll have a picture later when they are developed. Doing hair and make-up in lesser categories will be a problem... unless you bring a travel size lighted make-up mirror, you HAVE to use the bathroom. The desk lighting is poor and mirror tint is pretty dark (that would be standards and most verandah staterooms).

"How's the food? What did you think of the new Lido style layout? Does it work better than the single lines on the other ships? Do you happen to know who Maitre d' is? Was Captain Jack van Corvedan aboard?"

--Food was great. The new Lido layout is very efficient and the flow wasn't halted by long lines. Maitre d' was Tri Wiyono and Capt van Coevorden was at the helm.

"How could they block the sea view of "S" suites with the lifeboats sticking out????"

--I didn't have too much time to notice, but it didn't appear to be a problem in the one I saw.

"So happy you and Maven got to meet. That is so terrific....I look forward to someday being lucky enough to be at the same place at the same time and being able to meet her."

--Not only did I get to meet Maven, but also got to sail with another long-time friend from Prodigy. What a joy it is to meet online friends in person!!!

We also sailed with the ship's architect and were privileged that he took us on a tour of the ship, answered questions, and explained the thinking that went into many of the details. (I mentioned that make-up and hair problem with the low lighting and tinted mirror ;) )

13. SueClark

SueClark Guest

Welcome back Linda - Sail7 has been asking all my questions, but I am still unsure if the nice dressing table is still there in the dressing room of the "S" suite and was the suite or balcony noticably smaller than on prior ships?

Sue

14. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

Hi Sue,

We were in and out of there so quickly that I didn't get the chance to take notes. (There were VIPs waiting to settle in.) However, we did take pictures and I'll have them later to share. I'm not sure if the mirrored dressing area is exactly what you mean, but it was very bright and the perfect make-up spot. The balconies appeared larger to me and have really nice wicker-look furnishings.

Linda

15. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Thanks so much, Linda. You are such a good sport to deal with all my questions. I appreciate it.

Mr. Dingemans (I assume that is the architect you are referring to) is SUCH an interesting man. He always sits at the same table upper level in the dining room; we always sit at the same table also....and those two tables are beside each other. We have enjoyed very pleasant conversations during two or three cruises when he was aboard with his family and he was so surprised to see us back in the same seats!! He kidded that he doubted we ever went home. We told him with his beautifully designed ships....why would we leave??

Tri is FABULOUS....what a great guy!!! So able. And we always enjoy the chance to sail with Captain Jack. I wonder if he is also taking out Oosterdam. Probably. We had a wonderful dinner with him last November on Zaandam before he left for Venice and Zuiderdam.

I'm really eager to see your photos when you have the time.

ZU sounds like a very beautiful ship and we are very eager for April to come and we can see her for ourselves. We must have had alot of confidence we'd like her as we already have four cruises booked on ZU...two sets of back-to-backs.

Thanks again, Linda

16. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

Yes, S7S, the architect is Frans Dingemans and his beautiful wife was with him. We switched dining tables each night that were hosted by HAL reps and it was a delight.

Wow! TWO back-to-backs!!! I think you'll be able to discover all the nooks and crannies and surprising touches by then--we barely scratched the surface in three nights. My initial impression was "big" but the intimate spaces really grew on me. All the HAL touches are there, but with so much more... the Odyssey Restaurant is to DIE for. The art is incredible!!!

More later... I'm working on my material and will have "live" photos tomorrow :)

17. OK - the SUITE question.

The dressing area/bathroom is pretty much re-designed - the bathroom for the better (very spacious), but the dressing room IS smaller. Not much of a vanity area in it, but it hasn't been deep-sixed entirely.

For those who want their cake and eat it, go for the Suites facing aft. WONDERFUL - with extremely DEEP balconies. The side-facing suites still have great balconies, but a smidgen less deep than on the other ships.

"My" (ahem ;) ) Penthouse Suite has been very much re-designed. Very large balcony with an outdoor Jacuzzi. But I would not be able to do my usual private dinners without some very fancy table maneuvering to accommodate my friends. There are 2 PS's on the ship.

Mary Ann, aka ShipMaven

18. Linda,

It was GREAT meeting you and Mel at long last!!!! Too bad the ship was a bit late in debarking so that it cut into our time together but, at least, WE GOT TO MEET!!!!

Glad you and Mel arrived home safely. Hope the weather cleared for you.

Mary Ann, aka ShipMaven

19. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Thanks so much for the dressing room/vanity info, MaryAnn.
    At least there is still something of a vanity....I will miss the big wonderful one we are accustomed to.

Also, thank you for the tip re: aft facing suites. I don't really enjoy that location or view....so I think we will stick with our regular port side , mid-ship location. I don't really mind if the balcony is a little smaller....they really are very spacious and a little less space won't matter all that much to me. As long we can enjoy our breakfast out there; stretch out on a chaise and read.....we'll be happy.

20. Sail - you'll still have plenty of room to stretch your legs, or sit and enjoy breakfast on your verandah.

Mary Ann, aka ShipMaven