1st Cruise in 20+ years. Taking our 5 year old with us. Are we insane? :)

GrapevineTexas

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be going on the Carnival Dream out of Galveston this upcoming March 2020. Our son will be 5 1/2.

The last time I was on a cruise was in 1996 on Royal Caribbean. Are we crazy for taking a 5 year old? Wondering if there will be enough for him to stay entertained over a 5 day cruise.

Thanks!

bob

Community Manager
Staff member
Not crazy at all if this is what you want to do and will enjoy doing it. If you do want some quiet time there are always kids programs that you can partake of that will definitely keep him entertained, busy and buy you a little personal time. The programs are usually broken down by age groups so he will be hanging out with kids in his own age group. You will still keep busy keeping an eye on him, kids are curious and the Dream is a pretty good size ship so there will be millions of things to be curious about but you will always get a hand from crew members if he chases a dream out of your sight.

GrapevineTexas

Thanks Bob! We are looking forward to it. I was just wondering if the kids activities were really as advertised or more of just a glorified baby sitting service.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I have no experience with Carnival let alone this ship. They get loads of kids though so they must be doing something right. I think that with a 5.5 your approach should be to check out the program and space for that age first thing on boarding.. Other lines have it scheduled for early PM in their programs for the day. Get a Program at guest services as you go by when boarding and/or ask someone when it is. Physically check the area where your child will be in if you are to leave him alone and THE STAFF who will be there during that time. And feel your way from there. Like boB says there will be all sorts of things fo him to get into and do you will just have to determine what you are comfortable with as far as programs. I have a feeling that your term "Glorified baby sitting" for kids at your age and younger is what you may find.

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be going on the Carnival Dream out of Galveston this upcoming March 2020. Our son will be 5 1/2.

The last time I was on a cruise was in 1996 on Royal Caribbean. Are we crazy for taking a 5 year old? Wondering if there will be enough for him to stay entertained over a 5 day cruise.

Thanks!
Hi @GrapevineTexas , No I don't think so either. We have taken many cruises now with our children who have now grown up cruising. I think when they are younger utilizing the kids camp can make for a better experience overall. It allows you to have some time as a couple even if it is just during dinner time or late night. Most cruise lines have great kids programs that the children will begin looking forward to attending and making friends. Like I mentioned you can often pay for an extended stay which I know Carnival (for example) calls Night Owls. It is an hourly fee and includes a party and goodie bag. We used this when our daughter was younger and she loved it. So whatever line your using, I'm sure they have something similar.

Don't feel guilty utilizing the kids camps. Your child will often make friends and enjoy being around kids their own age. So do your homework before or once onboard and enjoy yourself.

glo-ree-bee

You are NOT CRAZY. You are giving your son a great adventure and he may just remember if all his life. There will be plenty for him to do on a cruise. Our 5 year old grandson went on his first cruise with us 17 years ago and it began his love of cruising and he still goes when he has the money to spend! Let us hear from you once you get back on how it all went!

seamom

Hi. I sailed as a young single woman and came to C@ddicts looking for info on cruising with my son at 7. Duck to water... he loved the kids programs and into the teens on Princess and HAL so I’m sure Carnival will keep his interest. One cruise, we had to bargain to have him join us for at least one dinner as he was having too much fun with friends (so, we could too!). And imagine, the ship cooks to please everyone! You get to see cruising through new eyes and excitement and ports will offer additional fun. Enjoy!