Passport CARD

glo-ree-bee

We are in our 80s and our passport book has expired. We want to go on a Caribbean cruise and wonder if we can just buy a passport card instead? Will there be any problems with using those to get on and off the boat on a cruise? We do not like to think we have to pay the expense of a passport when at our age it is doubtful if we will even cruise again after this next cruise.

George C

I do not think passport card would be valid if there was a problem and you needed to fly back from Caribbean, that’s only negative I can think of wife family is close to Canada and they have the cards for that.

sptrout

I agree with "George C", get a Passport. We actually have both and while traveling to the ship my wife carries one set and I carry the other set. Never know what may happen before you even see the ship and you sure do not want to lose your Passport/Cards just before you get there. What a disappointment that would be. FYI - - We have a similar plan for any prescription medications. Losing some of ours would be an instant show stopper.

bob

Community Manager
Staff member
As above, bottom line you can't "fly" home on a passport card, well at least without a lot of pain and agony, so whatever you might save is not worth the value of holding a full take to the bank passport. In the end its a matter of choice and do you have any medical issues however slight take this into consideration in case of an emergency.

sptrout

I understand the limitations of a passport card, but I figure that a card would be better than nothing if outside the US, and our standard passports are lost/stolen or back on the ship in the safe. As for medical issues we travel well insured plus take secondary measures such as double critical or difficult to replace medications. No critical medical problems, but some of our meds cannot be stopped without a long tapering and are not typically easily found.

sptrout

One other thing about us taking both a standard passport and a card is that in the US a card will get you on the ship. Nine times out of ten the next time that we disembark is when the ship is back in the US. We have seen nearly all the Caribbean Islands multiple times and typically prefer just to stay onboard and enjoy a nearly empty ship.